drownwithyou

Bertuzzi to get 2 year, $2.2 million per extension

I won't go over my resume with you, but I can guarantee you I am no "casual fan" either.

I never suggested you were. And no need to go over a resume or anything. Again the reason I said all that was just to say that even though my opinion on Stuart is not the norm that it is not because I am a casual fan who hasen't been paying attention is all.

When someone suggests something that goes against what the majority think I, personally, feel like I have to back that up a little with some back round.

For the record I wasn't trying to imply you didn't know anything, I was just surprised as I think he's been great and haven't heard any rumblings to the contrary (but it isn't like I exactly talk to Wings fans out at bars here).

Lesgo and Drown:

Is there a defensive stat in hockey you guys think is a good measuring stick for an individual defensman? Plus Minus? Something else?

As a friendly bet I would like to offer whatever stat you want to use now for Stuart and his end of year line in that stat against the same line with whomever we replace him with for next years end of year stat.

We can assume (from the tennor of the posts...correct me if I am wrong) that you guys basically think he is our best defenseman? If so it would only be fair to assume that whomever we replace him with (someone on the team moved up or an outside player) will be our best defensive player right?

I will most likely lose the bet, but again just a friendly bet.

For the record I wasn't trying to imply you didn't know anything, I was just surprised as I think he's been great and haven't heard any rumblings to the contrary (but it isn't like I exactly talk to Wings fans out at bars here).

No big deal I know you didn't, but when lesgo starts at me I feel like I have to defend myself. He throws jabs my way sometimes. :happy:

I'm not sure there is one stat to really measure a player perfectly (especially plus minus), but I would guess Corsi ratings relative to their quality of competition would get close to what we're trying to measure? Who performs the best in relation to the opposition they see on the ice? Stuart is actually fourth on the Wings in that stat this season.

BEHIND THE NET: Hockey Analysis and Statistics [new host]

I'm fine doing a bet like this as it just a friendly thing, but I think a lot of variables are going to skew these measurements.

I personally don't think there is a readily available stat out there that can measure how good a defenseman is at playing defense. +/- is far too team dependant to guage an individuals skills.

To answer your question, Yes. I do believe that Staurt has been the best and most consistent defensive presence out of the blue liners. There isn't a player, either currently on the team, or in the system that could replace his skill set. There are other players around the league that may be better or just as good. But like LS pointed out, there are no guarantees that any of those players will be in a Red Wings uniform next season.

If Stuart does decide he needs to be on the west coast, it would be a huge loss. And replacing him would be very costly and is far from a sure thing.

No big deal I know you didn't, but when lesgo starts at me I feel like I have to defend myself. He throws jabs my way sometimes. :happy:

Gimme a break. I didn't throw any jabs or "start at you". I said the Wings would be worse defensively if he left and you started comparing credentials.

Gimme a break. I didn't throw any jabs or "start at you". I said the Wings would be worse defensively if he left and you started comparing credentials.

Dodging another!

Good deal. Bertuzzi seems to be playing really well this year, and I'd imagine his experience and character are great things to have around the locker rooms. Is it just me or is he having a better year, this year, than he has had in the previous few ? Might be imagining it, but he always seems to be popping up on key plays recently

Good deal. Bertuzzi seems to be playing really well this year, and I'd imagine his experience and character are great things to have around the locker rooms. Is it just me or is he having a better year, this year, than he has had in the previous few ? Might be imagining it, but he always seems to be popping up on key plays recently

And I'm glad he has lost his sulk. His public face is night and day compared to how he was in Vancouver.

What did I dodge? Was there a question I missed?

I was the one dodging. Never mind, man. Anytime I get in a conversation with you it ends up feeling confrontational to me. I appologize for anything I said that may have offended you.

Nothing you said offended me. I don't get offended on a message board. I was just disagreeing with your assessment that I was the one making it confrontational.

Nothing you said offended me. I don't get offended on a message board. I was just disagreeing with your assessment that I was the one making it confrontational.

ok. I didn't mean to make it confrontational.

