Motor City Sonics

Trade deadline pickup speculation...........Name names...

I dont know what the number is, but I am pretty certain the Wings have a decent amount of money under the salary cap this year.

I think they are going to try and make a big splash this year.

Who could they go for?

If I was betting, I would be they will go for a scorer.

I know a lot of people were talking about Zack Parise, but the Devils are right in the thick of things. In face, not too many teams aren't in it.

Let the speculatin' begin.

Anyone think Rick Nash is a possibility?

Scratch that on the Rick Nash, way too expensive.

Teemu Salanne might be a real possibility. That could cost a prospect and not cost a long-term commitment. I think Getzlaf, Ryan or Corey Perry would cost a major player in return.

Parise we could probably sign in the offseason and it would take a LOAD to get him now.

Nash is too expensive, as you said.

Teemuu Selanne is a good possibility, as long as he and Kronwall can get along after the comments he made a few years ago.

Shane Doan I'd LOVE to get because I'd like to have a guy besides Bertuzzi that opposing fans despise... That said, he loves Phoenix, would cost a boatload, and is a free agent after this year.

If we were guaranteed to re-sign whoever we acquired, I'd vote for Doan... If we wanted a sure thing, I'd vote for Selanne.

I think Tuomo Ruutu would be a great addition. He could play on any of the top 3 lines and is a play-off type hard nose player.

There is a lot of talk of Detroit being the most likely destination for Ales Hemsky. He would probably fit in well with this current team and his offensively skilled play would allow for an easy blend into the Wings puck possession style, ut I just think he's too soft too often and I would prefer a tougher player with less offensive skill.

Either way- the Red Wings need to and must add another forward. Here is a recent story from Pierre LaBrun.

Trade rumblings: With demand peaking, which forwards are available? - Cross Checks Blog - ESPN

Do you think the flyers would trade Lilja away? We could resign him for 5 years, maybe $30-$35 million? We could use a cornerstone like him with Lidstrom retiring soon. Plus, if there's ever a rubber shortage he could fill in during practice as a pylon.

Big Rig 4 Lyfe!!

Do you think the flyers would trade Lilja away? We could resign him for 5 years, maybe $30-$35 million? We could use a cornerstone like him with Lidstrom retiring soon. Plus, if there's ever a rubber shortage he could fill in during practice as a pylon.

Big Rig 4 Lyfe!!

My heart almost gave out until I read the word "plus" and onwards. I thought you were serious. Nicely done.

I really do think the Wings are going to make a big splash at the deadline this year. They have not done that in a while. I keep thinking Selanne for Hudler, a prospect and a draft pick.

I don't think Doan is such a bad idea. Yes, he loves Phoenix, but remember that he has never won a playoff series in his career. He'd be hungry. The team kind of needs a bit of an agitator because they don't have Maltby or Lapointe anymore and Bertuzzi isn't that guy anymore.

Hard to imagine Doan leaving Phoenix if they are still in Play-Off contention. Also I'm not sure Selanne is that big of an upgrade over Hudler to swap. I would rather move prospects and picks so that the Wings current roster does not have depth taken away. Basically I would rather have Salanne over Hudler, but I would perfer both.

It's too bad so many teams are looking for a forward. It seems many trade deadlines teams are looking for a 3-5 defenceman.

What I said in the other thread...

I've been leaning more towards wanting to make a move. My contingency though is to not go out and make it a superstar move by adding Parise or Ryan. Specific to Parise is that while I don't want to miss out on him because another team made their move first and got him, I think it is a waste to trade, potentially several top prospects and early round picks, for a guy that a few months later you can sign. However, I also don't want to make a move that affects our cap space and ultimate ability to go out, be aggressive in the off-season and go after guys like Shea Weber, Ryan Suter and/or Parise. I don't want to overpay for a second or third line guy and have that move put a crimp on our of-season plans.

