davidsb

Brad Eldred 4 DH

What the hell. Call him up at this point. Our dh position has been poor this year. Send down dirks or dfa Inge.

When eldred fails, bring back dirks or call up worth.

Worth and Eldred should be called up. Inge and Raburn DFA'd.

I don't exactly have high hopes for Eldred. But he's not worse than Raburn or Inge so why not?

The one good thing I see about Eldred is that his K rate took a slight dip last year, and it's not horrible this year. But who knows how much that's going to jump if he gets called up. Sill...can't hurt to try it with Raburn hitting the way he's hitting.

Here's a better idea: Let's hire a competent hitting coach and make the most of the hitters we have on the roster.

Ask Curtis Granderson & Kevin Long - it works!

Raburn hasn't done **** today or all season for that matter. We can't wait until August or we will be too far behind the six and indians. Worth is hitting 400.

This seems like a good time to point out that Danny Worth is terrible, I mean we could use his defense but he has a career .693 OPS...in the minor leagues.

He'll be lucky to hit his weight in the bigs

Speaking of Larish, I noticed he signed a minor league deal with Baltimore before spring but hasn't played. Anyone know what he's up to these days?

I believe Larish was released right before the season started.

He will be up on the team (for good) by Friday. (at least until the trade deadline when they get Brandon Phillips).

You're joking about Phillips, right?

Worth and Eldred should be called up. Inge and Raburn DFA'd.

I don't exactly have high hopes for Eldred. But he's not worse than Raburn or Inge so why not?

The one good thing I see about Eldred is that his K rate took a slight dip last year, and it's not horrible this year. But who knows how much that's going to jump if he gets called up. Sill...can't hurt to try it with Raburn hitting the way he's hitting.

I agree with all of this.

This seems like a good time to point out that Danny Worth is terrible, I mean we could use his defense but he has a career .693 OPS...in the minor leagues.

He'll be lucky to hit his weight in the bigs

Unless Worth gets on the juice and really bulks up, I think he'll do considerably better than that.

In Mike Hessman's time with Detroit he hit

.256 .330 .615 .945 in 78 at bats

I'd take that

Because the difference in OPSing 750 and 950 in 78 AB over 2 seasons is enough to plan around. Because having half your hits be HR is something sustainable or likely to be carried over here.

The Tigers as an organization thought so highly of those AB over two seasons they sent him back down to the minors full time both times.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

Eldred on a possible call up:

"What you wanna do, at this point in your career for sure, is do some things to get people to take notice," Eldred, 31, said on his cell phone Wednesday afternoon from Columbus, Ohio, where he hit his latest homer, in the Mud Hens' 6-4 victory over the Clippers. "And hopefully, they like what you're doing."

"Obviously, it's hard to say I'm not seeing the ball well," said Eldred, a Florida native who stands 6-foot-6 and weighs 270 pounds. "For the most part, though, it's been a matter of selection of pitches. Obviously, being a power hitter, being a little too aggressive sometimes hurts you. I'm making more of an effort to see the ball deeper, and that's giving me a chance to make better swings."

"You never know how things are going to pan out," said Eldred, a sixth-round pick by Pittsburgh in 2002. "Being with the Tigers is great. I love it so far. And if an opportunity presents itself with them, it'd be awesome. But at the same time, you just gotta keep doing your thing."

From The Detroit News: Slugger Brad Eldred tearing it up with Mud Hens; will Tigers come calling? | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

I saw bring him up, maybe he can light a spark. Because right now this team has no mojo.

As for Danny, the dude can field, but he can't hit worth a lick... :)

Al Al moved to 40 day DL, clearing a roster spot. Hmmm.

Made room on the 60 man roster.

I don't understand the objections to calling him up. Of course he's not a prospect - he's 31. But he's on fire right now. Why not catching lightening in a bottle for 2 months or so - then ship him back out?

Unless Worth gets on the juice and really bulks up, I think he'll do considerably better than that.

Obviously Eldred is a better hitter than Worth, but that doesn't mean he's a better player.

Obviously Eldred is a better hitter than Worth, but that doesn't mean he's a better player.

Silliest thing I read today.

It's not silly. Defense counts, and Eldred doesn't play it.

I could care less if he even owns a glove, his only responsibility would be offensively. Tigers are not losing games because of bad defense.

I could care less if he even owns a glove, his only responsibility would be offensively. Tigers are not losing games because of bad defense.

That still doesn't mean he's a better player, because he's worthless if he doesn't hit.

That still doesn't mean he's a better player, because he's worthless if he doesn't hit.

'Better player' is subjective. I guess the best way to look at this is - who can better help the Tigers at this moment in time? Eldred fits this description. Nothing else takes priority.