RatkoVarda

Tigers sign Prince Fielder to 9 year deal!!!!!!!!

I suspect the Inge situation is resolved based upon his willingness to accept a back-up role. If he does, there's probably a spot for him. If he doesn't, we'll give him his walking papers during ST.

Just what I was thinking. I don't want him sour about not playing much and I don't want Leyland to try and find him time to keep him happy.

Kelly and Inge can both play multiple positions (Inge if he chooses to). I don't know why you think they are limited to only starts at 3B. There are certainly starts to be had in LF and RF too. Inge might be an acceptable platoon partner with Dirks in LF, particularly if you want Raburn at 2B against LHP.

There's a lot of things that Leyland can do here. If Cabrera in fact can hold down 3B, we have a lot of positional flexibility with the rest of the roster.

I suspect the Inge situation is resolved based upon his willingness to accept a back-up role. If he does, there's probably a spot for him. If he doesn't, we'll give him his walking papers during ST.

If Inge was 24, I think he'd be more willing to play multiple positions. He has a few starts in LF but that was almost seven years ago. The catcher thing is dead.

Inge's calling card is his defense at third even though by metric standards its a bit overratted, his bat does nothing for me in left I'd rank it worse than Dirks, Young, Raburn and even Kelly's. Not sure its even worth carrying him especially with the amount of hype he get's in this market when we could just carry a guy like Worth and not have the side circus show everytime a guy get's injured or if Cabrerra makes a couple of errors and cost us a game, reporters will go right to Inge for a comment.

Looks good. I like having Avila a little further down. The only switch I would make is Raburn and Santiago. I like having Raburn (some pop) between Jackson and Ramon.

The thing about Santiago...is when he fields a popup, i have the Nicklas Lidström guaranteed feeling of security when he handles the puck on the powerplay.

Jackson ®

Boesch (l)

Cabrera ®

Fielder (l)

Young ®

Avila (l)

Peralta ®

Santiago (s/l)

Raburn ®

Just to be idiotically slavish to having balance in lefty right matchups.

Prado is a very solid fielder at the corners.

This was my understanding as well, thanks. I can't say I've seen him play, so I am sort of just going on what I have heard and read, but with two groundball pitchers, I just get nervous thinking about our infield defense.

When Mike Ilitch told his baseball people that he was willing to make the huge commitment to Fielder, he explained it simply.

"I think the city needs it," Ilitch said. "I think we need it. I think our players need it."

Can not think of another who has invested (money and his heart) anywhere near what he has in Detroit. Enjoy the ride.

I thought the worst question at the presser was about the salary cap. I'm not sure who she was, but how could a professional sports reporter think there is a salary cap in baseball?

I took that as the Tigers' cap or the cap of not having over two 20 M guys, but I see your point. I laughed. It doesn't get any worse than Lynn Henning's questions though. Just not the time and place for those questions, if you ask me.

Yeah I'd love to have Prado, but a trade really isn't realistic. Prado would fit a ton of holes, being a good leadoff hitter, good two way player, and so on.

When has Leyland ever kept only 11 pitchers?

For some reason I thought he had usually. I guess I was wrong. With this staff and Valverde/Benoit/Coke/Dotel, I don't really see a need to have more than 2 more bullpen arms, but he probably won't fell the same.

I thought the worst question at the presser was about the salary cap. I'm not sure who she was, but how could a professional sports reporter think there is a salary cap in baseball?

I don't think she meant to say that. It sounded like she was trying to ask about the budget limits and just blurted out salary cap by mistake.

The thing about Santiago...is when he fields a popup, i have the Nicklas Lidström guaranteed feeling of security when he handles the puck on the powerplay.

Jackson ®

Boesch (l)

Cabrera ®

Fielder (l)

Young ®

Avila (l)

Peralta ®

Santiago (s/l)

Raburn ®

Just to be idiotically slavish to having balance in lefty right matchups.

Santiago has some smooth hands, no doubt. That lineup is nice, so hard for an opposing manager to maneuver through. Our lineup is blitzkrieg...big tanks with coordination.

Edited by T&P_Fan
wrong word

For some reason I thought he had usually. I guess I was wrong. With this staff and Valverde/Benoit/Coke/Dotel, I don't really see a need to have more than 2 more bullpen arms, but he probably won't fell the same.

I wish he would go 11 once in a while. I think they'd get more use out of having an extra bench bat, but what can you do.

