Sign in to follow this  
SpartanValor

2012 Michigan State Football

Big news...Arnett granted waiver and can play this fall. Now we just need Burbridge to get his academics in order.

Nonetheless, huge news about DA...might be Maxwell's top target.

Huge news on Arnett. Hard to forget all the good that BJ did for us but these kids coming in will make it easier to take.

The 2012 season marks the 25th anniversary of the Lorenzo White led Rose Bowl team. Is there going to be some sort of ceremony to mark the occasion? Hopefully, I'm just out of the loop but, I haven't heard anything.

The 2012 season marks the 25th anniversary of the Lorenzo White led Rose Bowl team. Is there going to be some sort of ceremony to mark the occasion? Hopefully, I'm just out of the loop but, I haven't heard anything.

Aw crap. I was a freshman that year at MSU. Thanks for making me feel old.

As big a news as Arnett, Aaron Burbridge, whose eligibility looked to be very much up in the air (if not seriously in doubt) has apparently taken some noteworthy steps to the good. Things looking seriously up.

Arnett, Burbridge, Fowler, Lippett and Sims, I can work with that. Just gotta get Fowler healthy.

Caesar was a highly regarded recruit as well.

For sure, and I liked Kendrick too. And the number one WR picked in the spring game draft was Sims Jr (I should clarify, I meant Dion Sims in my first post). The players in my initial post were guys who I would expect to be at the top of the depth chart.

Three out of those four WRs (plus QB) did not play in the Spring Game, so its hard to know what to expect. But I'm looking forward to it.

Its June, so you gotta love this stuff.

First, Hollis says "our rivals are Michigan, OSU, and ND, and we're not afraid to call them by their name".

Then Hoke in regards to the past four years: "Its been an *** kicking".

Finally, today, MD addresses why the FSU/ND/Michigans of the world drive me crazy:

“We take our time. I’m not caught up in how fast we do things. I’m caught up in the end result,” Dantonio said. “You play football on the field and become the No. 1 or No. 10-ranked team, whatever you end up. But it almost seems like nowadays they want to have the mythical National Championship in terms of recruiting. I think when you look at periods over time it’s not always the four or five-star player that goes on to play. All you gotta do is go to an NFL camp and look at the number of players that are from small schools or smaller schools and you know those guys have been overlooked in the recruiting process. … The key is finding those guys and it’s not a science. We try to make it a science, but it’s not a science.”

Just give Denard another pre-season Heisman, and my summer will be complete...

Not sure if you saw, but apparently Lawrence Thomas is finally moving to DE. Should be fun to watch him for 4 years with his hand in the dirt (or possibly less).

Not sure if you saw, but apparently Lawrence Thomas is finally moving to DE. Should be fun to watch him for 4 years with his hand in the dirt (or possibly less).

This has the potential to be a great move for our defense. LT has likely outgrown the linebacker position plus we are pretty loaded there now and for the forseeable future. Our DE position looks to be more of a question mark long term...hopefully he'll capitalize on the move.

Aaron Burbridge is fully qualified for 2012!!!

It's all young, but there is a ton of receiving talent on MSU's roster. A ton!

don't jinx it. Not qualified yet

don't jinx it. Not qualified yet

Sounds like it's a done deal. After my earlier post, he'd just retaken the ACT, and early word was pretty good (ie score, which was already qualifying, would improve more). The improvement would make his Summer retake essentially moot (and it apparently now has).

For the uninitiated, one's grades and standardized test scores work on what is essentially a "sliding scale". The clearing house holds that the standardized test score has an inversely proportional relationship to one's required core gpa...And vice versa.

The Legends Division defending champs returned to the field this weekend for the start of Fall practice.

Occasions/observations of note:

LT moved to DE; EVERYONE from the incoming class is enrolled and participating; 90%+ of the players passed conditioning on day 1; MSU's walk-on program looks strong; MSU lb'er play is probably going to be awfully good for a while...I'll touch on some more later.

Other news from camp:

True freshmen impressing: Jamal Lyles; Demetrious Cox; Riley Bullough; Ezra Robinson...Of those, sounds like Cox is the only no-rs lock, excluding Taybor Pepper, of course.

WR playing group is solidifying as expected (with a top 6 of): Bennie Fowler; Keith Mumphery; Tony Lippet; Andre Sims Jr; Deanthony Arnett and Jeremy Langford. Sounds like all the frosh, barring injury, will RS.

Front seven looks very talented and very deep. Sure the DT's on the second string are youngish and unknown, but the reviews from all the important folks have been pretty good...And the depth is so good, it should provide insulation from injury/underperformance. LB'er...Just fahgetabotit. It's as good as there is in the conference, maybe the country. Big scrimmage from the young lb'ers - sounds like Taiwan Jones is really elevating his play of late.

On the injury front:

Aaron Burbridge had surgery for what appears to be a meniscus injury, he'll be out 6 weeks and has now essentially clinched a redshirt.

Fellow true freshman WR Monty Madaris has a high ankle sprain...Those have a tendency of lingering, and as such, an already probable redshirt probably just became already "probablier".

In more "imminent" news, Blake Treadwell has a tibia fracture and will miss 4+ weeks...A tough "break" for Treadwell, who was doing everything in his power to hold off RS frosh Jack Allen (a battle more than a few folks didn't believe Treadwell would end up winning).

My take, the best 5 offensive lineman entering camp were: France, Allen, Jackson, McDonald and Fonoti. So getting there a touch quicker than I thought we would (I honestly believed Allen would be starting by the start of the conference campaign), doesn't seem like a big deal. And lastly, make no mistake, we could play winning football with Blake Treadwell, Big Ten Title winning football.

Some interesting news coming out of Michigan State's camp, as Micajah Reynolds and Jairus Jones (both juniors and recipients of some excessive staff praise of late) have risen to the top of the depth chart at DT and FS respectively. Now whether or not this is some motivational work, ie. throwing a couple solid upper-classmen a bone, or a legit late career surge remains to be seen. I'll say this, Reynolds' athleticism, at his size, has always really impressed a lot of folks. Some positional indecision, and fitness/dedication issues have held him back - So I'd like to think he's for real. We'll know more by the middle of next week.

I will say this however, Safety and DT are going to be strong, real strong, for a few years.

On the injury front, Skyler Burkland has a hand injury (not thought to be serious, out a few days to a week - I'd wager finger dislocation)...Injuries to Treadwell and Burkland have provided opportunities for Donovan Clark and Michael Dennis to run with the two's a lot for tomorrow's scrimmage.