bob2009

Signings You'd like to see

So we've all mentioned various signings we'd like to see happen at various points in time, but I thought I'd start a thread for it. Maybe the promoters will read it and actually consider some of these. The only rule is to be realistic- no requesting the impossible (i.e., the incarcerated Marty Castillo, the deceased Aurelio Lopez or the blatantly uninterested Steve Yzerman/Brendan Shanahan). just the ones who are actually possible....here would be some I'd like to see happen, in no particular order. Feel free to add on to it (any sport):

Mickey Lolich, Denny Mclain and Bob Gibson- Whoever pulled this off would bring down the house. Just the anniversary cover of sports illustrated alone would bring the people. If they found a way to bring in Brock as well? Wow. Let's face it, we all have the 68 tigers, but a lot of us also admire those stars of the cardinals and what they accomplished in the 60s. Put them together with Lolich and/or Mclain and I think you have a winner. Gibson and Brock both do shows all over the country, so it isn't like they aren't doable.And their prices are not outrageous, even at the national shows.

Gordie, Mark and Marty Howe- Mark and Gordie have been around recently, and Gordie does plenty of shows, even in declining health. But if somebody simply brought Marty a plane ticket to Detroit, all they would need to do is print up some of those great photos from their WHA days. They would absolutely clean up.

Doug Brown- Former Red Wing. There isn't one person I know who doesn't need him for their 97-98 stuff. I don't recall that he's ever done a paid show around here, but I believe he is still in the area. I believe he may have signed at the Joe on a couple of occasions 5 or 6 years ago, but that's it.

Sergei Fedorov- Enough time has passed. Sergei is one of the greatest wings ever. He is very charitable and still maintains a home in the area, I believe. I guarantee you if you brought him in with perhaps some of the proceeds going to a good cause, he'd be here. There are plenty of people who still need him and frankly, he hasn't been around for a public signing in almost 10 years.

Rocky Colovito- Just did a show in Chicago last year. pretty scarce on the autograph circuit, but I think it could do well.

Charles Woodson- he's done some national signings and I'm assuming the price would be high. But if you bring him in, say in connection with the Gridiron Greats show (hint hint, DC Sports), You would need to have the show in the main hall at the suburban collection showplace, not the small room they've been using. You could easily draw 1000 people for Woodson, I'm guessing. He is one of 2 living Michigan Heisman winners. Did you see how well Desmond Howard did at a couple of signings last year, including the Gridiron show? This would be a huge success.

Any NHL hall of famer we haven't seen in 8-10 years (or ever): This is an easy one. Ray Bourque was extremely well attended last month at Gibraltar. Give us Frank Mahavolich, Pat Lafontaine, etc. etc., advertise it, and you'll do well. Same thing goes for some baseball hall of famers too.

Edited by bob2009

I'd love to see Michael Westbrook and Kordell Stewart so I could get my SI from "The Catch" signed.

I'd also absolutely love to see Mike Utley come for a signing.

Along with Fedorov and Woodson, a few guys I personally would like to see are Kenny Rogers, Chris Webber, and Chris Spielman. All guys who would be pretty popular in this area, and I don't think prices would be outrageous. I would think those guys would draw enough people to make it worthwhile for a promoter. I have no idea if they do too many signings though.

I'd love to see Michael Westbrook and Kordell Stewart so I could get my SI from "The Catch" signed.

I'd also absolutely love to see Mike Utley come for a signing.

Michael Westbrook owns, and trains at, an MMA facility not far from me in Mesa. Not sure if he signs TTM.

Chet has done exactly 2 public signings in Detroit that I'm aware of: 2002 & 2009. I was at the 2009 show. It was at crappy Macomb mall in an abandoned store in the middle of August. It was about 100 degrees in the store and they had fans everywhere, but nothing helped cool it off. I think there were over 500 people there. He doesn't do many shows so I'm not sure we'll see him up here again anytime soon.

I would love to see a Verlander, Hernandez, McLain signing. And if they could have the Rawling Cy Young baseballs available it would be even better.

Les Cain and Denny Ribant. I know Denny signs through the mail but I have too many team signed things I don't want to risk for a mailing.

Along with the other 1968 Cardinals I would like to see Tim McCarver. He's in a lot of the photos of Tiger hitters from the series. He just did a show in St. Louis the $49.00 fee was a bit steep.

I agree with the Kenny Rogers request. I have a Gold Glove baaseball waiting for him.

Miguel Cabrera would be nice. Perhaps for charity.

I would love to see a Verlander, Hernandez, McLain signing. And if they could have the Rawling Cy Young baseballs available it would be even better.

Les Cain and Denny Ribant. I know Denny signs through the mail but I have too many team signed things I don't want to risk for a mailing.

Along with the other 1968 Cardinals I would like to see Tim McCarver. He's in a lot of the photos of Tiger hitters from the series. He just did a show in St. Louis the $49.00 fee was a bit steep.

I agree with the Kenny Rogers request. I have a Gold Glove baaseball waiting for him.

Miguel Cabrera would be nice. Perhaps for charity.

Cabrera is doing a signing with DC Sports this Spring. No official date set, but it is happening.

Tell you what, I amend my original post to add another (I reserve that right as I think of more :grin:)....

Paul Carey, former Tigers announcer with Ernie. Paul is local, a heck of a nice guy and hasn't done anything that I can remember in terms of public signings. Based on the turnout for Ray Lane and Jim Price over the last several years, Paul would do great. Seems like the ideal choice for either the Redford VFW or DC sports.