RatkoVarda

Tigers sign Prince Fielder to 9 year deal!!!!!!!!

I'm just in shock. Three of the best players in baseball are all in their prime and all have longish term contracts with the Tigers.

I've over the moon with this signing.

If Cabrera was on the open market and signed with a new team this year, I bet he would have gotten more. Miggy was already on the team, and teams usually get a bit of a break in that situation because nobody is bidding against you.

Miguel would have gotten 10 years at 250 easy IMO. IMO he is the second best hitter in the game the last 10 years right behind Pujols.

If we are willing to spend $214 million on one player, why not sign Jose Reyes and Mark Buehrle for less money in December?

Because Reyes is useless without legs and can't stay healthy, and because Buehrle likely won't be too much of an upgrade from the #5 starters.

Good grief. I'm trying to think of comparisons, two hall-of-famers back-to-back in their absolute prime. Mays and McCovey, Aaron and Mathews...is Gehrig and Ruth a little over the top?
It'll be a bit like McGuire/Canseco back in the 80s.
Braun & Fielder? But we don't know that either Fielder or Cabrera are hall of famers either.

Yeah, Braun and Fielder was my answer. Braun is pretty much as good as Cabrera.

Because Martinez still had a knee at the time.

My car ran out of gas once, so I bought a new car.

This deal is likely going to suck come 2016. Honestly, I would have rather signed Cabrera (and especially Verlander!) to an extension through 2020. But that's a long way off and these next couple of seasons will be incredible, so I'll worry about 2016 after the 2015 playoffs.

If Cabrera was on the open market and signed with a new team this year, I bet he would have gotten more. Miggy was already on the team, and teams usually get a bit of a break in that situation because nobody is bidding against you.

Miggy and Verlander have the two most team friendly deals in baseball for guys making 10MM+

The thing is, I'd rather overspend on a hitter like Fielder in the last few years of the deal. Because someone like Reyes or Crawford, without their legs, are nothing. Prince is still going to be able to hit at 35 years old.

I was thinking the same thing. Reyes and Wilson sounds nice, but their are very legitimate concerns about both to stay healthy/continue performing at a high rate.. Prince is as close to a sure thing as you can get and only 27.

Slugging is at a premium. And the Tigers now have 2 of the very best.

I'm thinking we better sign Cepades cuz we are going to need some speedy outfielders to chase all of the balls that scoot through the infield!!

Fielder, Raburn. Peralta, Cabby..... Interesting!

Still love the deal tho!!

Heard rumblings about this in the kitchen around 3:00 when I was at work. By the time I got off at around 4:00 my phone was blowing up left and right from friends saying it was final. I **** you not, I was so happy I wanted to cry.....actually, scratch that....I still am. Can't wait for the season to start...

jonmorosi Jon Morosi

But as I have said before, Fielder will be more valuable than Pujols over next decade. #Tigers #Angels

He's back home.

Screen_Shot_2012-01-24_at_1.00.24_PM.png

Wow is that a messed up outfit there!

Tigers hat, Giants (football) TShirt, Cubs pants. Who dressed that kid?!?

Mike Illitch is the best owner in sports.

A man that is willing to lose money to win.

I don't think we'll ever see another team owner like him in Detroit.

Wow is that a messed up outfit there!

Tigers hat, Giants (football) TShirt, Cubs pants. Who dressed that kid?!?

Ray Charles with help from Helen Keller....

Fielder is a top 5 hitter in the game right now and is in his prime. Could he regress? Sure. Could he get better? Yeah. The last year or 2 could be a bummer, but 4 years from now? Noway.

We win it all and count on Illitch spending even more to get better next year.

We win nothing the next 2-3 years? Yeah I see this contract as an albatros.

I remember when people where begging Ilitch to sell. Saying he only carried about the RedWings. My how times change...

Agree with that. I hope this man gets his dream of a WS.

Jackson CF

Boesch RF

Cabrera 3B

Fielder 1B

Young DH

Avila C

Peralta SS

Raburn/Dirks LF

Santiago 2B

I like this, it's a really solid line-up with good lefty-righty balance.

If we are willing to spend $214 million on one player, why not sign Jose Reyes and Mark Buehrle for less money in December?
But didn't those two end up being overpaid? I'm not sure you can argue that with Fielder's deal - he is an amazing hitter.