RSS Feeder

Detroit Tigers: Tigers value versatility Kelly brings

Tigers value versatility Kelly brings

Posted by on 03-25-2012 04:41 PM.

Every player would like to be a star, but every team needs somebody who can fill a variety of roles. Don Kelly does just that for the Tigers.

More...

This RSS guy again. I hate these guys that start threads, but never participate in them.

This RSS guy again. I hate these guys that start threads, but never participate in them.

I heard RSS is an iPhone fanboy.

I heard RSS is an iPhone fanboy.

Until apple sues RSS, claiming that they invented the technology.

I thought he was released.

Anyone who doesn't like Donny Baseball Kelly is a cotton-headed ninny-muggings!

Here's the thing... players like Don Kelly have a value to a team. A player who is good defensively at multiple positions who can at least sorta hit are valuable. I'm thinking of Shane Halter... well, before he got all uppity about being replaced as the regular SS.

But Don Kelly has three major problems against him:

1. I don't know that I would say he's good defensively. I mean, he's probably above average at some positions, but I think he's a liability at others (namely, middle infield).

2. I don't think you can say that Kelly can sorta hit. Again, looking at Halter. He was in the mid .200 while in Detroit. Kelly... he isn't even in the low .200 area.

3. Leyland has some strange love of Kelly. This isn't Kelly's fault of course... No one expects him to go to his manager and say: "Look boss... maybe you should put someone else in there? Ya know... someone hitting over .300 instead of below .200?" But for whatever reason Kelly is getting a LOT of playing time. So far the Tigers have played 44 games... Kelly has played 151 defensive innings... the equivalent of 16.7 full games. He's appeared in 28 games, even stated 9.

Now, let's compare this to another bench player the Tigers have... one Matt Tuol... um, Toulioss... um... the guy who wears number 18. Matt, who I don't think is really THAT much worse defensively than Kelly, is hitting freakin' .341!! We're talking not that far from double Kelly's awful .197. But Matt has only 103 1/3 defensive innings.

To put it briefly... Kelly is a player who is only marginally better defensively at only some positions, while being a considerable offensive liability. Yet his manager for some reason sees fit to give him much more playing time than others who are out performing him.