dabeave

Handicap Seating

A few years ago, I brought my elderly grandmother to a game. I called ahead to my rep / box office and asked if there were any handicap seating available. They told me no. I ended up parking near the stadium, and still needed to use a wheelchair for her as the walking was too much. When we got to our seats, we left the wheelchair at the top of the section, and I helped her down the stairs to our seats.

What bothered me was, at the top or our section there was a row designated for handicap people. Taking up those seats were some guys in their late twenties, early thirties, and mostly drunk. There was no indication of crutches, walker, or anything that would indicate they had a problem getting around. They looked very able, with the exception of inebriation.

From other posts on this board, I see people talking up the ‘extra space’, and comfort of the handicap seating. I see people on Ebay doing the same. This just pisses me off.

It is my opinion that, unless you have a handicap parking sticker or doctor’s note, you should NOT be allowed to sit in those seats. There really aren’t that many of those seats, and I don’t see the Tigers losing out on much revenue for keeping a restriction like this in place. Frankly the issue seems to be the same as any parking lot, but with no enforcement.

Show up game day and ask to swap your seats at customer service in the stadium. I've had relatives do that shortly after knee surgery.

The optimal solution to me is they sell the handicapped seats with a warning that at the usher's discretion you may be moved to another seat or SRO if someone needs those seats.

And the ushers in my area always keep out the riff raff from sitting in the handicapped row. You can't even stand there.

Some friends of mine went on a hiking trip in the NE. They got tickets to a Red Sox game, this was pre-2004 when you could still get them. The girl nearly broke her ankle hiking and when they contacted the Sox they told them the story and they put them behind home plate.

Other than season ticket holders (who have to document their need) I think most accessible seating is sold day of the game. Of course I doubt those season ticket holders go to all 27/41/81 games.

Other than season ticket holders (who have to document their need) I think most accessible seating is sold day of the game. Of course I doubt those season ticket holders go to all 27/41/81 games.

The team holds accessible seats aside until a few days before each game, then they're released for sale to anybody. Many season tickets in the handicapped row, at least in our section and the next section, had tickets there before 2006 when the Tigers were just trying to sell tickets.

I've got seats in the handicap section at the box office window before without knowing that's what I bought. I think it was maybe a day or two before the game, as dadair6 mentioned. Next time, I'd suggest speaking to someone in guest services or an usher in your section. From my experience at Comerica Park, they will bend over backwards to help any way they can.

Lakeland has very few numbered handicapped seats, but ushers will support the handicapped and attendant in many areas. Yesterday we had seats in the 2nd row at the net and I left the wheelchair folded along the wall at the ushers request. Later in the 3rd, TeamMom needed some shade and went up and sat in her wheelchair. Two innings later I went up to check on her and immediately the usher was there to offer me a chair. The upper mazzanine has a number of handicapped spaces in the shade on a first come basis. The ushers will provide a chair for an attendant. Many do not realize an elevator is available to the upper deck located behind and to the right of the ticket office. You exit at the press box and suites and seating is on either end.