jz

Weber fined $2,500 no suspension

For the record, I still want Weber in a Wings jersey next season. I think Holland, Babcock and Zetterberg do too.

If I could forgive Chelios and grow to love him Im sure Ill have no problem with Weber wearing the wingedwheel.

The one guy I could never forgive would have been Claude Lemieux. I would boo him in any sweater.

The one guy I could never forgive would have been Claude Lemieux. I would boo him in any sweater.

I was the same way with Ulf Samuelssen. I was disgusted when the Wings picked him up. I will never forgive that guy for ending Cam Neely's career with a cheap shot to his knee.

This is one of my favorite moments of all time

UOsdpCf7qmo

"You have to say this whether you like it or not, but when you live by the sword you're apt to die by it and this guy has done this to many players in this league"

What if Bertuzzi got suspended for starting a fight with Weber?

Then Id think Bert finally contributed value in this series.

If youve been watching hockey playoffs other than Detroit/Nashville youve probably noticed that all hell has broken loose in the normally fighting free playoffs. ESPN has a freebie where they mention the Weber hit on Zetterberg as a possible explanation as to why this year has been feistier than any time in the last 10 years or so at 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs: San Jose Sharks say recent playoff craziness is just part of the game - ESPN.

Heres an excerpt:

A weekend full of fisticuffs and cheap shots around the NHL playoffs has people around the sport buzzing.

Just what exactly is in those water bottles?

"It's playoffs, it's a scrappy time of year, especially in the first round," Sharks coach Todd McLellan said Sunday.

Well, yes, the playoffs are always intense and emotional. But it just seems like this year a line has been crossed in some cases. Or are we just getting more soft as a society that we don't stomach the same things that have always been part of the game?

Sunday afternoon's fight-filled circus in Philadelphia just added to a weekend full of chaos, which included suspendable acts in New York on Saturday as well a little craziness in St. Louis on the name night.

What gives?

Through conversations we had with several team executives and coaches around the league Sunday, we came up with a list of possible factors:

• The league's decision not to suspend Shea Weber for his transgressions on Henrik Zetterberg on the first night of the playoffs "allowed it to be open season" as one team executive said. "It started there."

• One by one, veteran NHL refs have retired from the league over the past few years, leaving many inexperienced on-ice officials in charge of playoff games, depending on the night. "Some of them don't know how to control a game," said one Eastern Conference coach.

• The players more than ever have very little respect for each other.

• One veteran player told ESPN.com on Sunday that he believes the weeding out of traditional tough guys has also open the door for "rats" to roam free on the ice and wreak havoc without any fear. He pointed, as an example, at Blues winger Vladimir Sobotka's punch that broke Dominic Moore's nose Saturday night. He said Sobotka would never have had the guts to do that "10 years ago," when NHL rinks were better patrolled.

• The incredible parity in the league has created a frenetic atmosphere in which teams are trying for any possible edge they can find in such closely contested series, and that includes trying to intimidate the other team.

Could the lack of real discipline on the Weber hit have precipitated this kind of lawlessness? IMO probably not consciously, but subconsciously , along with the lack of on ice retribution from enforcers, its probably the biggest cause.

I think it's a huge factor. Now that the league basically says you can do what you want without consequence, they do. And there's no fair on ice retribution, so everyone's on edge because it's not coming from someone you'd expect, you could get cross checked in the face at any time.

This could be easily fixed, imo, in 2 simple, easy steps:

1. Abolish the Instigator penalty. This penalty takes away the players ability to police themselves.

2. Ramp up suspensions drastically. This hurts the league in the short term, but dramatically helps it in the long term. Who would slam someone's head into the glass intentionally if Weber got a 10 game suspension for intentionally trying to injure someone? The penalties need to be stiff and without prejudice. I understand this is tough to accomplish with the NHLPA but this needs to be a huge sticking point for the next CBA. Asham should be suspended 15 games. Neal 20. These are serious transgressions that need serious punishments if the players are to believe there is some sort of downside to participating in goonery.

The NHL can't continue to be hypocritical about their stance regarding headshots and intent to injure if these things happen and go unpunished. The NFL did it right just recently with the Saints -- a huge problem exposed, and incredibly stiff, unprecedented penalties handed out. Why doesn't the NHL have the nuts to do this? Because their market share is tiny? Well, their market share is tiny because it's wrestling on ice and nobody really takes it seriously. Ask a typical person how much they associate physical violence with the NHL and Hockey in general and they are going to respond with an overwhelming yes. It's really gotten out of hand, and for as much as these respectless pieces of garbage players are to blame for the state the game has descended into, the true, significant blame lies with the league and their decisions to let it go unpunished.

I know that no North American sports league is going to look at international soccer as an example but really, look at international soccer. I can't help but be impressed by the fact that in the 1998 World Cup David Beckham got tossed out of an elimination game versus Argentina, in the 2002 World Cup Wayne Rooney got tossed out of an elimination quarter-final game versus Portugal late in the 2nd half when the match was tied, and in the 2006 World Cup Zidane got tossed out of the frickin' final during extra time. All huge names. And each of those red cards carried automatic suspensions of 1 match or more if the offender's team had continued on in the tournament.