Motor City Sonics

With the 23rd Pick of the first round the Detroit Lions select T Riley Reiff

Depends how far...the Steelers aren't known to have a great O-Line either and could've used a Tackle as well

Seeing as everyone bitches about Backus, here is your replacement

I think this year he's the the Cherelius replacement.

Decastro>Reiff?

In terms of needs for the Lions, T > G....though, to be fair, the entire line could use an upgrade

Either way, I'm glad they addressed the OL than reach for Jenkins

Decastro>Reiff?

I think so. I was excited the Peterman or Raiola era would finally be over. DD can play both.

Reiff is a bit of a boring pick, but I think it was needed.

At least the Lions finally stopped ignoring the offensive line and drafted one high and the draft. Also, Kiper and McShay both had him ranked in the top 20 and they watch a lot more film and study the draft more than any of us so I can take solice in that as well.

Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell

Not surprised DeCastro lasted this long. I saw him as good player but not special. Good pick for Steelers to fill a need.

From Chris Mortensen:

Detroit selected Iowa OT RIley Reiff. Evaluators talked about his strong, quick hands and recognition skills. They said he wasn't an elite athlete, but he is a finisher. He can improve as a run blocker. Detroit gives Stafford more help. Reiff was a standout wrestler at Parkston (S.D.) High School, winning three state championships (131-1). His younger brother, Eric, who is deaf, won the state 215-pound wrestling title last year.

Hopefully he pans out. Had to get younger and better on the O-line and if he can come in right away and play right tackle then I am ok with it. Must get defensive help with the next pick.

Is Reiff really a left tackle? I guess he at least gives you the option of trying him there and then if he fails, you can move him elsewhere.

We know he can move as he was able to outrun police while drunk for 20 minutes in '09.

Everyone is saying he's going to be a RT not LT. This pick sucks a fatty if this is true.

Well our RT is worse than our LT right now....

Not sure what kind of car Gos drives, but I bet you'll see if speeding down 75 South in about 30 minutes

I don't see Reiff as a RT at all. Very good pass blocker. Needs to work on run blocking. Makes up for his shorter arms with great ability to move his feet and punch with his hands. A better version of Bulaga basically. Worst case he's a stud LG a la Gallery.

Pro bowl guard is more important than taking your future right tackle.

I wasn't aware that DeCastro had already made the pro-bowl.

Then again, everyone makes the pro-bowl these days..

Just talked to my best friend who was high school lineman for Craig Krenzel. He loves this pick, predicts we'll trade up for a corner next pick. I consider him my own personal Kiper.

I wasn't aware that DeCastro had already made the pro-bowl.

Then again, everyone makes the pro-bowl these days..

Not anymore...

I don't see Reiff as a RT at all. Very good pass blocker. Needs to work on run blocking. Makes up for his shorter arms with great ability to move his feet and punch with his hands. A better version of Bulaga basically. Worst case he's a stud LG a la Gallery.

Makes you wonder what the plan for Backus is. Wonder if we can get more mileage out of him at RT or RG. Also makes me wonder what his status is.

I don't understand people complaining about the Reiff pick. We had a lot of great players to choose from, Reiff was one of them, and DeCastro wasn't head and shoulders above them all.

People have been bitching for years to get Backus' replacement. They finally do, and people are still bitching. Amazing.

Backus just signed for 2 years. He will be in the mix more than he's ever been.