FRM710

Michigan Basketball 2012/2013 season

Pumped. So glad to watch a game! It feels really weird to be ranked 5th nationally. Hoping there's nowhere to go but up!

Yes, finally get to see the Freshman in action. Really pumped to see it. The hype is fun, lets back it up.

How weird 6 years can make such a huge difference. 2012 sees the Big 10 the clear conference front runner, Michigan is freaking 5th, and Michigan st. Isn't in the top 3 in the conference.

This will be a very fun year.

Vogrich will be a weak link on this roster. Every season they say he is a shooter, but he never shows it. He doesn't really bring anything defensively either. I think Stauskus and GROB III have already shown more use than him. I hope his minutes are decreased as the season goes on.

Good performance by Michigan yesterday, get to watch them again tonight as they host Cleveland State. GR III is a real impressive talent. His type of athleticism is something Michigan hasn't had for sometime. This team is going to be tough to beat, Trey Burke is a flat out stud, he even grew an inch from last year.

It's just Cleveland St but UM looking very strong in all phases of the game. Nice to see some frontcourt depth with McGary, Biefeldt, and Horford all chipping in. Burke is unstoppable.

It's nice to see a Michigan team play well without too much reliance on the threes dropping. This will be a fun season.

Its too early to say exactly where we will stand at year's end, but this team is ridiculously talented. That goes without saying. Most talented since the Fab 5?

I don't want to get too excited until they start playing some real opponents, but dang. If Burke/Hardaway/Stauskas shoot the way they have been, GRIII keeps being the explosive player he's looked like, and Morgan/McGary/Horford gives them some rebounding...they're going to be really good.

The computers were impressed with Michigan's win last night. Sagarin would make Michigan the favorite against any opponent in the country on a neutral court. They're only #2 in his ratings, but #1 in his "predictor" metric.

USA TODAY

Ken Pomeroy moved Michigan from #11 to #4 after last night.

2013 Pomeroy College Basketball Ratings

Since it's still early in the season, last year's results are still weighing heavily on their ratings, which shows that they've been really, really impressed with the magnitude of Michigan's blowouts early this season.

Just to add a word of caution, Wisconsin blew out all their tomato can opponents last year and the computers loved them all year because of the blowouts, but they still ended up being not much better than a run-of-the-mill bubble team once they had to play real competition.

Sagarin and Kenpom both like Pitt and Kansas St (both rated in the top 25 in both polls), so the preseason NIT might be a lot tougher than the human polls suggest.

Just to add a word of caution, Wisconsin blew out all their tomato can opponents last year and the computers loved them all year because of the blowouts, but they still ended up being not much better than a run-of-the-mill bubble team once they had to play real competition.

I think we can safely conclude that this Michigan team is better than a run-of-the-mill bubble team. Michigan is athletic and much bigger than last year. With Kentucky losing last night I expect Michigan to move up to number 4 in the national polls next week. We are going to be tough to beat, can't imagine losing a game at Crisler.

John Beilein has done a great job with UM basketball. I'm glad at least one West Virginia transfer has worked out, lol.

I understand that, but Wisconsin didn't have 10-11 players that could score. UM is a much better team than Wisconsin was last year IMO. But it does have to be proven on the court and anything is possible.

I haven't had a chance to see them yet, but I've been looking forward to it. Ever since we switched to DISH (long story), I've had trouble with their search function to look for games. :ermm: I do finally have a TV sked, so now it's just finding time. Thank you, God, for DVRs.

Edited by djhutch

I haven't had a chance to see them yet, but I've been looking forward to it. Ever since we switched to DISH (long story), I've had trouble with their search function to look for games. :ermm: I do finally have a TV sked, so now it's just finding time. Thank you, God, for DVRs.

You will enjoy watching them. The contrast between last year and this year are stark. Last year, even these early games seemed frustrating. If it wasn't Burke or TH jr this team struggled to score. Instead of relying on Novak and Douglas we get Robinson III, who is a terrific rebounder which compliments his ability to finish, and then a much improved Morgan and McGary playing down low. And let's not forget that Douglas was supposed to be the sharp shooter of the squad, now that role falls on Stauskas, and that kid can fill it. Stauskas may cause some turnovers once the competition gets tougher, but that won't effect his ability to shoot.

Michigan had an off shooting night and basically beat Pitt by outrebounding them. Pitt has been an exceptional rebounding team in recent years and dominated the boards in their previous games.

Needless to say, this is not your typical John Beilein team.

That was a good test and win for Michigan. Out-rebounding Pitt, the 1-3-1, and some clutch free throw shooting is what won the game.

Burke was good, but he still makes some questionable decisions. A few too many bad three shots and some fouls at the end of the game. I understand that's part of how he plays, but he doesn't need to be the hero all the time on this team. Hardaway stepped up after having a pretty miserable first half. GRIII is the real deal, and you have to love what you see from Stauskas. McGary is just so raw, but I believe he will be a very useful player and hopefully will develop over time. As Dakich said, he plays too fast right now. Jordan Morgan is a completely different player than the one we saw two seasons ago.

That's a good NCAA tourney type win. Pitt is going to be a 6 seed or better this season.

K state tomorrow will be a similar test. I'd guess they will be around a 6/7 in march.

Michigan won 71-57. I missed the last 10 minutes of the game, but Hardaway looked excellent. Apparently he took a knee to the head late in the game, but reports are he is concussion free and will be fine.

Michigan won 71-57. I missed the last 10 minutes of the game, but Hardaway looked excellent. Apparently he took a knee to the head late in the game, but reports are he is concussion free and will be fine.

He was pretty woozy - could not walk straight coming off the court, but it did not look like he was ever 'out cold' at any point either.

He was pretty woozy - could not walk straight coming off the court, but it did not look like he was ever 'out cold' at any point either.

He looked OK afterwards, probably got a little knot.

Polls came out today. Michigan moved up from 4 to 3 in both polls and Ohio State moved from 3rd to 4th while Duke went from 5th to 2nd. This Michigan team is legit and can play with anyone in the country.

I am very impressed with how GR III rebounds, he gets to the glass hard and usually comes up with it.

I am very impressed with how GR III rebounds, he gets to the glass hard and usually comes up with it.

Agreed.

This also one of Hardaway's biggest improvements, kid is night and day from last year from rebounding, shooting and ball control.