jz

Weber fined $2,500 no suspension

This was worse than Stompin' Suh, but again - I myself don't think that what Weber did was borderline, it was flat-out dirty, but I am just telling you the way the league thinks when it comes to star players and the playoffs.

Remember the "Jordan Rules". You can call this stuff the "Forsberg Rules" because he was one of the dirtiest players around - but in the playoffs he never got called out on it.

The thing that really tweaks me here is Weber should be a repeat offender. Against Vancouver in the regular season, I believe, he hit a guy from behind that also deserved a suspension. No suspension came and, therefore, no repeat offender status. Its ridiculous that he slammed Zs head into the glass hard enough to crack his helmet in two places, yet the League, in its official response, doesnt acknowledge the hit as anything more than pushing his head into the glass. Z is a star player also isnt he? Why does one star p-layer deserve the benefit of the doubt when he endangers the ability of another star player to perform? This ruling is beyond ridiculous. Shame on Shanny and the NHL. Bettman is the anti-christ. Hes ruined hockey when he takes out fighting yet lets this crap go on unpunished.

Ya I was surprised he didn't get suspended for his hit during the regular season.

BUT DON'T WORRY, HE'S REALLY ON NOTICE NOW! THANKS SHANNY!

Why would the league do anything? The Wings just bend over and take it. They know they're not going to get any kind of response from the Wings other than a no comment, or we're only thinking about tomorrows game, etc. Do you think if they knew they'd get a Tortorella type response they might have handled it differently?

Isn't Zetteberg a star player though?

My problem is the "he didn't get hurt" argument. That's simply short sighted and childish. Do you let your 3 year old play with scissors as long as "nobody gets hurt"?

Wings aren't going to retaliate. There's no guys on the team who are capably of retaliating. Kronwall might look for a big hit on someone and that's about it. And he'll probably get suspended for it.

I hope they show a clip of Shanahan at the game on Sunday and he gets booed.

I think he's fallen below Sergei now.

If you were annoyed before, warning. This picture will piss you off.

20120412160618_2012-0412-dg-wings0270.jpg

Nashville's Andrei Kostitsyn, left, playfully pushes teammate Shea Weber into the glass during practice at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Thursday, April 12, 2012. (David Guralnick/The Detroit News)

If you were annoyed before, warning. This picture will piss you off.

20120412160618_2012-0412-dg-wings0270.jpg

Nashville's Andrei Kostitsyn, left, playfully pushes teammate Shea Weber into the glass during practice at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Thursday, April 12, 2012. (David Guralnick/The Detroit News)

Obviously that heavy fine imposed by Shanahan taught Weber a valuable lesson. Just look at the remorse in his face.

Let's face it, Weber got away with it. Babcock looked the other way, Holland looked the other way, the league looked the other way, and I don't expect the Wings' players to effect revenge tonight except maybe on the scoreboard.

Isn't Zetteberg a star player though?

My problem is the "he didn't get hurt" argument. That's simply short sighted and childish. Do you let your 3 year old play with scissors as long as "nobody gets hurt"?

Zetterberg is a star to us, but he is not an overall star in the NHL. Part of it is that he is quiet and doesn't complain like others and, let's face it, he's not Canadian. Yes, there is a bias.

Datsyuk isn't much of a star either, which is ridiculous since he's the best player in the game.

Shanahan played for 5 NHL teams...New Jersey, St. Louis, Hartford, Detroit and the NY Rangers...I don't think his stint with the Wings has anything to do with it.

Datsyuk isn't much of a star either, which is ridiculous since he's the best player in the game.

Can't agree with this, the NHL has produced multiple commercials centered around him (even had one with Zetterberg, the whole What if there weren't seven rounds or whatever thing around the draft). He gets voted by his peers as one of the best and national commentators acknowledge him as one of the best in the game.

I think it had more to do with the fact that Weber is an impact player and his absence could make a difference in the outcome of the series whereas I don't think Vancouver can really complain that they lost the series because Byron Bitz was suspended for two games.

Just wondering what will happen if this weekend Zetterberg begins having headaches and is unable to play. Will they go back an suspend Weber? Crosby ended up missing almost an entire year and finished the WC game where he received the initial blow to the head. Symptoms aren't always immediate.

Ya I was surprised he didn't get suspended for his hit during the regular season.

BUT DON'T WORRY, HE'S REALLY ON NOTICE NOW! THANKS SHANNY!

Double secret probation. Bettman is Dean Wormer.