Sign in to follow this  
lordstanley

Scoreboard Watching

This should be a fun night, the start of a 4-day weekend in Canada, while basking in an Opening Day victory. In addition to Wings-Devils, games that have my interest:

- Tampa at Toronto - Stamkos needs 2 goals in 2 games to hit 60

- Buffalo at Philly - Would love to see the Sabres get in over Washington; also interested in the Wings finishing top 5 NHL overall and currently they're T-5 with Philly

- Florida at Washington - Panthers need a point to clinch the division

- Dallas at Nashville - go Stars

- Chicago at Minnesota - go Wild

- San Jose at LA - start of a big home and home that could decide the Pacific division title as well as which team misses the playoffs from the Pacific contenders

Blackhawks are 2 points behind the Wings after tonight. Who holds the tiebreaker if the Hawks win in regulation on Saturday?

Apparently the Hawks would jump the Wings with a regulation win. Also, the Sharks have a shot at the 3 seed. Everybody ready for Wings vs Sharks in the first round?

The Pacific is such a jumble. Close on points, ROW, season series and in the case of San Jose-LA Kings, goal differential. I believe that the Sharks would still be alive for division title with anything other than a regulation loss tonight. Yikes.

The 1st place teams in the NHL - Rangers and Canucks tied - only after 109 points, just 8 more than the Wings. When was the last time the President's Trophy had such a low point total.

Darn, SJ takes 5-4 lead with 7 minutes to go. Not only does this worry me for the Wings, but I was hoping for a SJ regulation loss because that meant either Vancouver or STL would have to play them in the 1st round.

Sharks win in SO. Yikes, Sharks-Wings in the 1st round is a distinct possibility. That's the nightmare scenario.

If Phoenix wins out, they win the division.

Edited by jz

If Phoenix wins out, they win the division.

Yes. If only the Wings had simply picked up a bloody point last night to lift themselves free of the 6th spot risk. Because Phoenix plays St. Louis and Minnesota and I may need to cheer for them until we know the Wings aren't playing the Pacific winner. I would have preferred to cheer for St. Louis tonight because I'd like the Blues to be the #1 seed - if the Wings win the 1st round and the higher seeds take care of business, I'd prefer Detroit playing STL in the 2nd round instead of Vancouver.

Not so much an issue now but I curse any NHL standings that are published that doesn't include a games played or games remaining column because I'm just too dumb to figure it out on my own.

Phoenix looked pretty impressive against the Blues. A point on Saturday and they clinch the Pacific Division.

Saturday is going to be a fun day of hockey. A couple division titles, the President's Trophy and playoff positioning still up for grabs. We also get the Wings vs Blackhawks and the game I really can't wait to see, the Pens vs Flyers.

Edited by jz

I am not really concerned. We know it's gonna be Nashville - and I don't think the home/away is gonna matter all that much.

Any team in the West could win the conference.

I think 14 teams have a legitimate shot at winning the Cup this year. I would be really shocked if Washington or Florida wins it, but anyone else is no surprise to me. This might actually be the year San Jose gets there (the no expectations thing).

I like that there is a full schedule - but I think some of the matchups are off.

I would do this - and I would give them bowl names for the last game of the season

Detroit-Chicago GREAT LAKES BOWL

St. Louis - Colorado CONTINENTAL DIVIDE BOWL

Edmonton - Calgary ALBERTA BOWL

Winnipeg - Minnesota TUNDRA BOWL

Vancouver - San Jose EA SPORTS BOWL

Dallas - Phoenix WILD WEST BOWL

Los Angeles - Anaheim SO CAL BOWL

Pittsburgh - Philadelphia PENNSYLVANIA BOWL

NY Rangers - New Jersey LINCOLN TUNNEL BOWL

Tampa Bay - Florida SUNSHINE STATE BOWL

Nashville - Carolina NASCAR BOWL

Ottawa - Washington CAPITAL CITY BOWL

Boston - Buffalo - INFERIORITY COMPLEX BOWL

Toronto - Montreal - INSIGNIFICANT BOWL (some years it will be RIVAL BOWL)

Columbus - NY Islanders - LEFTOVER BOWL

Edited by Motor City Sonics

We don't know that the Wings are going to be playing Nashville. If the Wings lose, they fall to the 6 seed and play the Pacific division winner.

Any team in the West could win the conference.

I think 14 teams have a legitimate shot at winning the Cup this year. I would be really shocked if Washington or Florida wins it, but anyone else is no surprise to me. This might actually be the year San Jose gets there (the no expectations thing).

Los Angeles does not have a legitimate shot at winning the Cup.

Phoenix does not have a legitimate shot at winning the Cup.

Florida does not have a legitimate shot at winning the Cup.

Ottawa does not have a legitimate shot at winning the Cup.

Vancouver is the overwhelming favorite in the West. Followed by Detroit-San Jose-Chicago lumped together, with STL and Nashville a notch below and then L.A. and Phoenix stragglling.

Not so much an issue now but I curse any NHL standings that are published that doesn't include a games played or games remaining column because I'm just too dumb to figure it out on my own.

The NHL points standings is a joke. ROW, SOL, OTL. SOW, Huh? W-L is good enough for baseball and basketball and W-L-T for football, but you need 9 frickin' columns for the NHL?! Loser points suck. If you got 2 points for a win and 0 points for a loss, the Wings and Blues would be tied for 1st, Nashville would be 1 game back and Chicago would be 4 games back.

Edited by lordstanley

The NHL points standings is a joke. ROW, SOL, OTL. SOW, Huh? W-L is good enough for baseball and basketball and W-L-T for football, but you need 9 frickin' columns for the NHL?! Loser points suck. If you got 2 points for a win and 0 points for a loss, the Wings and Blues would be tied for 1st, Nashville would be 1 game back and Chicago would be 4 games back.

I'm fine with loser points, especially since we have a skills competition deciding overtime games. Take away the Wings 9 SOW and where would they be?

Get rid of the shootout and go with a ten minute OT. If it's tied after that, award both teams a point and be done with it.