Yup. One spot will definitely be either Dirks or Thomas, so the last spot is either Inge or another guy.

And if Inge isn't willing to play other positions, I'd much rather have Worth as the last spot so we could pretty well guarantee Raburn stays in the OF.

Santiago and Worth can both play 2b

Peralta, Worth, and Santiago can all play SS

Kelly & Worth can back up 3b.

Raburn, Dirks/Thomas, Kelly, and in desperate situations, Young can all play LF.

I like that roster configuration considerably better than replacing Worth with Inge and not only having Inge limited to 3b, but needing Raburn as an option at 2b.

If Inge was 24, I think he'd be more willing to play multiple positions. He has a few starts in LF but that was almost seven years ago. The catcher thing is dead.

Inge's calling card is his defense at third even though by metric standards its a bit overratted, his bat does nothing for me in left I'd rank it worse than Dirks, Young, Raburn and even Kelly's. Not sure its even worth carrying him especially with the amount of hype he get's in this market when we could just carry a guy like Worth and not have the side circus show everytime a guy get's injured or if Cabrerra makes a couple of errors and cost us a game, reporters will go right to Inge for a comment.

Inge is a good athlete, and I don't see a problem having him play LF, if he is willing to do it. Inge last played the OF in 2008 (mostly in CF) and that's not long ago and he did fine. MLB veterans are very capable of moving to new positions. Inge playing the OF is purely a question of desire, not whether he is capable.

In 2011, as bad as he was, Inge OPS'd .717 against LHP. In 2010 and 2009 against LHP, his OPS was .817 and .854. Although we know that Inge is no longer the player he used to be, I think it's ridiculous to overlook the fact that 2011 was a aberration of a season, including mono and may not be representative of what he can do in 2012. It would not shock me at all to see him perform adequately, especially against LHP.

If our LF situation includes either Dirks or Thomas, we clearly are going to need a RHB compliment to platoon. That could be Raburn, or it could be Inge. Or it could be Young, I guess. But the point is, if Inge is willing, there is likely a role on the team for him.

We are all agreed that Dirks has a spot. He handled himself well in some pressure spots last year. Apparently, Dirks is tearing up winter ball too.

The Clete Thomas reference by Jim Leyland is interesting. He clearly wasn't right last year. I wonder if he's better now and we may see a return of Clete's Cougars?

We are all agreed that Dirks has a spot. He handled himself well in some pressure spots last year. Apparently, Dirks is tearing up winter ball too.

The Clete Thomas reference by Jim Leyland is interesting. He clearly wasn't right last year. I wonder if he's better now and we may see a return of Clete's Cougars?

I don't really see how there is room for both Thomas & Dirks on the roster now that Raburn is likely to see more time in the OF. Only reason Clete may make it is that he is out of options and can probably play CF better. I think you see an open competition in the spring with Clete getting the nod if they perform equally.

IMO someone who could play 2b, SS, 3b would be the best option for the last spot.

I'm not agreed. I want Worth @2nd w/Ramon, even if that means the bench is Laird, Kelly, Worth, Inge. I'm OK with Laird, Kelly, Worth, Dirks/Thomas as well.

I like Dirks though. Also, he has a .679 OPS in the DWL.

I don't think Clete will make the team, but he will have the opportunity to beat Dirks in ST for a job.

I wouldn't bother looking at his numbers last year, coming off of microfracture surgery I wouldn't expect him to hit well. Hopefully, he can clear waivers and give Toledo another shot this year if he doesn't beat out Dirks.

I will say that despite my negativity, if the Tigers can find a good DH (or even if it's Martinez next year) I don't really care if Cabrera IS the worst defensive third baseman in MLB. If your 1B/3B/DH can give you 120 homers and a combined .950 OPS or something he can have the glove of Ryan Raburn and the range of late career Manny and I'll be fine with it.

Also, allow me to nitpick the guys stats immediately as you all suggested. Corner infield defense may not correlate directly to winning, but the runs you score and allow certainly does, if you have bad defense you allow more runs, allowing more runs doesn't correlate well with winning I'd suspect. I often think defense is overvalued but basically saying 'it doesn't make any difference at all!' is obviously completely insane regardless of what one study says about FRAA and CIF defense. I also don't think that is at all what the author of the piece was saying.

Martinez is about as good as they get. I am confused by that statement. Do you think Martinez will not be able to come back and do what he did last year or even close to it?

