davidsb

Brad Eldred 4 DH

'Better player' is subjective. I guess the best way to look at this is - who can better help the Tigers at this moment in time? Eldred fits this description. Nothing else takes priority.

And your opinion is also subjective. I'll take Worth instead of a AAA basher who has only 40 OPS points on worth in the MLB. Gotta love the 36.5% strike out ratio, too.

Could he be a late bloomer? I guess. Odds are just that he's hot right now.

Edited by alwaysthrowheat

And your opinion is also subjective. I'll take Worth instead of a AAA basher who has only 40 OPS points on worth in the MLB. Gotta love the 36.5% strike out ratio, too.

Minor league stats mean nothing, might as well include spring training stats also. Worth = Sizemore = Rhymes. Utility players at best, will add very little to the bottom line. Eldred has potential to help RIGHT now as a DH stopgap to Victor Martinez returning. I have no hopes for him doing anything more than that.

Because the difference in OPSing 750 and 950 in 78 AB over 2 seasons is enough to plan around. Because having half your hits be HR is something sustainable or likely to be carried over here.

The Tigers as an organization thought so highly of those AB over two seasons they sent him back down to the minors full time both times.

The point merely was, a slugger, including one of those you mentioned, could very well give the Tigers some good ABs right now while they need them.

You can talk about Worth's defense all you want, but he isn't going to be getting any playing time at SS or 3B, and I doubt Jim is going to favor him over Santiago at 2nd either, so it's not going to be very valuable to the Tigers.

Minor league stats mean nothing, might as well include spring training stats also. Worth = Sizemore = Rhymes. Utility players at best, will add very little to the bottom line. Eldred has potential to help RIGHT now as a DH stopgap to Victor Martinez returning. I have no hopes for him doing anything more than that.

If minor league stats mean nothing, then why are we having this discussion? I also mentioned major league stats, and nothing about minor league stats.

AAA bashers who have a sub .700 OPS in their careers, with a 36.5 K%, are even less helpful than utility players.

Assuming that Inge is going to be the one moving, the question you gotta ask is, do you need the 2B help? Worth is killing the ball too, and 2B has been by far the worst spot on the field. I don't know if they're really inclined to turn it back over to just Santiago/Raburn.

If something happens to Prince/Young/Dirks/Boesch, Eldred would probably get the call just by default more than anything, given how terrible the rest of the outfielders in the high minors are.

I don't understand the objections to calling him up. Of course he's not a prospect - he's 31. But he's on fire right now. Why not catching lightening in a bottle for 2 months or so - then ship him back out?

Here are my objections. How do you know he will catch lightning in a bottle for 2 months? How do you know Raburn or Young won't? Supposing he is hot out of the gate, how long after he stops hitting will he be placed in the line-up until the team gives up on him?

There is also the issue that just because a guy is hot at AAA doesn't mean it will translate to MLB.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

Assuming that Inge is going to be the one moving, the question you gotta ask is, do you need the 2B help? Worth is killing the ball too, and 2B has been by far the worst spot on the field. I don't know if they're really inclined to turn it back over to just Santiago/Raburn.

If something happens to Prince/Young/Dirks/Boesch, Eldred would probably get the call just by default more than anything, given how terrible the rest of the outfielders in the high minors are.

Worth is killing the ball and would like to see Inge DFA and Worth brought up to play full time. But in my opinion, this is secondary to improving our 14th ranked DH output with Eldred. Hitting is contagious, let's see what this bumpkin can do!

Here sre my objections. How do you know he will catch lightning in a bottle for 2 months? Oh, and then there is the issue that just because a guy is hot at AAA doesn't mean it will translate to MLB.

You can never know until you try!

Could he be a late bloomer? I guess. Odds are just that he's hot right now.

Right. So why waste that hot streak at AAA? Why not use it where it counts?

The point merely was, a slugger, including one of those you mentioned, could very well give the Tigers some good ABs right now while they need them.

And my point is the liklihood that he will provide enough good AB for it to actually matter by season's end is small enough that I wouldn't make the move. The team already has enough defensively challenged players, I really don't want to add another in the form of a 31 year old career minor leaguer who hasn't done squat in his career comparitively because he has had a great month of April in Toledo.

You can talk about Worth's defense all you want, but he isn't going to be getting any playing time at SS or 3B, and I doubt Jim is going to favor him over Santiago at 2nd either, so it's not going to be very valuable to the Tigers.

I frankly cannot remember the last time I mentioned Worth in a post, so I have no idea why this is addressed to me.

For the record, I have no interest in bringing up Danny Worth, and for much the same reasons as Eldred. Hitting really well for a month in AAA does not mean much by way of predicting MLB success.

Here sre my objections. How do you know he will catch lightning in a bottle for 2 months? How do you know Raburn or Young won't? Supposing he is hot out of the gate, how long after he stops hitting will he be placed in the line-up until the team gives up on him?

There is also the issue that just because a guy is hot at AAA doesn't mean it will translate to MLB.

Of course he may not be hot in the majors. But neither is anyone else.

Here's what we know - the Tigers aren't hitting. Eldred is on fire. He is obviously not a prospect.

