Deleterious

2012 Michigan Football

Once again, the special jerseys are terrible. It's a cool thing for a second tier program to do so they can draw interest, but not Michigan. This is a gimmick for teams that have no established trademark like Michigan. Brandon has been great for Michigan, but some things should just be left alone.

Now get off my lawn!

It's disappointing to see Michigan -- which has a long and storied history -- wearing horrible Oregon-esque uniforms just to get a few extra bucks.

It's disappointing to see Michigan -- which has a long and storied history -- wearing horrible Oregon-esque uniforms just to get a few extra bucks.

That's the #1 reason, but don't discout what these flashy uniforms do for recruiting. You think some 17 year old from Ohio or California gives a rats *** about uniform tradition? Nope, but they sure do like the flashiness of these novelty unis.

F*** the athletic department. Those uniforms are hideous. You have the greatest uniforms in sports and you decide that's not enough. Nyah, we need to compete with Michigan State and change every year.

Eff off Brandon.

That's the #1 reason, but don't discout what these flashy uniforms do for recruiting. You think some 17 year old from Ohio or California gives a rats *** about uniform tradition? Nope, but they sure do like the flashiness of these novelty unis.

Yup. I'm all about tradition and keeping the historical aspect of a program like Michigan...but sorry, recruits these days couldn't care less. Adapt or become irrelevant. If you want Michigan to keep its storied tradition, then accept 7-4/8-3 seasons every year just based on recruiting for tradition. If you want some of these "flashy" kids who can be game changers and who like being seen in the "new, cool" gear on the field and can lead the team to a championship, then you're gonna have to accept it. Times are changing.

I think it's pretty offensive to say that flashy uniforms are for second-tier programs. What does that say about Michigan? Last I checked, Oregon has had a helluva lot more success over the last eight years than Michigan has. So has Ohio State. Who keeps their same "historic" uniforms all the time now? Alabama? I guarantee once they start sliding a little bit in record, they'll break out the new uniforms as well. As for now, they have a coaching staff and success that they can maintain for their program without these "gimmick" uniforms.

Edited by KleShreen

Did you guys see Alabama's alternate jerseys?

On one hand I want to agree with what lgb said, but I really don't think a recruit cares much about a jersey worn once. If a recruit is going to care about style, it's going to be the every week jersey they are concerned with.

Yup. I'm all about tradition and keeping the historical aspect of a program like Michigan...but sorry, recruits these days couldn't care less. Adapt or become irrelevant. If you want Michigan to keep its storied tradition, then accept 7-4/8-3 seasons every year just based on recruiting for tradition. If you want some of these "flashy" kids who can be game changers and who like being seen in the "new, cool" gear on the field and can lead the team to a championship, then you're gonna have to accept it. Times are changing.

I think it's pretty offensive to say that flashy uniforms are for second-tier programs. What does that say about Michigan? Last I checked, Oregon has had a helluva lot more success over the last eight years than Michigan has. So has Ohio State. Who keeps their same "historic" uniforms all the time now? Alabama? I guarantee once they start sliding a little bit in record, they'll break out the new uniforms as well. As for now, they have a coaching staff and success that they can maintain for their program without these "gimmick" uniforms.

I disagree...schools have different selling points and recruits have different values and objectives. A kid who doesn't care about tradition and academic opportunities isn't going to find Hoke and company attractive regardless of how the clown up the jerseys once or twice a year.

I disagree...schools have different selling points and recruits have different values and objectives. A kid who doesn't care about tradition and academic opportunities isn't going to find Hoke and company attractive regardless of how the clown up the jerseys once or twice a year.

There's a difference, though, between academic opportunites and football tradition and uniform tradition. The Big House is still the Big House. Hail to the Victors still plays as the team runs out and slaps the booster club banner.

I'd say the recruits they might gain from these specialty jerseys (which I don't like but it's really not a big deal to me) far outnumber the kids who are going to bypass a Michigan education and a chance to play football in Ann Arbor because of a couple of Steve & Barry's jerseys.

That's just my opinion, though.

There's a difference, though, between academic opportunites and football tradition and uniform tradition. The Big House is still the Big House. Hail to the Victors still plays as the team runs out and slaps the booster club banner.

I'd say the recruits they might gain from these specialty jerseys (which I don't like but it's really not a big deal to me) far outnumber the kids who are going to bypass a Michigan education and a chance to play football in Ann Arbor because of a couple of Steve & Barry's jerseys.

That's just my opinion, though.

I agree that it wouldn't play a big role in a decision one way or the other. I don't like them but I don't get angry like some do. If the players like them for a game or two that's good enough for me to be indifferent.