Motor City Sonics

Trade deadline pickup speculation...........Name names...

What I said in the other thread...

I've been leaning more towards wanting to make a move. My contingency though is to not go out and make it a superstar move by adding Parise or Ryan. Specific to Parise is that while I don't want to miss out on him because another team made their move first and got him, I think it is a waste to trade, potentially several top prospects and early round picks, for a guy that a few months later you can sign. However, I also don't want to make a move that affects our cap space and ultimate ability to go out, be aggressive in the off-season and go after guys like Shea Weber, Ryan Suter and/or Parise. I don't want to overpay for a second or third line guy and have that move put a crimp on our of-season plans.

Tuomo Ruutu and Drew Stafford are the two guys mentioned in trade speculation that I am interested in right now. Ruttu and Stafford both have size, strength and goal scoring ability. Both can beef up our physical presence as second or third line guys. They'd be a great fit in a playoff series against a team like San Jose or Chicago, pounding against their forwards along the boards for the puck or in the clear looking to take control of center ice battles. Each could possibly be suitable and stable replacements for Bert and Homer too, should we decide not to bring them back next year.

Ruutu and Stafford have fairly similar career numbers with Ruutu having a slightly better season so far this year. Stafford has had a down year with the rest of the Buffalo Sabres, only on pace for 14 goals this year and Ruutu has numbers consistent with his career production on an awful Carolina team. The one tipping point for Ruutu over Stafford is that he is not signed to a multi-year deal as Stafford is. Ruutu is slated for free agency after the season and Stafford still has another three years left on his contract at 4 million a year. Ruutu's contract situation definitely gives Ken Holland and Co. in the front office more flexibility to work with and is why I'd choose to make a deal for him over Stafford.

Isnt Stafford injury prone? Can Matt skate? Do the Wings have better lines then the Lions?

I would rather keep whatever they'd give up for Smyth and just use Holmstrom and Bert in front of the net on power plays. Smyth would make Holmstrom expendable, and as he doesn't do much 5 on 5 I can't see the Wings making that move.

Malone, Kubina and Nabokov = Fister, Betemit and Young. Nothing flashing but fills their needs and makes the team deeper.

Holding out for Ruttu but the price looks like it keeps going up.

Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch hears that the New York Rangers, Boston Bruins, San Jose Sharks and Detroit Red Wings have at least inquired about Ryan Smyth.

Chances are, a handful of other teams will join the conversation, as well, but Smyth does have a no-movement clause so he may be able to hand-pick where he ends up, although he’ll likely be happy going to any Cup contender.

The Detroit Red Wings won’t trade Brad Stuart, as General Manager Ken Holland tells the Detroit Free Press’ Helene St. James that the impending free agent is too important for them down the stretch. And, in fact, Holland may not do anything down the stretch because he says he’s happy with his club as it is right now.

The most concerning things for the Wings is the backup goalie position, where Ty Conklin has struggled, but that isn’t going to be an urgent fix. There are some players who will be available to upgrade, but Conklin has shown he can be a reliable backup in the past so it’s likely the Wings will stand pat with what they have.

The New York Post’s Larry Brooks reports that the price for Tuomo Ruutu may currently be a first-round pick, which is a bit too pricey for suitors. Given the type of teams that might be interested the Chicago Blackhawks, Los Angeles Kings, New York Rangers, Boston Bruins and Detroit Red Wings, it’ll likely be a late-first rounder.

The Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch hears that the Leafs will offer eitherJoe Colborne or Nazem Kadri for Ruutu, but they may need to keep those guys if Bobby Ryan ever goes on the market.

The other player who might be able to be had for a first-rounder is Ales Hemsky, but there are clubs that may prefer Ruutu over Hemsky down the stretch.

The Detroit Red Wings have been linked to several forwards on the market, TSN’s Darren Dreger is saying they may chase Dallas Stars defenseman Nicklas Grossman. He’s slated to be an unrestricted free agent at season’s end and carries a very affordable $1.625 million cap hit this season.