So what's the harm in giving him a shot for a few weeks? The 2 months I wrote was completely arbitrary. Bring him up for 2 weeks. I don't care. My point is - he's smoking right now and the Tigers are wasting that hot streak in Toledo. Let him use it in Detroit then - when he inevitably falls back to earth - ship him out.

Of course he may not be hot in the majors. But neither is anyone else.

Here's what we know - the Tigers aren't hitting. Eldred is on fire. He is obviously not a prospect.

So what's the harm in giving him a shot for a few weeks? The 2 months I wrote was completely arbitrary. Bring him up for 2 weeks. I don't care. My point is - he's smoking right now and the Tigers are wasting that hot streak in Toledo. Let him use it in Detroit then - when he inevitably falls back to earth - ship him out.

The harm is the possibility the guy you are replacing would have performed better than Eldred.

Basically, the argument as presented is Eldred cannot be any worse than the options. Well, I don't buy that argument. I don't think it is a given Raburn / Young / Inge necessarily will continue to struggle to hit to the extent they have.

EDIT: I should be more clear on this. I believe Raburn and Young stand a better chance of outhitting Eldred moving forward. And I really don't care that much for either as a hitter. In fact, I hate Delmon Young as a hitter.

I frankly cannot remember the last time I mentioned Worth in a post, so I have no idea why this is addressed to me.

For the record, I have no interest in bringing up Danny Worth, and for much the same reasons as Eldred. Hitting really well for a month in AAA does not mean much by way of predicting MLB success.

It was addressed to everyone, given that this thread, and the board in general seems to think Danny Worth should be called up for some reason.

Outside of one season of 46 at bats in 2007 in which he was monumentally terrible, Eldred has been a 90 OPS+ guy in MLB, also in tiny sample sizes. He has 282 plate appearances. The fact is we have no idea if he can hit at all in MLB. But given the Tigers current roster he wouldn't have to be very good to be an upgrade. .250/.300/.460 doesn't seem impossible to me, and that's basically what Delmon Young is supposed to be capable of doing. In fact it's almost EXACTLY what he did last season with Detroit.

By no means do I think Eldred will be a GOOD MLB player, or someone who should stick around long, but do I think it's likely he'd hit better than Young, Raburn, Inge, Dirks, and everyone else who is possibly getting at bats in LF/DH right now? Yes, I think he would.

It was addressed to everyone, given that this thread, and the board in general seems to think Danny Worth should be called up for some reason.

It was written in response to one of my posts, so one can understand why I would think you were addressing me.

Outside of one season of 46 at bats in 2007 in which he was monumentally terrible, Eldred has been a 90 OPS+ guy in MLB, also in tiny sample sizes. He has 282 plate appearances. The fact is we have no idea if he can hit at all in MLB.

I agree. We do not know if he can hit at all in MLB.

But given the Tigers current roster he wouldn't have to be very good to be an upgrade. .250/.300/.460 doesn't seem impossible to me, and that's basically what Delmon Young is supposed to be capable of doing. In fact it's almost EXACTLY what he did last season with Detroit.

So we are supposed to replace a guy who is likely to produce at a certain level with a guy for whom it doesn't seem impossible to match the same level.

By no means do I think Eldred will be a GOOD MLB player, or someone who should stick around long, but do I think it's likely he'd hit better than Young, Raburn, Inge, Dirks, and everyone else who is possibly getting at bats in LF/DH right now? Yes, I think he would.

I would say it is at least as likely one of those guys gets hot in the short term.

How 'bout trying Raburn or Young for 2 months? You don't want to miss their hot streaks.

Young is the LF, we will see all of his streaks. Raburn can split time at 2B with Worth until he starts getting hot in June.

I would say it is at least as likely one of those guys gets hot in the short term.

It probably is, but Eldred is hot right now and at least has one legit tool (power) I'm not so sure that's the case for any of those guys at this point. I'm not really sure what Delmon is supposed to be good at anymore, striking out less and hitting singles I suppose.

Young is the LF, we will see all of his streaks. Raburn can split time at 2B with Worth until he starts getting hot in June.

I actually could see Young getting Monroe'd and Raburn being the everyday LF. But time will tell. I tend to doubt Raburn will be released simply because he isn't blocking anyone, he doesn't object to being a primary DH, can play OF, has a good arm, OK foot speed and can play 2B if need be. Delmon, OTOH, doesn't want to DH, can only play LF (and is a less effective LF than Raburn), has no arm and no foot speed.

It probably is, but Eldred is hot right now and at least has one legit tool (power) I'm not so sure that's the case for any of those guys at this point. I'm not really sure what Delmon is supposed to be good at anymore, striking out less and hitting singles I suppose.

Elmon is 26. It doesn't seem that likely to me he lost his power. It seems far more likely to me his is having a typical poor Elmon month, and at some point he will probably balance it out with a hot month, wherein will we see lots of wonderful threads suggesting that he has finally figured it out, and the Tigers should sign him to a 5-year deal.

OTOH, My guess is Eldred is just having one of those months where everything goes right rather than him figuring anything out. Bully for him. But shuffling around players trying to catch the tail-end of a hot streak seems to me like trying to chase small percentages you can't hope to catch.

Just read on twitter via Danny Knobler that Eldred has been called up to replace Inge.

I guess I can see trying to ride a hot streak but I'd rather see some D at 2nd with Worth.