RatkoVarda

Tigers sign Prince Fielder to 9 year deal!!!!!!!!

Cabrera to the OF seems more likely to me than Cabrera to 3B.

I agree. Cabrera to LF (or maybe RF). Young to DH. Next year Young is gone, and VMart DH's. When VMart's contract ends, then Cabrera is probably ready to DH.

jaysonst Jayson Stark

Over the last 3 years, Baseball Info Solutions says Cabrera cost his team 16 runs at 1B. Prince cost 15. So flip a coin.

I'm sceptical. It more that just the negative. How do they count the DPs Cabby starts that Prince doesn't even attempt?

Why are we trading Cabrera already?? Trade Victor.
This. You trade Victor, probably eating some of the contract, good to go - and that's assuming he can even recover from the knee surgery.

jonmorosi Jon Morosi

#Tigers had Miguel Cabrera get into shape to play third base, just in case, source says. Fielder 1B/DH, Cabrera 1B/3B/DH.

DKnobler DKnobler

Expect the Tigers to play Prince every day at 1B, and to move Cabrera to 3B. And don't be surprised if he's better there than you think.

jonmorosi Jon Morosi

#Tigers exec told me last fall that Miguel Cabrera could be an everyday 3B if he got into better shape. Prescient.

jonmorosi Jon Morosi

#Tigers view third base as a better alternate position for Miguel Cabrera than left field, source says.

Why are people saying trade Cabby is next year if he can't play third? Isn't Cabby the better player of the two? Wouldn't it make more sense to move VMart?

jonmorosi Jon Morosi

#Tigers had Miguel Cabrera get into shape to play third base, just in case, source says. Fielder 1B/DH, Cabrera 1B/3B/DH.

DKnobler DKnobler

Expect the Tigers to play Prince every day at 1B, and to move Cabrera to 3B. And don't be surprised if he's better there than you think.

jonmorosi Jon Morosi

#Tigers exec told me last fall that Miguel Cabrera could be an everyday 3B if he got into better shape. Prescient.

jonmorosi Jon Morosi

#Tigers view third base as a better alternate position for Miguel Cabrera than left field, source says.

And you know, if he's not drinking, it will be easier for him to lose the weight.... .:wink:

Not surprising. I can't see any way they make this deal without having discussed it with Miguel.

Through all this, considering miggy "got off" with alcholic charges the past few years...he doesn't have room to talk. Sad, but true

DKnobler DKnobler

Never have I wanted Knobler to be more right!

As awesome as this move is for 2012-14 (setting the defensive concerns aside), I'm really worried about the prospect of paying Price $24+ million in 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020.

Awesome move. I wonder about the defensive alignment, but maybe Cabrera said he could play RF or LF for a while? This complicates things with Victor in 13 and 14, but oh well.

Don't trade Cabrera in 13, he's a better player than Fielder is. That would be a downgrade.

My guess: they split time at 1B and DH this year, then next year with Victor back, Fielder at 1B, Victor at DH, and Cabrera in LF or RF.

I'm curious to see how bad Fielder's defense will be at 1B.

If Cabby moves back to 3B, what do they do with Castellanos? Move him to 2B now? Move him to OF?

A lot can happen in the two years we expect to be waiting for Castellanos.

If Cabby moves back to 3B, what do they do with Castellanos? Move him to 2B now? Move him to OF?

Castellanos is 2 years away. And Cabrera at 3b didn't last long the first time around. I still feel Cabrera is traded or moved to DH before Castellanos is shipped off.

Not worry about him right now. Let him play his way through the system and cross that bridge when it is time.