Sign in to follow this  
lordstanley

Scoreboard Watching

With 8-10 games to go in the season, it looks like St. Louis and Vancouver are locked into the West's #1 and #2 seeds. After that, all bets are off. The Preds, Wings and Hawks have probably all done enough to make the playoffs (although 9th place is only 8 pts behind Nashville and Detroit), but matchups are still in flux.

A few possibilities for the Wings:

- A return to form by the Wings allows them to grab 4th place in the 1st round to host Nashville or Chicago

- Mediocre play by the Wings puts them in 5th and on the road to start the 1st round against Nashville or Chicago

- The freefall continues OR strong play by both Chicago and Nashville drops the Wings to 6th and a 1st round date opening on the road to the Pacific winner, either Dallas, Phoenix or San Jose.

Do we want the Sharks to make the playoffs? I don't want them to win the division, at least as long as the Wings are at risk of dropping to 6th, but them squeezing into the playoffs in 7th or 8th would mean a tougher 1st round opponent for STL or Vancouver in my view than would Phoenix or Colorado. A dream scenario would be San Jose knocking off STL in the 1st round thus playing Vancouver in the 2nd round, allowing the Wings to stay away from the top Blues and Canucks the first two rounds.

As for the Preds, the Radulov affair is annoying but overblown. He won't be the difference maker in a Wnigs-Preds matchup. The Wings' own play for good or for bad, and extent of injuries, would be the difference.

Stanley, I think that scenario with the Sharks facing StL in the first round would be the most beneficial to the Wings. I want no part of the Blues in the playoffs after all the struggles they have given Detroit this year. I wouldn't mind seeing with Chicago or Nashville in round 1 but so long as the Wings have home ice.

The Radulov thing is very fishy to me seeing that he is going right back to the KHL next season. He is a dangerous scorer for sure and adds something the Preds lack which is guys who can put the puck in the net. Not sure how big of a difference he makes but still don't like the whole situation.

I think ideal for the Wings at this point, with first place being unlikely, is a first round matchup with Dallas...Phoenix wouldn't be bad with the exception of the travel...I really don't want any part of Nashville or Chicago in the first round...but as they say, you have to face them at some point to get to the finals...I just keep thinking St. Louis has to falter at some point this year, and hopefully it's in the playoffs...they've just been playing at such a high level for so long, it doesn't seem sustainable for such an extended period...at least I hope...

It's a longshot, but I haven't given up hope completely on 1st place. St. Louis MUST lose tonight in Phoenix. If they lose in regulation and the Wings take care of business tomorrow at home to Columbus, the gap would be 4 pts with 6 to play, including one head-to-head matchup.

Nashville is at Chicago tonight, I have a slight desire for Chicago to win so that the Wings are 1 up on both with a game in hand on both. Main thing is to avoid a 3pt game.

Big night in the Pacific. Dallas loses. Los Angeles loses. San Jose wins.

Sharks are alone atop the Pacific and currently in the #3 seed. Hmm, let the 1st round series play out without upsets and it could be Detroit-STL and Vancouver-SJ in the 2nd round. I'd take that.

Buffalo @ Washington tonight should be fun. So will Nashville @ St Louis.

Im more worried about Howard getting healthy and back into a groove than matchups. Without Howard playing well we lose to whomever we play.

Buffalo thumps Washington. Leafs booed heavily final 5 minutes of elimination game. Hawks lose in OT and at 4 pts back with one fewer game to play than the Wings means 6th is probably out of the question for Detroit.

3-0 Blues. Wings hold onto a 1 point lead over Nashville with a game in hand. The game Friday is going to be awesome.

Yep, if the Wings can win the next 2 games then home-ice is all but theirs. They'd have a 4 pt lead (or 5 if Friday's win were to be in regulation) with 4 to play.

With Chicago's regulation win over Nashville, the Wings control their 4th place destiny again.

The streaking Blue Jackets beat the Blues so the Canucks with a win tonight would move into the #1 seed.

Huge Dallas @ San Jose game tonight. A Sharks regulation loss and they'd be all but dead, 3 pts out of 9th with 3 to go.

Florida still has a lot to play for so the Wings better be ready for them.

At this rate it will be a first round sweep, from an amped up team who might not be as good, but gets worked up to beat the Mighty Red Wings.

The problem with a 6 seed is that these Wings might feel it beneath them to get charged up over Dallas or Phoenix or LA Kings and would be down 2-0 before they knew what hit them. Maybe the Wings playing the Hawks is the only way to be assured of the Wings coming out to play.

I wish there was some way of predicting, but there really isn't. They've gone into the playoffs on a roll and lost early and vice versa. What year was it we lost first two games home games to Vancouver and were down in game 3 and came back to win the series and the Cup? It sure doesn't look good for them right now the way they are playing and with the parity in the league, but an early exit wouldn't surprise me and neither would another Cup.

Huge regulation loss by Washington last night, blowing it with a goal to Stamkos with a minute to go.

The Kings took a big step towards the Pacific crown with a victory last night. They'd be a tougher #3 seed, IMO, than Dallas or Phoenix.

Tonight, Florida can win the Southeast with a home win to Winnipeg. Would they be one of the worst division winners ever? 91 points, 14th in the NHL in points, 17 loser points, a neg.24 goal differential.

Preds host the Wild tonight. Minnesota has won 3 straight so it would be nice if they coudl help us out but I'm not counting on it.

Sharks and Stars play tonight. Imagine if the Canucks in consecutive years win the West's #1 seed but get rewarded with Chicago last year and San Jose this year as the #8 seeds.

Caps fans must be tearing their hands out. They've been so close to getting the playoff position edge. But then last night they give up a goal with a minute to go to lose in regulation. Tonight Buffalo scores 2 goals in the final 5 minutes and then beats Toronto in OT. The Panthers after blowing a 3-0 lead salvage a point by scoring with 4 minutes to go.

So Florida needs a point in either of its final 2 games to clinch a playoff spot and the Southeast. Washington and Buffalo are tied with 2 to go with the Caps holding the tie-breaker.

San Jose has just scored to lead Dallas 3-2 late in the 2nd.

Minnesota is holding Nashville 1-1 in the 3rd, try to steal at least a point for us.

Philly and Boston have both lost keeping alive the Wings' chances of finishing in the top 5 overall.

The Radulov thing stinks, as does the Sabres joke goal to tie it with a minute to go. Puck is at the bottom of a pile for 7 seconds in front of the net and the ref never blows it down.

Sharks win, keeping alive the daunting prospect of a Wings-Sharks 1st round matchup.