Tuomo Ruutu and Drew Stafford are the two guys mentioned in trade speculation that I am interested in right now. Ruttu and Stafford both have size, strength and goal scoring ability. Both can beef up our physical presence as second or third line guys. They'd be a great fit in a playoff series against a team like San Jose or Chicago, pounding against their forwards along the boards for the puck or in the clear looking to take control of center ice battles. Each could possibly be suitable and stable replacements for Bert and Homer too, should we decide not to bring them back next year.

Ruutu and Stafford have fairly similar career numbers with Ruutu having a slightly better season so far this year. Stafford has had a down year with the rest of the Buffalo Sabres, only on pace for 14 goals this year and Ruutu has numbers consistent with his career production on an awful Carolina team. The one tipping point for Ruutu over Stafford is that he is not signed to a multi-year deal as Stafford is. Ruutu is slated for free agency after the season and Stafford still has another three years left on his contract at 4 million a year. Ruutu's contract situation definitely gives Ken Holland and Co. in the front office more flexibility to work with and is why I'd choose to make a deal for him over Stafford.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Hudler for Malkin, straight up

I would lean towards making that trade. Malkin isn't the unique talent that Hudler is, but Malkin is 2 1/2 years younger than Hudler so Malkin has that going for him.

Trade Bait: Who The Detroit Red Wings May Be Willing To Deal

Added by Andrew Johnson on February 2, 2012.

With the trade deadline fast approaching, the talk surrounding the Detroit Red Wings has primarily been focused on what holes they’ll look to fill, and what pieces they may add for the stretch run. However, little acknowledgement has been given to the fact that you must give in order to receive, that in order to add a piece, they’ll have to lose one. Which brings us to the all-important question; What pieces are the Red Wings willing to lose?

Whether that lost piece is a player, a draft pick, or a combination of the 2 wont be known until a potential deal is done, but Red Wings General Manager Ken Holland has indicated recently that he’ll be reluctant to give up any early round picks. That leaves players, but which ones might the franchise be willing to part with?

Cory Emmerton (BridgetDS/Flickr)

Cory Emmerton

Playing on the 4th line, Emmerton hasn’t yet reached his potential. With 8 points in 40 games and an average ice time of 8 minutes per game, the Red Wings would likely consider him expendable. Detroit has plenty of players that can fill the 3rd and 4th line role, and several of them are young and established, meaning there wont be space for Emmerton to take over any time soon. With the rising stock of several Red Wings prospects, Cory doesn’t look to fit into the Red Wings future plans. Already fighting Jan Mursak for a 4th line spot, Emmerton could easily be squeezed out when injured Patrick Eaves returns, making him all the more likely to be moved.

Joakim Andersson

Andersson has already topped his points total from his rookie season in Grand Rapids, but hasn’t turned heads in his performances with Detroit (which are few and far between). The excitement surrounding and potential of Griffins’ points leader and fellow Swede Gustav Nyquist may push Andersson down the depth charts far enough that he becomes a player Detroit can do without. At 22, Andersson is still young and packs plenty of potential, something that could be very enticing for a team that’s looking to build towards the future.

Tomas Tatar

Tied for 2nd on the Griffins in points, Tatar may be the hardest player to wrench away from the Wings, but it certainly wouldn’t be impossible to do so. Already placed on the back burner because of other prospects, Tatar’s time with Detroit may be wearing thin despite his promising play. His skating ability is his best attribute, and as he continues to develop his scoring touch and defensive game, he could become just the player a few teams are looking for.

Doug Janik

The 31-year-old defenseman has seen his value to Detroit fall rapidly with the successes of Jakub Kindl and Brendan Smith. Janik has 181 games of NHL experience to his name which may help his cause. With 19 points in 43 games this year in Grand Rapids, the 6’2″ defender is a +16 and has proven to be capable on both ends of the ice. For a team like Columbus that has struggled to find defensemen, Janik could be a nice addition.