I do not think anyone was suggesting it makes no difference at all....most of the supporters (for lack of a better word) of moving Cabby to thiiird never said it didn't matter.

I also just want to go on the record and say that at no point in the near future (basically the whole time we have Cabby under contract) do I want him hitting DH. I think (and again I have nothing to back this up) Cabby would be EXTREMELY unhappy DH'ing fulltime. Only exception is if we lock him up after this contract to finish out his days a Tiger (God I HOPE so)

Yeah, nice find JBK. I like this stat quite a bit. There is definitely some overstatement of Cabreras---and the tigers---defense costing them games. It may not be pretty, but in the long run, just score more runs. And we have guys that do that.

BeantownMarty deserves the credit on that one. He found that article.

I do not care right now what they do with those positions...we are in an AMAZING spot with the hitters we have...shoot even Raburn can have a career year.

And if Inge isn't willing to play other positions, I'd much rather have Worth as the last spot so we could pretty well guarantee Raburn stays in the OF.

Santiago and Worth can both play 2b

Peralta, Worth, and Santiago can all play SS

Kelly & Worth can back up 3b.

Raburn, Dirks/Thomas, Kelly, and in desperate situations, Young can all play LF.

I like that roster configuration considerably better than replacing Worth with Inge and not only having Inge limited to 3b, but needing Raburn as an option at 2b.

I think a lot of this depends on how the Tigers view Raburn. If they legitimately see him as someone who can play LF and 2B, both regularly, then there's more clearly a spot for Inge on the roster (if he is willing to play some LF). If the Tigers really view Raburn as a LF and not a 2B, then they clearly need Worth. And that starts to squeeze Inge out of the picture.

It seems like with Raburn, every time they announce something, like he's the LF or he's the 2B, within days they change their mind and play him elsewhere. The Tigers definately have a hard time deciding what to do with him, and he hasn't helped his cause at times with his performance.

..now that Raburn is likely to see more time in the OF.

Did I miss an announcement of some sort? I haven't seen or heard this.

Inge is a good athlete, and I don't see a problem having him play LF, if he is willing to do it. Inge last played the OF in 2008 (mostly in CF) and that's not long ago and he did fine. MLB veterans are very capable of moving to new positions. Inge playing the OF is purely a question of desire, not whether he is capable.

In 2011, as bad as he was, Inge OPS'd .717 against LHP. In 2010 and 2009 against LHP, his OPS was .817 and .854. Although we know that Inge is no longer the player he used to be, I think it's ridiculous to overlook the fact that 2011 was a aberration of a season, including mono and may not be representative of what he can do in 2012. It would not shock me at all to see him perform adequately, especially against LHP.

If our LF situation includes either Dirks or Thomas, we clearly are going to need a RHB compliment to platoon. That could be Raburn, or it could be Inge. Or it could be Young, I guess. But the point is, if Inge is willing, there is likely a role on the team for him.

I'm not an Inge hater or anything like that ... but with the amount of work Inge put in this season to prove he is still has something left in the tank I'd be surprised if he'd be willing to finish out his career as a super sub. He's been a starter for 8 plus seasons and still has a starter's mentality. He wasn't happy with a platoon situation just a week ago given his poor hitting against right hand pitching most of his career.

The positives of him hitting left hand pitching and starting in left a few games don't out weigh the potential problems he could cause. His role is now a bench player yet his role in the media is a guy you can go to to get a comment from ... he has the potential to rock the boat like he has already done several times in the last few weeks. Is it all the sudden going to change. And from a team perspective, Danny Worth is the better fit on this team for his defensive ability alone which again is Inge's calling card. Call me a cynic I just don't see it working out very well.

Did I miss an announcement of some sort? I haven't seen or heard this.

Jim made mention of it yesterday it seemed. Raburn to LF and Delmon seeing a good amount of DH and Santiago starting at 2nd.

I wish he would go 11 once in a while. I think they'd get more use out of having an extra bench bat, but what can you do.

I don't think so. If everyones healthy, it will be tough getting Kelly Santiago and Inge at bats.

I like 11 better as well, though I can understand twelve since after Verlander, none of our other starters in recent seasons have gone consistently deep in to games. You'd like to believe that with each year of maturity it becomes more likely that Scherzer and Porcello at least should start going deeper on average - which is the only thing that might convince the Tigs to drop back to 11 arms.