Ranger

Castillo upset Tigers decided to walk him

Castillo mad with Pujols' plan to walk him

Luis Castillo was upset Monday to learn that Detroit Tigers manager Luis Pujols planned to walk him intentionally if he had batted in the ninth inning Saturday with a 35-game hitting streak on the line.
Manager Larry Bowa, whose Philadelphia Phillies began a four-game series Monday at Florida, said walking Castillo would have been the right move.

"You're letting your team down by saying, `Let him get the hit and we'll lose the game, but we're going to be macho,''' Bowa said.

Is Luis Castillo jutified in being upset? I say no.

Let me get this straight, he's upset over something that didn't happen? Jacka**.

The opposing team doesn't care if you're going for a record (he wasn't even 2/3 of the way to 56 so he had a ways to go still), they play the percentages and do everything that they can to win. If you're on a hot streak and coming up to bat with the game on the line, the opposing team wanting to win the game thinks the game is more important than some silly streak going on.

i dont care if hes mad, he had 4 other chances and blew it.

I would have booed Detroit if they'd walked him intentionally.

But Pujols shouldn't have said anything. I guess maybe he wanted to make Luis feel better, knowing how disappointed he was to be on deck and not get that last chance. But Luis was already resigned to the fact it was over in the 8th inning. He'd already taken his curtain call, and collapsed on the bench to deal with the fact. The improbable chance of him getting another at-bat in the 9th was just a tease that made it that much more difficult.

The Best Damn Sports Show Period just made fun of Luis, with "things you should never say to Luis Castillo" or something. I can't rewind, because I'm on the spare TV which doesn't have the TiVo thing, but one of them was something like "Hey Luis, you know what's on deck now? Anonymity!"

This is the same controversy that arose when teams were pitching around Bonds late last season, as well as when Ben Davis broke up Schilling's perfect game with a bunt last May. Records are fine and good, but if I am a manager, my top priority is to win the game. If I make moves designed to improve my team's chances of winning a game, and those moves happen to circumvent a player's shot at a record, I won't be losing any sleep. Castillo is paid to hit, Pujols is paid to manage. Castillo shouldn't expect Pujols to help him out.

If Pujols did not do what he thought was best to win the game for the Tigers, he should be fired. While I think intentionally walking Castillo in that situation would have been a bad idea (I pretty much think intentionally walking people is always a bad idea, so this isn't a surprise), if that's what Pujols would do in a normal situation, that's what he should have done.

Castillo upset Tigers decided to walk him

June 25, 2002

FREE PRESS NEWS SERVICES

MIAMI -- Luis Castillo was upset Monday to learn that Tigers manager Luis Pujols planned to walk him intentionally if he had batted in the ninth inning Saturday with a 35-game hitting streak on the line.

"Don't tell me that," Castillo said. "That's bad. I'd have a bad reaction, because I needed a hit. I'd be really, really, really mad."

The game ended with Castillo on deck when teammate Tim Raines hit a sacrifice fly that gave the Florida Marlins the victory.

On Sunday, Pujols said he and bench coach Felipe Alou agreed that with a base open and a tie game, they would not have given Castillo a chance to beat them.

"I don't know why he'd say that," Castillo said. "I know he's trying to win the game, but I'm trying to get a hit. The fans were waiting for that at-bat."

Castillo said he doesn't know Pujols well. Both are from the Dominican Republic, as is Alou. Castillo said he heard that some Dominican fans were angered by the manager's comments.

Castillo went 0-for-4 Saturday, ending the longest streak in the major leagues in 15 years.

Ok, so Luis Castillo is a jerk.

"The fans were waiting for that at-bat." Waaaah!

Hey! Luis! Get your big head out of your tight ass! The game is about winning, you pud-pulling putz, not about give Luis Castillo a fifth chance to be a hero after he's already blown four previous chances. Schmuck.

What a butthead. What a loser.

Why be surprised that he feels this way?

A player that puts his personal quest for a record ahead of his team's outcome in a game???

Unique?

