mavscougars

Why can't I copy my Detroit Tiger games onto dvd from vhs?

I've taped games and collected them for a number of years, but for some reason the last two years I'm unable to put them onto DVD after taping from VHS. It's not my machine because any other station allows me to convert, but I'm not sure why I can't do this after taping them onto vhs. Any thoughts? Is it Fox Sports Detroit? Go Tigers

Holy crap... DVD recorders have been pretty cheap for well over 6 or 7 years now... you can get one for like 50 bucks probably and just record straight onto a dvd.

Seems like I bought one about 8 years ago for around 100, but for some reason prices haven't gone down a bit, still around 100.

Amazon.com: dvd recorder

It would certainly save you a lot of time though, and the quality would be much better.

Mine is like 4-5 years old, but I've always taped them onto vhs and then converted onto dvd. I was able to tape them for years from Fox Detroit, but for some reason it won't allow me to do it now. Any other station is fine

I found a few years back that when recording on my DVD recorder through a cable box that every other second of the broadcast was missing. It started the series the Cubs were at Comerica (2009?) and Raburn hit a walk-off HR. He swung the bat and then the ball was clearing the fence, it was the strangest thing. Since then, I've been recording with the cable directly into the recorder, which has a built-in analog tuner, with only a digital converter in between. I haven't had any issues with that setup.

I got a couple games on trade from last year that were recorded directly into a computer and burned to DVD. There weren't any issues with those either.

It works for me. But I use my PC with a TV tuner card. How do you hook up your VCR to your PC?

I like recording games onto my PC and then editing out the commercials. I can easily fit a 2 1/2 hour game onto one disc, using certain software. I record using a variable bit rate to an MPG-2. I then use TMPGEnc DVD Author to edit out the commercials and create chapters. Then I burn to DVD using DVDShrink (freeware).

Maybe there's some encryption going on with FSD now, I'm not sure. But if you can do it with other stations, it should work.

It works for me. But I use my PC with a TV tuner card. How do you hook up your VCR to your PC?

I like recording games onto my PC and then editing out the commercials. I can easily fit a 2 1/2 hour game onto one disc, using certain software. I record using a variable bit rate to an MPG-2. I then use TMPGEnc DVD Author to edit out the commercials and create chapters. Then I burn to DVD using DVDShrink (freeware).

Maybe there's some encryption going on with FSD now, I'm not sure. But if you can do it with other stations, it should work.

I've thought about going this route, is it easy? How much time is involved in editing the broadcast and burning? I'm not very knowledgable about doing it, but I'm sure I could learn. I usually record only the games I attend and keep the wins. I get home, electronically label it, finalize the disc and I'm done. Takes 5 minutes. The only drawback is because I record 3-1/2 hours to make sure I get the entire game the quality is what I would consider "very good," but there's pixelation. It also has commercials.

FSD used to do a three hour replay at midnight and that's what I would record, but they've shortened it to two hours. They cut too much of the game to fit it in that amount of time and keep all the commercials.

It's because you don't have the express written consent of Major League Baseball and the Detroit Tigers.

It's because you don't have the express written consent of Major League Baseball and the Detroit Tigers.

+1

That be the case...i tried doing jv's second no hitter-also sparky retirement ceremony and flag raising...no dice-my recorder said "this recording isn't vr compatible" so my thought was copyright infrigement. Also, I don't know about anyone else, but i have att uverse and apparently your only allowed "one copy" of a game...basically the dvr version is the only one you get.

It sucks...but i think fs detroit and maybe others are realizing this and trying to crack down on it.

That be the case...i tried doing jv's second no hitter-also sparky retirement ceremony and flag raising...no dice-my recorder said "this recording isn't vr compatible" so my thought was copyright infringement. Also, I don't know about anyone else, but i have att uverse and apparently your only allowed "one copy" of a game...basically the dvr version is the only one you get.

It sucks...but i think fs detroit and maybe others are realizing this and trying to crack down on it.

Maybe that's the case with the way you're going about it, but I can assure you it works for me.

I have a PC TV tuner card, hooked into a small Comcast analog to digital converter box.

I use the highest quality variable bit rate to record to my PC and the file usually comes out at about ~10 GB.

After editing out all the commercials, pregame and postgame, it comes out to about 5 to 6 GB.

With DVDShrink, it compresses the final DVD to fit onto one disc. Quality? Decent, better than a VHS tape but it's not Hi-Def.

As for the infringement? It's legal, with some gray areas. It's basically the same as recording it to a VCR. Is that legal? I would think so, otherwise they wouldn't sell a VCR or a PC TV tuner card. Besides, I don't sell or trade them, I just keep them to rewatch during the long winter. :classic:

I've thought about going this route, is it easy? How much time is involved in editing the broadcast and burning? I'm not very knowledgable about doing it, but I'm sure I could learn. I usually record only the games I attend and keep the wins. I get home, electronically label it, finalize the disc and I'm done. Takes 5 minutes. The only drawback is because I record 3-1/2 hours to make sure I get the entire game the quality is what I would consider "very good," but there's pixelation. It also has commercials.

