Sign in to follow this  
TallKev76

Zeke with the Pistons?

All the talk about Zeke in Tay's thread got me thinking.

(Not an easy task...thanks.)

The majority of us think of Zeke as the epitome of Piston Basketball. Without him, we likely don't win 2 titles.

He is the all-time leader in who knows how many categories, and yet he has no affiliation with the team he spent his entire career with.

I hope that someday, Zeke and the Pistons can work something out, so that he can be associated with us again. I think the fans would love it, and Zeke deserves it.

The question is:

Will it ever happen?

Not as long as Joe Dumars is here running everything. He's the team President so he's got control over all the operations. He reports to Tom Wilson who is basically Bill Davidson's eyes/ears and runs everything Palace related. There's no other buffer in terms of authority. Isiah will never work for Joe so there's no slot available. I don't think Isiah is a dummy but I don't think Davidson is about to put him in charge of the hockey team or arena operations. Joe seems to be doing a very fine job so there's no reason for him to leave, unless he wants to.

Agreed....he isn't taking Joe's job, but there has to be some way to get him involved. Even if it's just a figurehead position. Make him some sort of a "consultant"...one that doesn't actually consult on anything.

If the organization wanted him back badly enough, they'd find something for him. IMO.

I don't think Isiah has the ego for that. I also don't think the organization is that eager to accomodate him.

I really would like to know what happened.

Who the heck do you think you are?? All disagreeing with me and stuff! Wanna step outside??

Kidding.

It's NICE to have a discussion in a message board without it turning into yo mama jokes!

A little off subject but,

I seem to recall Isiah Thomas doing ads for Toyota. A print ad in a magazine during their "Oh what a feeling" campaign.

Is my memory correct?

People consider Thomas a viable head coach and I'm sure he will be employed by next season. I don't think he would accept a position with no power or authority just to be with the Pistons.

I don't see Isiah taking a "figure-head" position for one and two I don't see how that would help the Pistons anyway. On the other hand, I'd love to see Bill Laimbeer get an assistant coaching shot with the 'Stons. Of all the players we've ever had I miss him.

The only thing, in the near future, possible I could see Isiah do, in connection with the Pistons, is as an announcer.

Originally posted by MotownRandy

Keep him and his Bobby Knight loving @$$ away from the Detroit Pistons!

Bobby Knight made Thomas, Thomas made the Pistons champions and neither can go "home."

To be honest, Zeke seems to me that he might be a bit of a problem for management types. A popular and smart man like him should be in huge demand. Unless nobody wants to be around him.

He's proven that he can't coach a team loaded with talent so I think it is out of the question to have him as a future head coach. As far as a front office spot, I don't know the in's and out's of the Pistons politics to comment on that.

He seemed to be doing alright as part owner of the Raptors. He bought into the CBA, but had to give it up. He probably has something to offer to the game, just as long as it doesnt involve dealing with people. I don't see a need for him with the Pistons. We already have the best executive in the league.

Originally posted by Truth

Bobby Knight made Thomas, Thomas made the Pistons champions and neither can go "home."

That's like saying Heathcote made Magic Johnson. Isiah was a 'fairly' good player in Chicago before he spent all of two years with The General. He got the heck out of there before Knight ruined him like he did dozens of other players.