FRM710

Michigan Basketball 2012/2013 season

I always thought Horford would develop into a superior rebounder. The big question mark for him is his defense. He'll be OK offensively.

There were some rumors prior to the start of last season that Horford was close to taking a lot of minutes from J Morgan.

Yah, I think that starting 5 is pretty locked.

I heard the Horford hype last year and he didnt look so good in the action he did see. Ill believe it when I see it. It would be a huge bonus if he could be a strong contributor.

I'm excited about Stauskas' shooting. We could use it to complement our other guys.

Jon Horford twisted his knee at practice yesterday. Beilein said he was concerned, and would get a report on it today. Oh boy...

McGary has been limited at practice. He's undergoing treatment on a previous ankle/foot injury. Doesn't sound serious, but still worth noting.

Jon Horford twisted his knee at practice yesterday. Beilein said he was concerned, and would get a report on it today. Oh boy...

Beilein said Horford has a strained knee and thinks he'll be OK for the opener. Good to hear it's not serious.

That is good news. Seems to be some pretty good press for Caris Levert as well, he has gotten zero press:

Five storylines from Big Ten Media Day

As for comparisons to current NBA superstars, LeVert has that covered. Given that he got to Michigan at around 6-foot-5 and a willowy 165 pounds, the nickname his teammates have come up for him seems appropriate.

“We call him ‘Baby Durant,’ not just because he has that body type, but he can do everything he does,” Tim Hardaway Jr. said. “Put the ball on the floor, defense, shoot the ball very, very well and rebound.”

It appears that among the high-profile talent Michigan has coming in, they may have managed to find a diamond in the rough,as well. If LeVert can contribute in a meaningful way this year, he could go a long way toward stretching defenses, providing backcourt depth and locking up opposing long, athletic players.

I am excited to see Stauskas shoot during games. At least we don't have to rely on Stu Douglas anymore.

With 11minutes left

UM 65 NMU 34

G Robinson 13 pts 2-3 3pt

Albrecht 14pts 3-6 3pt

Stauskas 14pts 3-5 3pt

McGary, Hardaway, Morgan all with 7 Rebounds.

I have been impressed with Albrecht, kid is a decent pg and can score a little as well. Helps he played with some of these guys in AA ball

Stauskas can shoot and looked good passing the ball in traffic as well.

I was just looking at pictures of the renovations at Crisler. Wow, it's hard to believe it is the same building. I can't wait to see some games this winter.

I was just looking at pictures of the renovations at Crisler. Wow, it's hard to believe it is the same building. I can't wait to see some games this winter.

We went to a game last year and the new seating and HD scoreboard were a great upgrade. The seats were actually comfortable in the 200 level. My only disappointment is they kept the row numbering from the floor. Instead of the 200 level rows starting at 1 they still start in the low 20's. I can't wait to attend another game this year to see all the improvements they've made in the last year. We're looking at the Central game at the end of December. Tickets are only $10.

I attended the first half of the game tonight. The new concourse is similar to Concesco fieldhouse's, which is to say it's nice.

As for the freshmen, I thought Stauskas, Spike and GRIII were all impressive. Lavert had a couple sick moves. McGary is relentless on the boards, but he doesn't have much "ups" and was inconsistent on D. He might not play too much against teams with quicker big men. Obviously, Spike was the big surprise and should be a very serviceable backup PG.

This team is a nightmare to guard. NMU packed the lane and let Michigan kill them from outside. If you play them man to man, they'll have 3 or 4 guys on the court that can beat you off the dribble if you over play them. If Michigan plays good defense, then their current lofty ranking is justified.

Edited by Sparks4Ever

Sounds like the freshmen will be a HUGE help this year. No wonder why Smotrycz and Brundridge saw the writing on the wall and left town in a hurry. Playing time will be tough to get with 10 or 11 players that can all contribute.

Re McGary; I suspect his foot issue is part of the reason for little "ups" and his inconsistency.

edit: read elsewhere that McGary is not in game shape and only recently started running sprints, this due to his foot injury

Edited by FRM710

Re McGary; I suspect his foot issue is part of the reason for little "ups" and his inconsistency.

edit: read elsewhere that McGary is not in game shape and only recently started running sprints, this due to his foot injury

That makes sense. In warm ups it looked like he was moving around pretty good, but then during the game he seemed to labor quite a bit. That might indicate that he's out of shape. I suspect offensively he will be utilized much like Morgan. Not a good post up guy, but a guy that can score off the pick and roll and get a lot of garbage baskets.

Edited by Sparks4Ever

Even though NMU and SVSU are a couple punching bags, I'm still encouraged by the way Michigan dominated them. This is probably a top 3 or 4 team offensively. Defensively, they might be somewhat run of the mill. We'll see how they do against higher quality opponents.

Been a long time since we have seen rebounding like this from a UM basketball team. Can they keep it up is the question.

Sounds like the freshmen will be a HUGE help this year. No wonder why Smotrycz and Brundridge saw the writing on the wall and left town in a hurry. Playing time will be tough to get with 10 or 11 players that can all contribute.

Smotz probably would have seen decent playing time at any school in the Big Ten last year, yet I'm not sure if he'd get more than 5-6 minutes/game on this team. The quality of Michigan's depth is crazy high.

Really liked what I saw from Horford on Friday. I wouldn't be surprised if he's starting by the end of this month.

Pumped. So glad to watch a game! It feels really weird to be ranked 5th nationally. Hoping there's nowhere to go but up!