NHL Trade Report | NHL Trade Rumors and Details

Malone, Kubina and Nabokov = Fister, Betemit and Young. Nothing flashing but fills their needs and makes the team deeper.

Holding out for Ruttu but the price looks like it keeps going up.

I didn't realize Malone has 3 years left after this year at a 4.5 salary cap hit. He is a very valuable play-off player and would up-grade the Red Wings forwards, but not at that money/years.

Still add a forward to improve the top 9 and another goalie. A depth vetern d-man would also be nice.

I don't see any kind of a big deal happening....with the very high possibility that we could lose both Lidstrom and Stuart next year, the Wings have to have available cash to go after a top notch defenseman...The team *is* first overall...so it isn't like there a a ton of glaring issues...I think getting the big guns like Zetterberg and Franzen scoring on a regular basis is really all the team needs....an actual back up goalie would be nice, but anyone who would be worthwhile would cost too much...Darn those Islanders!

I don't see any kind of a big deal happening....with the very high possibility that we could lose both Lidstrom and Stuart next year, the Wings have to have available cash to go after a top notch defenseman...The team *is* first overall...so it isn't like there a a ton of glaring issues...I think getting the big guns like Zetterberg and Franzen scoring on a regular basis is really all the team needs....an actual back up goalie would be nice, but anyone who would be worthwhile would cost too much...Darn those Islanders!

What does the cost matter if they are Unrestricted Free Agents at the end of the year? Basically anyone who gets mentioned in trades this time of the year are UFA's and their contract wont be on the book for next year. The only thing it will cost are prospects or draft picks.

As far as getting the big guns going consistantly, don't hold your breath. Franzen is one of the streakest players in the game today- can be absolute dominate for 5 games then frustrating for 5. Zetterberg just does not have it clicking this year. Still effective but not as dominate as the past.

The whole "1st Overall" thing I wouldn't get too excited about. I am really pulling for the Wings to finish 1st because the difference in caliber from teams fighting for the 8th spot as opposed to finishing 4th and playing a strong (most likely division rival) 5th seed is a HUGE difference. Or even playing L.A who has sat in 7th for a while. But the Play-offs do not come down to skill competitions which is where the Red Wings have been gathering many points.

When I look at the standings I feel good about the Wings. Watching them day to day it's a lot closer of a gap then the standings suggest right now. They aren't dominating teams but are finding ways to win which is what counts. Not to mention they have been on the road a lot and are much stronger at home (another reason to finish 1st overall).

The opportunity is there this year and they would be foolish not to add to this roster and make them stronger this year. They will still have all kinds of room to add just about anyone next off-season.

The shootout wins have mostly been in the past few weeks.

With the most points in the NHL (granted, not the most points per game), the 2nd best goal differential in the NHL, the 3rd most regulation wins in the NHL (would move into tie for 1st with win tonight), only 2 loser points, and having played 8 more road games than home games, I think a very good case could be made that the Wings have been the best team in the NHL this year (by a slight margin).

I desperately want the first seed in the West. Would much rather play St. Louis or Nashville in the 2nd round than Vancouver or San Jose, for example.

The shootout wins have mostly been in the past few weeks.

With the most points in the NHL (granted, not the most points per game), the 2nd best goal differential in the NHL, the 3rd most regulation wins in the NHL (would move into tie for 1st with win tonight), only 2 loser points, and having played 8 more road games than home games, I think a very good case could be made that the Wings have been the best team in the NHL this year (by a slight margin).

I desperately want the first seed in the West. Would much rather play St. Louis or Nashville in the 2nd round than Vancouver or San Jose, for example.

I agree with all of this and would argue with anyone that the Wings have in fact been the best team in the NHL thus far. That's why they need to take advantage and add a couple more pieces to make this team even stronger. I just don't like people justifying that the Wings don't need to make a move because they are in first place. This league is way too close to stand pat and since the salary cap they have not had the cap space and opportunity at the deadline to make a move.