FSD used to do a three hour replay at midnight and that's what I would record, but they've shortened it to two hours. They cut too much of the game to fit it in that amount of time and keep all the commercials.

It's not an easy learning curve, at least for me. But once you get the hang of it, it's really simple. I've had 3 different PC TV tuner cards through the years and each one had to be tweaked to get all the settings just right. And the software can be somewhat confusing until you've done it several times. I'm not real good with software, I'm more of a hardware geek. :classic:

It's also not cheap. And it can be even more expensive if you don't get quality hardware/software from the get-go. Trying to go cheap will only give you such poor quality that it's basically useless or having it not even work at all. Comcast supplies up to 2 free DTA little boxes. A decent PC TV tuner card runs from $75.00 to $125.00. And the only other cost is the Authoring software. My program, TMPGEnc DVD Author, cost about $75.00 many years ago. And that's a lifetime cost, once you have the program, you can use it forever. DVDShrink is freeware and really, really simple to use. So the only other cost is the blank DVD discs (and cases if you want them).

As for the time it takes to edit and burn? It takes about 1/2 hour to author all the commercials out and another 10 to 20 minutes to burn the DVD, depending on your burner/disc speed.

It's not an easy learning curve, at least for me. But once you get the hang of it, it's really simple. I've had 3 different PC TV tuner cards through the years and each one had to be tweaked to get all the settings just right. And the software can be somewhat confusing until you've done it several times. I'm not real good with software, I'm more of a hardware geek. :classic:

It's also not cheap. And it can be even more expensive if you don't get quality hardware/software from the get-go. Trying to go cheap will only give you such poor quality that it's basically useless or having it not even work at all. Comcast supplies up to 2 free DTA little boxes. A decent PC TV tuner card runs from $75.00 to $125.00. And the only other cost is the Authoring software. My program, TMPGEnc DVD Author, cost about $75.00 many years ago. And that's a lifetime cost, once you have the program, you can use it forever. DVDShrink is freeware and really, really simple to use. So the only other cost is the blank DVD discs (and cases if you want them).

As for the time it takes to edit and burn? It takes about 1/2 hour to author all the commercials out and another 10 to 20 minutes to burn the DVD, depending on your burner/disc speed.

I never knew you were such a techie, Brian.

Impressive!

I never knew you were such a techie, Brian.

Impressive!

I'm not, really. In 1997 or so, a friend was helping me build my dream PC. We were discussing parts and he was asking me if I wanted a gaming PC. I had been reading about the new (at the time) ATI All-In-Wonder cards with coaxial out. We set it up and it took me a good two years to finally figure out why all my sports were coming out all jerky playing, even though I was using an incredibly high bit-rate. I finally (by accident) figured out it was because I was using a CBR (constant bit rate) instead of a VBR (variable bit rate). After another year of playing around with it, I got as good of a quality as I could. Flash forward a few years and I was building another PC. I got the last of the ATI All-In-Wonder video cards they were making. Quality was maybe a little better, but this was with Windows XP. And with my last PC, a 64 bit version of Windows 7, I got a mid-priced, dedicated TV tuner card. Believe it or not, the quality from this card isn't nearly as good as my 10 to 12 year old All-In-Wonder.

I really want to find a Hi-Def TV tuner to record TV to my PC. All of my recordings are 4:3 aspect ratio and like I said, it's just a little better than a VHS tape. Very watchable but nothing like watching a game live in Hi-Def. I would probably have to rent another set top box from Comcast and I'm wondering if the cost is worth it. I'm already paying them an arm and a leg so sending more money to them seems quite distasteful.

But, Thank You for the kind words. I love sports, I record every Super Bowl, World Series and Lions games. I wish the quality was better but I'll take what I can get. : )

FSD and Big 10 network started putting a copyright signal on their broadcasts around 2009; so my Sony DVD recorder can't copy these games.

I bought a Toshiba DVD recorder at that time and connected it to my DVR and I have not had any copyright signal problems on any channel. Great unit at the time from ABC for under $100.

Both my DVD recorders are from 2006 so that's probably why I don't have any issues recording.

My dvd recorder is from about 2006 also, and I'm able to record anything from my dvr. I use the S-Video cable input and get pretty good picture quality depending on the recording speed. I like the 2 hour condensed replays that come on around midnight on FSD. The 2 hour recording speed looks much better than the 4 hour speed on my dvd recorder.

I looked into the product HomeRun DVR a while back. Basicly after you buy it, you need good computer equipment to run it. I tried costing it out, and to pay the cable company for their DVR is about the same as buying the equipment for Homerun. The main difference is you copy all the DVR to your computer harddrive. I would think that would enable you guys to do more HD burning, ect.

I've taped games and collected them for a number of years, but for some reason the last two years I'm unable to put them onto DVD after taping from VHS. It's not my machine because any other station allows me to convert, but I'm not sure why I can't do this after taping them onto vhs. Any thoughts? Is it Fox Sports Detroit? Go Tigers

I have the same issue. Also, I can't get my DVD to record ANYTHING on FSD. Yet, it will record on any other station. It's been like this for at least a couple of years now.