drownwithyou

Bertuzzi to get 2 year, $2.2 million per extension

Agent: Detroit Red Wings forward Todd Bertuzzi to get 2-year extension | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

I was kind of ready to move on and either let a young guy step in or a free agent next year. He's had good stretches, and he is great in the shootout. But he's old and injury prone. Nothing against the guy, but I would have rather had a one year extension at least.

Edited by drownwithyou

Don't mind it, he has been very good at times. Probably would have preferred a 1 year as well.

Not sure who/if will make the club out of Mursak/Emmerton next year, and Nyquist is probably looking at 1 more year in GR at least.

Not sure who/if will make the club out of Mursak/Emmerton next year, and Nyquist is probably looking at 1 more year in GR at least.

I really hope it is Mursak out of those two. Also, Nyquist has put up up 47 points in 46 games in his first AHL year. I wouldn't mind them trying him out as a regular next year, maybe stick him on the third or even second line to see if he can capture some secondary scoring. I know they don't bring up their young guys very quickly, but I'd be interested to see how it would work out.

24+ mil in Cap space as of now, before the Tuzzi signing - which will eat about 2mil in space.

Huds, Homer, Lids, Stuart are UFA, thinking 3 of 4 will be back.

Dumb n Dumber (Helm n Abby) are RFA, hoping they get it straightened out before hitting the UFA market.

Though there's a ton of space, can they afford BOTH Parise and Suter? I hope it doesn't take one of those 10+ year deals to get them under the cap to pull it off.

Hudler and Stuart I think are gone and maybe Holmstrom. Good deal for the Red Wings to keep around a big body forward that can play in any team in the leagues top 9.

Wouldn't be suprised if Stuart and Hudler are gone but only if they can go out and sign a Suter or a Parise. If not brings these two back for minimal deals as they are good role players.

Injury prone? The guys missed less than 10 games in the past two and a half years with the Wings.

I probably would have preferred a one year extension as well, but I'm not really upset about the extra year either.

He missed significant time before rejoining the Wings, I guess that's what I was thinking of. He hasn't been injury prone with Detroit, good point.

Hopefully he closes this season out strong, his secondary scoring would be great in the playoffs.

I would like Stuart to stay, but the signs point to him signing in California to be closer to his family.

I am not sure what it is about Stuart but I want him gone, badly. Everytime I see a turnover or a bad play in our zone I see Stuart was the one who made the mistake. I do not see him making good plays ever. I do not watch every game though so I may just be seeing his worst, but I want the dude gone.

I am not sure what it is about Stuart but I want him gone, badly. Everytime I see a turnover or a bad play in our zone I see Stuart was the one who made the mistake. I do not see him making good plays ever. I do not watch every game though so I may just be seeing his worst, but I want the dude gone.

You're the first Wings fan I've heard with this opinion.

IMO, Stuart is tied with White as the second most valuable defenseman on the team and will be very hard to replace should he leave. (He's probably THE most valuable inside his own zone)

IMO, Stuart is tied with White as the second most valuable defenseman on the team and will be very hard to replace should he leave. (He's probably THE most valuable inside his own zone)

IMO: I hope the hell he signs somewhere else next year.

Then you are hoping the Red Wings are a worse defensive team next year.

No, I am hoping they are better next year. Like I have my whole life. From the time back when my dad used to coach and when my older brothers used to try and school my on hockey because they played organized hockey a few years as kids. And back when I used to make goals out of 2x4'rs and old white bed sheets to play street hockey with my friends.

Uh oh, the measuring contest has begun.

Just letting you know I am not a casual fan. I grew up with hockey my whole life and still go to open skating every week. You may be right. We may be worse next year if we get rid of him. I, personally, do not think so. I am not a fan of Brad Stuart. Nothing against him personally or anything. And I am not saying he is the worst defenseman in the league. I would rather have someone else. We will have about 4 mil free with him not on the team. I am sure we can find someone to replace him. Just my opinion.

Stuart would be a big loss. I love his play. He did have a bad Game 7 in '09 but overall I have no complaints. I am resigned to losing him but still hold out some hope that by some magic he will be back. He has managed to make his family life situation work out for 4 years while here, after all.

And again, I do not assume that available cap space + free agents on the market = Wings always able to get the player they want at a reasonable price. Even with a great GM like Holland.

Just letting you know I am not a casual fan. I grew up with hockey my whole life and still go to open skating every week. You may be right. We may be worse next year if we get rid of him. I, personally, do not think so. I am not a fan of Brad Stuart. Nothing against him personally or anything. And I am not saying he is the worst defenseman in the league. I would rather have someone else. We will have about 4 mil free with him not on the team. I am sure we can find someone to replace him. Just my opinion.

I won't go over my resume with you, but I can guarantee you I am no "casual fan" either.

I have been to 5 Wings games this year with my sons. They play defense. For part of the game we will watch defensive zone coverage or how the defensemen contribute offensively, trying to pick out a thing or two done well or poorly for the purpose of a lesson. I found it much easier to do at a game than watching on TV because the camera follows the puck and sometimes the play is made away from the puck.

In any event, the games I have been at, Stuart was absolutely rock solid. I am talking about his positioning, holding pucks in the zone, making smart feeds, etc. Not flashy at all but absolutely rock solid. If anything I have become more sold on Brad Stuart watching him the last couple years in person, and I liked him a lot when he came over.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

Stuart's play the last two seasons has been great IMO, he has really settled into his role well on the Red Wings. After being such a high draft pick I think teams tried to push him too hard offensively, but now his positioning and defensive zone play is awesome to watch, and after Lidstrom I'd want Stuart out there for sure. Add to the fact that he is one of the harder hitters on the blue line for the Wings I'm going to miss him when he signs out West. A responsible defenseman, who can hit hard, and works hard to get his shot on net when he does shoot is a hard thing to replace, especially a character guy like Stuart.

I'm surprised JBK hates him so much!