Sign in to follow this  
lordstanley

'68 World Series, Game 5

Another great find on YouTube. Just uploaded in November, and I had never seen it before.

Two 15-minute clips of the original NBC broadcast.

The first is the intro with George Kell & Curt Gowdy, the camera scans around Tiger Stadium, players are introduced one by one, starting pitchers warm up, Goose Goslin throws out the first pitch, and Jose Feliciano sings the national anthem. I had seen the national anthem clip and a tiny bit of the George Kell before but that's it.

The second clip is labeled as interviews, and indeed it does have that, with Tony Kubek conducting interviews of MLB execs from the stands and post-game talks with Lolich and Kaline. But the gem, to me maybe the best 3 minutes in the history of YouTube, starts at the 1:30 mark. With George Kell doing the play by play, Mickey Stanley reaches base in the 7th inning and Kaline comes to bat. Wow. You know the rest ...Then watch as the final out of the game is made in a way quite similar to the '87 division clinching final out. Of course it would have been nice to see and hear Brock being thrown out, but this is fantastic.

Edited by lordstanley

Thanks for posting this!

As you all know, because I talk about it all the time, I was at that game with my dad. Highpoint of my life. All down hill since. I peaked early, I guess.

so was I Bert....sat behind Willie Horton about 15 rows...my parents got the tickets for my birthday that was in December...my dad went to get the drinks when Horton cut down Brook at home plate..

so was I Bert....sat behind Willie Horton about 15 rows...my parents got the tickets for my birthday that was in December...my dad went to get the drinks when Horton cut down Brook at home plate..
I remember it so well. We sat behind the 3rd base dugout and just to the left, about 8-10 rows from the field. All the way to Detroit from my small town in NE Indiana--by secondary highways back then--we stopped for gas or get something to eat and the people we talked to were sure the Tigers were going to blow it. Jose Feliciano was startling. No one had ever customized the Anthem before then. Down 3 zip after the first and it sure did look bleak. Then that throw to home and it was like the universe tilted in our favor. Best thing ever Chaz. Best thing ever.

I have all seven games of this series on both TV and radio. Revisiting it is a delightful winter ritual for me each year, and I wasn't even born yet when the damn thing was played.

Edited by guy incognito

Great Stuff.....The Bad Hop, Kaline's hit, Lolich coming through again.......and they had better music back then, as well.

Great Stuff.....The Bad Hop, Kaline's hit, Lolich coming through again.......and they had better music back then, as well.
Yes, it just doesn't get better. On occasion, I can stop and remember how it felt when they won game seven, and a pleasant glow spreads over me from that memory alone. It's wonderful to share something from my youth with so many people.

Even in Boise, Idaho where I live, when I meet a rare Detroiter of my own age they get misty when they talk about it, men and women alike. We all remember being young and being winners at the same time and for the same reason. Regardless of all the things that separate us, this one experience unites us always. It's a sweet feeling of reverence for one of those rare times when at least one thing worked out and was perfect.

So many truly earth-shaking events happened in '68 - my life really can be divided as BN (Before Nineteen Sixty Eight) & AN. Lots of "firsts," but none of them are recalled as fondly as the Fall Classic that year. Freehan catching that foul pop to end it is one of those "where were you when...?" moments for me, & I suspect, for many Tiger fans.