Losing Stuart would be a tremendous loss, especially if Nick decided to retire and they don't land anyone else in free agency. As stated by everyone but JBK, Staurt is rock solid. And JBK, since you said you aren't watching every game, you obviously aren't seeing that Kindl and Ericsson have been the guys causing problems on the blue line as of late. Stuart and Kronwall have been excellent along with Nick and White. Adding Quincey is a big help to get Kindl out of there. Stuart is probably the most consistent defenseman on the team next to Nick and no one will be happy if he decides to leave.

Losing Stuart would be a tremendous loss, especially if Nick decided to retire and they don't land anyone else in free agency. As stated by everyone but JBK, Staurt is rock solid. And JBK, since you said you aren't watching every game, you obviously aren't seeing that Kindl and Ericsson have been the guys causing problems on the blue line as of late. Stuart and Kronwall have been excellent along with Nick and White. Adding Quincey is a big help to get Kindl out of there. Stuart is probably the most consistent defenseman on the team next to Nick and no one will be happy if he decides to leave.

Yeah I said as much earlier. I do not watch EVERY game, but when I am watching when something bad will happen in our zone I will keep an eye on the player that caused it to see the number or the name and sure enough more times than not it is Stuart.

I like Kronwall alot, and of course who doesn't like Nick.

I am not trying to change anyones mind on how they feel about Stuart. I am just voicing my dislike of him. It flys in the face of everything else, but it is just my opinion.

Yeah I said as much earlier. I do not watch EVERY game, but when I am watching when something bad will happen in our zone I will keep an eye on the player that caused it to see the number or the name and sure enough more times than not it is Stuart.

I like Kronwall alot, and of course who doesn't like Nick.

I am not trying to change anyones mind on how they feel about Stuart. I am just voicing my dislike of him. It flys in the face of everything else, but it is just my opinion.

That's such a silly way to watch a game.

Honest question JBK, do you ever pay attention to all the times Stuart plays perfect positional defense or hustles back to force a shooter wide leading to a turnover or a bad angle shot? It's really easy to pick apart a players game when you focus only on the bad things. But if you aren't really watching that player all the time, your view can certainly be skewed.

Honest question JBK, do you ever pay attention to all the times Stuart plays perfect positional defense or hustles back to force a shooter wide leading to a turnover or a bad angle shot? It's really easy to pick apart a players game when you focus only on the bad things. But if you aren't really watching that player all the time, your view can certainly be skewed.

I tend to lose him in the crowd when he is playing average or good. I admit that. FTR: I also notice times when Hank and Pav do something stupid...the difference for me personally is that I see them doing more good than bad. One thing I notice is that I almost NEVER see Nick out of position. I also understand that he is most likely the best to second best defenseman to play the game.

I just see more bone headed plays from Stuart than anyone else on the team. I am not really looking for HIM to screw up. I just watch the play develop...see something bad happen...follow the player around the ice until I see who it is....and it is Stuart more than it is not.

I also notice times when Hank and Pav do something stupid...

I know nobody is perfect out there, but this is VERY rare... especially Dats. I almost feel sorry for fans of other teams that don't get to watch him night in and night out. Im not just talking about goals and assists... its the little things he does. I've always said I would love to see a highlight reel of him just winning puck battles in every zone. It's breathtaking watching that guy play the game.

TartanLion - I have thought the same thing this year, he seems to be having a nice season.

I know nobody is perfect out there, but this is VERY rare... especially Dats. I almost feel sorry for fans of other teams that don't get to watch him night in and night out. Im not just talking about goals and assists... its the little things he does. I've always said I would love to see a highlight reel of him just winning puck battles in every zone. It's breathtaking watching that guy play the game.

TartanLion - I have thought the same thing this year, he seems to be having a nice season.

VERY rare indeed. I am going to miss that little soft spoken Russian the next few weeks here. We sure missed him last night. :depress:

UNREAL how that game ended!

Also, Nyquist has put up up 47 points in 46 games in his first AHL year.

Now 50 points in 47 games!

Now 51 in 48.

Edited by drownwithyou