RatkoVarda

Tigers sign Prince Fielder to 9 year deal!!!!!!!!

That may be the case. But you definitely said you don't think it added any more value. That's all I was disagreeing with. It usually is blown out of proportion though, along with just about everything else.

Most economic studies on the subject have shown star, big name types to be underpaid based on the money they bring to a franchise fwiw. I suppose its debatable whether Prince falls into that category though. OTOH, we don't make the playoff run without him.

Most economic studies on the subject have shown star, big name types to be underpaid based on the money they bring to a franchise fwiw. I suppose its debatable whether Prince falls into that category though. OTOH, we don't make the playoff run without him.

My question is where does decreasing returns set in? My team is all dogs, I'm not buying any of their jerseys; my team has a nationally known all-star, I want his jersey; my team has two all-stars, what am I gonna do with two jerseys? It wouldn't be that simple, different players will sell better into different groups of fans, but there is a basic marketing reality that at some point your new star's sales will shift from new to substitution to some degree.

Well, the Tigers needed another star black player I suppose. And I'm only half-joking.

For the 2004 tigers signing pudge, sure.

Yeah, if Prince didn't hit .173 in the playoffs, the Tigers totally wouldn't have made the WS. I guess it's plausible they wouldn't have made the playoffs without him, but I don't necessarily agree w/ that either.

Yeah, if Prince didn't hit .173 in the playoffs, the Tigers totally wouldn't have made the WS.

This really has no merit in context of the discussion. There's a big difference between winning a couple 5 and 7 game series, than winning a division over 162 games.

I guess it's plausible they wouldn't have made the playoffs without him, but I don't necessarily agree w/ that either.

You never know, but I think it's pretty likely they don't make the play-offs. The difference between Fielder and some combination of Inge/Kelly, which is what is likely to have gotten the bulk of the 3B innings if we had not signed Fielder, looks to be worth at least 4-5 wins (but probably a couple more in my opinion). And we only won the division by 3 games.

Clearly there are unknowns, such as how we acquired Betemit mid-2011. But without making those type of assumptions, it pretty easy to show more than a plausible case that the Tigers wouldn't have made the play-offs without Fielder.

Clearly there are unknowns, such as how we acquired Betemit mid-2011. But without making those type of assumptions, it pretty easy to show more than a plausible case that the Tigers wouldn't have made the play-offs without Fielder.

Another deal for a Betemit and we might have missed by three more games!

This was the biggest thread about Prince and instead of starting a new one about him I figured I would just bump this one.

He is on pace to have (minus avg) one of his worst years...he is a power hitter who is not hitting for power. I expect a guy that is supposed to be a power hitter to lead the team in HR's. He is on pace for 26. Good if you are a 15 mil a year player, but I think expectations are higher for him. He is being over looked because other parts of the team have been really bad, but I would really like to see Prince heat up and bring those power numbers up over the second half of the season.

Not worried about him. He improved as the season went on last year IIRC. He's hitting .274/.370/.469 at the moment, but I suspect he'll end up somewhere around .290/.400/.500 with ~30 HRs which is perfectly acceptable in my eyes. I was never really expecting to get the guy who hit 45-50 HRs like he did with the Brewers. I guess my stance is that I agree with you that he hasn't lived up to expectations yet this season, but that I expect he will heat up and finish the year with the same numbers he puts up almost every season.

This was the biggest thread about Prince and instead of starting a new one about him I figured I would just bump this one.

He is on pace to have (minus avg) one of his worst years...he is a power hitter who is not hitting for power. I expect a guy that is supposed to be a power hitter to lead the team in HR's. He is on pace for 26. Good if you are a 15 mil a year player, but I think expectations are higher for him. He is being over looked because other parts of the team have been really bad, but I would really like to see Prince heat up and bring those power numbers up over the second half of the season.

A player that can't play D, can't run, MUST hit with power to be worth anything, much less $25M. He definitely has been disappointing so far.

Not worried about him. He improved as the season went on last year IIRC. He's hitting .274/.370/.469 at the moment, but I suspect he'll end up somewhere around .290/.400/.500 with ~30 HRs which is perfectly acceptable in my eyes. I was never really expecting to get the guy who hit 45-50 HRs like he did with the Brewers. I guess my stance is that I agree with you that he hasn't lived up to expectations yet this season, but that I expect he will heat up and finish the year with the same numbers he puts up almost every season.

At this point last year Prince was .297/.374/.488, so slightly down from this point last year. He had 12 homeruns and 52 RBIs at this point, compared to 13 and 62 this year.

A player that can't play D, can't run, MUST hit with power to be worth anything, much less $25M. He definitely has been disappointing so far.

Among 18 other AL firstbasemen, he's tied for 4th in OPS behind Encarnacion, Lind, and Davis. It's fair to say he hasn't been worth 25M but to be disappointed is a bit overdramatic, IMO.

If he were an all-power, low OBP guy, people would be complaining that he can't run and can only hit for power.

This "worst year of his career" that Fielder is having is basically making him the equivalent of Paul Konerko, who is going to have his number hung up by the White Sox for that level of performance.

If that's the level his worst is going to be, I can withstand that short-term while waiting for him to regain his Princiness.

He's actually hitting LHP well (which has tracked his ups and downs from previous seasons), but he's hitting RHP horribly. That won't continue, trust me...this is just a slump.

I would simply like to see 35 HR with a +.900 OPS. I will take his stats last year all day, but with guys that come out of the wood work to hit 30 before the Allstar break....I was kind of hoping Prince would be north of 20 with the HR by now.

I would simply like to see 35 HR with a +.900 OPS. I will take his stats last year all day, but with guys that come out of the wood work to hit 30 before the Allstar break....I was kind of hoping Prince would be north of 20 with the HR by now.

Last years stats minus the post season. The post season was brutal.