Sign in to follow this  
MSUBrian11

Who do you want as the 5th starter?

Who do you want?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want?

Pretty irrelevant at this point, IMO. Oliver has looked the best but right now that means zilch.

I voted for Smyly but expect Oliver - the reason being that if Smyly has improved enough in the last year and is still improving fast enough to leap-frog Oliver in spring-training, maybe he's going to be a guy that out-performs his projections. So that is what I'd want - though I don't particularly expect it.

Edited by Gehringer_2

Really doesn't matter who we want, Leyland has some unknown formula and will select who he wants. And what Yoda said.

Verlander. That means the rest of the rotation is incredibly super awesome!

I guess I'd want either Oliver or Smyly because they have the best chance of becoming long-term starters. Below and Wilk will probably end up in the bullpen eventually. I don't think it matters who is the fifth starter at the beginning of the season because they'll probably need at least seven starters throughout the season.

I voted for Smyly simply because he was my AAT in 2011.

His success is only more encouraging.

Oliver has been a welcome suprise this year, and although alot of peeps may disagree..id be stoked if JL brings Oliver North as his third lefty and Long reliever in the pen.

I think despite his value as a starter being diminished by a bullpen role, that he could be more valuable to the team as a long reliever than in Toledo if he doesn't get that 5 th spot in the rotation over Smyly.

Oliver.

He was very highly thought of as recently as last spring. Then he had a terrible 2011. If he becomes the fifth starter, then I have a bit more faith that he can live up to his ceiling that was advertised in the past.

I heard if things don't work out at 2B that Inge wants to try out for the 5th starter spot. :)

He says he could throw 97mph, just didn't know where it was going all the time, which come to think of it - pretty much describes his throwing from 3rd as well. :laugh:

I voted for Below because the 5th start in April seems to get missed every now and then. So put both Smyly and Oliver in the rotation in Toledo and then re-evaluate on May 1.

I want it to be Smyly, but I think it's going to be Oliver. Though they both really auditioned well yesterday, consider Oliver was pitching against more major leaguers than Smyly was. I think Smyly has more potential but the fact that Oliver has a few starts in the majors under his belt will definitely help him win out. Smyly will likely be the first guy up for a spot start or if something happens to one of the 5. I think Below will be in the pen and could be a good reliever. I have a feeling Turner won't be pitching a lot this year - at least not the next two months. Better that they let him get rest. He's 21 - no need to rush him up now.

At this point, I'd do Smyly with Oliver in the pen for long relief. But there's still a few weeks left.

Smyly.

Oliver has no control and the other 2 do nothing for me.

At this point, Oliver makes the most sense. He's always had the talent, but needed to put things together with his control. Smyly would be well-served if he began the year in the minors and gained a little more experience before being thrown to the wolves.

Of course, that could all change if Oliver struggles the rest of this Spring & Smyly (EDIT) continues to look excellent.

Edited by spikesglaring

Oliver has the most raw talent out of the guys we had competing for the fifth starter spot, so if he shows that he's put it all together (keeps his delivery slow even with guys on base and not walking people at the crazy rates he had been putting up in the majors) throughout the rest of the spring he makes the most sense as fifth starter.