jz

Weber fined $2,500 no suspension

By the way, if Kronwall does the same exact thing to Legwand and gets the same result - Kronwall would probably be suspended - because he's not a star player. Star players can pretty much do whatever they want. Forsberg was a dirty s.o.b, but he was a star.....so nothing ever happened to him in the playoffs.

I don't like the reason given for no suspension. Why does it matter that Zetterberg is expected to play tomorrow? I thought it's supposed to be about intent to injure? If Z didn't wear a visor, he would have certainly suffered injuries.

But you have to look at certain aspects the way the league does..

Weber is a star, and they don't want to take a star out of the game when it's borderline.

The league does not want to make a questionable suspension call that could tilt a close series one way or another. So, if it's a third-group defenceman, he is probably suspended a game, but not a star player.

Was this play dirty? Yes, it certainly was. Was it enough for a suspension? Questionable...and if it's questionable, they will be cautious and not suspend him.

How you gonna feel about Weber when he's wearing No. 3 for the Red Wings next year?

Just so I am clear:

If a player hits another player in open ice with his shoulder, while the guy getting hit has lowered his head, it's a suspension.

If a player DELIBERATELY smashes another player's head into the glass, it's what amounts to about a 15 dollar fine.

Imagine if this was Crosby getting hit like this.

What a GD joke.

You would call that questionable for a suspension? You've got pretty high standards for assault.

When it comes to a star player and a playoff series....yes it's questionable. Regular season he gets 3 games. Non-star gets 1 or 2 games. If Zetterberg had really been hurt he probably would have been suspended for 1 game.

By the way, I am of the believe that if you see a player deliberately hurt another....the offender should be suspended for the length of that player's injury +1. Yes, I am serious about that. When George Laraque purposely took out Kronwall's knee a couple of years ago he should be been out for 1 game longer than Kronwall was. Matt Cooke should have missed the rest of the season for what he did to Marc Savard.....and that includes the playoffs.

I told you. Zetterberg should have sat out practice today and said he was suffering from an "upper body injury". Then Weber might have gotten something. I don't get that not being injured thing. It doesn't help either that Babcock says nothing. While I don't think he should act like a whiny little girl, you gotta stand up for your team.

Dude, don't get mad at me.....I am basing my opinion on the way the league approaches these things. Not that enforcers have been taken out of the game, this crap goes on all the time. That was a very dirty play and we are lucky we aren't missing our second best player for a long time, but the league always changes their approach in the playoffs. Other than overtime, the game should be no different in the playoffs in the way its called and this crap is handeld, but it is different.

If it was darling Sidney instead of Zetterberg, Weber would be in jail right now. But that's the way things are. The Wings don't have an enforcer now, and they would be stupid to go after Weber now...remember what he did to Lilja? Just use this as motivation to beat them now. I would say after every whistle throw a little extra jab at his head or under his arm or give him a not-to-subtle whack or two........but if tomorrow's refs are anything like last night's, the Wings would be shorthanded. Marty Lapointe was not an enforcer.....but he'd run over Weber like a train tomorrow night.....too bad we don't have the equivalent. (and trust me, even if Bertuzzi was that kind of player still, after what happened a few years ago, I don't think he'd do anything like that again).

I don't understand why a player can only get fined $2,500 for something like this, but Tortorella can get hit with a $20,000 fine for cursing.

It will be interesting to see what kind of retaliation is dished out by the Wings at the next game.

What a joke. I saw the end of the game and didn't notice the hit because I stopped watching (and I was watching on a 15" TV in a hospital room with the volume off) Weber threw a punch, missed and then decided to ram Z's head in the glass and because he has no injury it is no big deal? A joke!

This has Bettmans finger prints all over it. For years the hockey universe has criticized his expansionism and here is one of his southern teams finally able to compete and he will do everything he can to make sure they advance.The officiating of Game 1 goes from comical to criminal here. What a joke.

But you have to look at certain aspects the way the league does..

Weber is a star, and they don't want to take a star out of the game when it's borderline.

The league does not want to make a questionable suspension call that could tilt a close series one way or another. So, if it's a third-group defenceman, he is probably suspended a game, but not a star player.

Was this play dirty? Yes, it certainly was. Was it enough for a suspension? Questionable...and if it's questionable, they will be cautious and not suspend him.

How you gonna feel about Weber when he's wearing No. 3 for the Red Wings next year?

That in no way was borderline. Weber grabbed the back of Zeterbergs head and slammed it into the boards. There was clear intent. The game was over. To think that is borderline is to be consciously obtuse.

You guys can keep arguing against MCS's points, but he called this to a tee. Personally, I think he's right on about everything he's said, save for the part about Shanny not wanting to be seen as helping out his former team.

If it's Alexander Radulov driving Hank's head into the glass, he's sitting out one, maybe even two games. If Hank got injured, Weber likely sits for game 2. But the NHL is a Mickey Mouse league now, and they hand out suspensions based on the outcome of illegal hits, not the underlying illegality of them.

I told you guys. I told you there would be no way he'd get suspended.

Yeah, but you're sir predicts-a-lot who lies about Avila hitting a walk off homerun before it actually happened... You should have told us Pavel Datsyuk would score the tieing goal so that would have happened

I told you guys. I told you there would be no way he'd get suspended.

Yep, you were right. I should've known.

Also, I forgot this:

4093950406_8cb48d5493_o.jpg

This is Shea Weber's first infraction of the playoffs. We are becoming more aware of head injuries that symptoms can take a while to become apparent.

Therefore, if this head slam happened to Sidney Crosby, but he felt okay NOW after the hit, is it still just a $2,500 fine and no suspension? Or is the league only going to suspend unless serious damage was done to the brain with immediate symptomatic response?

If that's the case, then it's a damn shame.

What happened to respecting a fellow player? It's the end of the game and he pulls that stuff? I look for the Wings to take game 2. :)

Or is the league only going to suspend unless serious damage was done to the brain with immediate symptomatic response?

If it's the playoffs, yes.

This is ridiculous. I guess this answers the questions on whether Shanahan will get his # retired by the Wings.

I wonder what the NHLPA thinks about this. This shows contempt for their health and well being.