There is probably only a 10% chance that the Wings make a move that will affect the amount of money they have to spend this summer. Trades are made for up coming UFA's.

Not all the players mentioned above were UFA's...I just don't see any of the UFA's who are out there right now (who are affordable that the Wings could realistically get) who would be a significant upgrade over what the Wings have now...not much in terms of young players to give up, and really who is Cory Emmerton or Doug Janik going to get you?

I would say considering the Wings are a .500 team on the road, with a somewhat anemic power play, two of their top three players having subpar years, no back up goalie to speak of, both assistant coaches with no NHL experience...and still being first in the league...not a bad place to be...

Sometimes the best move is not making one...Sometimes you get lightning in a bottle and other times its a disaster...

That list was a joke- Emmerton and Janik wont get you squat and will not be mentioned in trade talk. Teams will be asking for prospects and draft picks. I don't understand what you mean when you say "who are affordable that the Wings could realistically get." Money wise they have enough room to aquire just about anyone, short term or long term. I'm not saying that's smart but they do have the room to do so if they wish.

A forward who fits into their top 9 will make them better. Not only have they not stayed healthy in the last few play-offs, but it just makes them deeper overall. Weather you bring in a skilled guy like Hemsky to play on a top 2 line, then move Bert or Hudler down, or plug a guy into the 3rd line and move Miller or Helm down, it makes the team deeper (thus usually better).

And those coaches you speak of have very impressive track records and have changed some of the Wings style of play. I don't see how that has anything to do with anything.

I mean affordable in not having to give up a ridiculous amount for a 2 month rental. Who are all these can't miss prospects the Wings have that other teams want? Where did we get all these high draft picks that are going to get us a quality player? In case you haven't noticed, the Wings have the most productive 3rd and 4th lines in the league. We have secondary scoring, it's consistent primary scoring from Franzen, Zetterberg and Datsyuk that we're missing even strength and on the PP...I saw nothing out of Ales Hemsky in these recent games with Edmonton that made me think he's a top 6 forward on any team, let alone the Wings...

You don't think the coaches have anything to do with the game and how the team plays? Oookkkayyy...

The Red Wings have a top 5 prospect system. So, while they might not have many "top" guys, they have enough ammo to get what they want if they choose.

The coaches matter, but not a whole lot. Especially in the NHL on a team with the experience and leadership like the Wings have.

The farm system is as strong as it has been in a while. I'm not saying they are going to be able to bring in a star player but I don't think that is what the team is looking at adding right now either. There is absolutley no doubt they have what it takes to aquire a 5-9 forward, a depth defenseman or a goalie.

As far as the coaching, I thought the suggestion was we should be lucky with where the Red Wings are given the fact they have 2 coaches with no NHL experiance.

Cleary is hurt (again) which is all the more reason to add another depth forward. Danny is one of my favorite players on this team and is a huge assest when the games count. Unfortunetley (even when he is in the line-up) he looks like he has been battling injuries since 2008.

Sounds like Rick Nash is on the block. Hmm...

Yeah, but if the Wings covet Ryan Suter and Zach Parise as much as most of us believe, trading for Nash and his 8 million a year over the next few years is gonna take one or maybe both off the table - especially if Nick comes back, which I am starting to believe will happen.

I don't see them making a big trade this year - not with the abundance of free agents they could get next year and the way they are playing now. The current team is good enough to win a Cup right now, so why mess too much with that.

Plus in order to get a bigger name, the other teams are all gonna want Brendan Smith, and I think the Wings expect him to be a Top 2 defenseman.

At least Joey MacDonald is answering an important question about backup goalie.

Anyone interested in Jeff Carter in the offseason? His reputation as a headcase is probably more of a concern than his 10-year contract at a not unreasonable $5.3mm per year cap hit.

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Kubina watch continues. Hearing offers from both Det and Philly have been made.