Hardly. Cal Ripkin should have sat out a game a loooooooong time before he did. It would have been better for his team, but he had tunnel vision as far as his "record" was concerned, and the hell with anything else. And he had too much power within the organization for any manager to even suggest that he be replaced.

So, Castillo was thinking about himself and his record.....

What a surprise.

Don't tell me that," Castillo said. "That's bad. I'd have a bad reaction,

Man, I would love to have seen this happen. What the hell could he have done, charged the mound? Charged Pujols in the dugout? Just thrown a fit? It would've made a great story to see him freak out on the field. I already thought the way he moped and looked all forelorn was over the top. Two days before he said he didn't know anything about Dimaggio and now he's going to have a "bad reaction" to not coming within 20 games of a streak he knew nothing about. The way individuals respond to things really shows you something about the true person.

Did you hear about Lou Brock and Stan Musial?

They asked Castillo a question referring to Lou Brock and he said "Who's Lou Brock?". They told him he was a legendary Cardinal player. Later on Stan Musial was in the locker room and someone asked him if he knew who that was. He said "yeah, it's Lou Brock"

This guy really is Rickey Henderson's son.

He grew up poor in the Dominican Republic. Why would he be expected to know baseball history?

As for his "bad reaction", it doesn't matter how far behind DiMaggio he was, this was a big deal for him. He's not used to having reporters around him all the time, having fans give him standing ovations every time he bats, etc. Of course he wanted to get the hit. Anyone would.

We all know the strategy of the game, and winning is most important, but let's be realistic. This is a guy who has never been intentionally walked in his career. And it would be pretty frustrating after accepting the end of the streak in the 8th inning, giving a curtain call, getting another standing ovation, then to get up as an improbable seventh batter in the ninth inning, adrenaline pumping again, all psyched up, and they walk you intentionally. I think I'd have a bad reaction, too.

The way Acevedo blew that game, the Tigers didn't deserve any high moral ground talking about "winning is all that's important." If winning was so important, why didn't they pull that idiot after he gave up the two-run double that tied the game?

I agree with BiD's statement that if Pujols *didn't* do what he felt would've given the Tigers the best chance to win he should be fired.

However, I do, to a minor extent, understand Castillo's comments. He doesn't seem to by saying so much that Pujols would've done the improper or wrong thing. He seems to just be lamenting the fact that had he gotten up, he wouldn't have had a shot anyway.

I think the media is blowing this a little out of proportion with this whole: "Castillo is Angry" thing. Why would he harbor ill will against someone or a team because of something that didn't even happen?

They need a story and Castillo didn't appear to be giving them much of one (ie, not blowing up or getting all piss off about the streak ending) and so they invent (or at least magnify) one.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the feeling I get from this whole thing.

This is such a non-issue it's ridiculous.

I would've walked him and so would've anyone. You don't let a guy with a 35-game hitting streak bat when you have an open base.

I wasn't criticizing Castillo for not being a baseball historian. Two days earlier when asked if this was a big deal to him and if he was feeling the pressure of chasing DiMaggio he replied that he had never heard of him before and wasn't feeling any pressure. I'm simply saying that I'm not sure how big of a deal this could have been for him if he wasn't even aware of its existence prior to reaching a certain point.

I agree with BiD's statement that if Pujols *didn't* do what he felt would've given the Tigers the best chance to win he should be fired.

Not trying to be technical here but qsilvr said that not BiD. Actually, BiD said Pujols wasn't really trying to win because he didn't pull Acevedo before, therefore having no moral ground to walk a hitter with a .392 OPB and 96 hits with the first base open and the winning run on second.

Raised poor or not I think Castillo should have realized it was the right thing to do and accepted it, he actually should have realized it while sitting on the bench and not after being told by a reporter.

Somehow none of this stuff about Castillo bothers me. He had a very special thing going. He's not allowed to be upset that it ended?

I thought Pujols' comment about the Marlins summed this up best.

They pinch hit for their pitcher in the ninth because they were trying to win the game. They could have let him get up there and make an out and that would have allowed Castillo to bat again. But magically, they were trying to win the game too. So was Pujols.

I am not upset that Pujols would've walked him. I am just not mad at Castilla for being upset. I think I would be too.