(Mark Goldman/Icon SMI)

Fabian Brunnstrom

Brunnstrom signed a tryout contract with the Red Wings in the offseason and impressed the management enough to earn himself a 1 year contract. Since then, everything has been down hill for the Swedish forward. He has played just 5 games with the team, notching only an assist, and instead spending most of his season with the Red Wings’ AHL affiliate Grand Rapids Griffins. With 16 points in 20 games there, Brunnstrom hasn’t been exceptional, but he has been good. He’s shown plenty of potential in the past (29 points in 55 games during his rookie NHL campaign), but will teams remember the Brunnstrom that logged a hat trick in his first game, or the Brunnstrom we’ve seen lately?

Logan Pyett

Pyett has spent 4 seasons with the Griffins as a defenseman, and he too has seen his value fall as he’s been passed over by more promising players in the system. The difference, is that Pyett is just 23 years old and still has plenty of potential to be developed. The Canadian defender has been a consistent performer in the AHL thus far, though his goal total has taken a hit this season. For team willing to take a chance on a young defender, Pyett is the perfect candidate.

Will the Red Wings look for a goal-scorer? Will they add a defensemen? Only time will tell, but it’s a strong bet that one of these 6 players will be included in any transaction they participate in.

Trade Bait: Who The Detroit Red Wings May Be Willing To Deal | The Hockey Writers

I would trip over myself making a deal involving any of those guys not named Tatar. Emmerton is what he is, he doesn't really do anything well at the NHL level. Andersson has progressed a lot more than I expected, but it is mostly due to hardwork (not a bad thing) and I don't think he'd be a huge loss. Janik is Janik. Brunnstrom isn't very good. I don't expect much from Pyett. I don't think many teams would take these guys back, unless maybe it is Emmerton/Andersson as lesser pieces in a trade and at least Emmerton would clear a roster spot.

I also wouldn't be opposed to including Tatar in a deal (much less hesitant than other prospects) if it leads to a top 6 forward or a top 4 defenseman.

Brenden Morrow is expected to be in play as the trade deadline approaches, and several clubs might be interested in adding the veteran forward as a rental down the stretch. The Edmonton Journal’s Jim Matheson says the San Jose Sharks,Vancouver Canucks, Detroit Red Wings, New York Rangers and Washington Capitals could all eye Morrow.

So how much will Morrow cost on the market? Well Matheson writes, “Dustin Penner, nowhere near the player Morrow is, fetched a first-round draft pick and Colten Teubert last February when he had one year left at $4.25 million. I’d say a first-rounder definitely and and a top-six player or top four defenceman, for sure.”

To be honest, I don't think we are going to be adding much of anything until the summer. I'd also like to wait a bit longer on Tatar and see how he flourishes. Agree though, the rest are expendible for a good deal

But that Penner trade was crazy for the Kings!

And I agree... I don't think they will add anybody because of asking prices and a pretty full roster as it is, but I've been wrong before!

From that list of players I cannot see much of a deal getting done. A team like Edmonton is looking to build depth around their young star talent so maybe a Kindal, Emmerton and a 2nd could land Hemsky. Although Hemsky is not the player I desire the Wings to pick-up, it's been so long since they made anything near an impact deadline deal that I would be happy with that.

This team is very close and they cannot afford to stand pat! If Babcock wants another defenceman then grab an Andy Sutton or Pavel Kubina for next to nothing too. Coach knows best.

From that list of players I cannot see much of a deal getting done. A team like Edmonton is looking to build depth around their young star talent so maybe a Kindal, Emmerton and a 2nd could land Hemsky. Although Hemsky is not the player I desire the Wings to pick-up, it's been so long since they made anything near an impact deadline deal that I would be happy with that.

This team is very close and they cannot afford to stand pat! If Babcock wants another defenceman then grab an Andy Sutton or Pavel Kubina for next to nothing too. Coach knows best.

I heard Jurco's name being thrown around in Hemsky rumors... no thanks!

On TGOR this morning on the Team 1200 in Ottawa Pierre MacGuire said he strongly believes Holland makes a run at Rick Nash with a serious offer.

Holy wow. I am not sure I would want to touch that contract with 6 more years and $7.8 million a season, especially when you'd have to give up a lot in return to Columbus. Then again, it's Rick freakin' Nash. Given the choice though of signing Parise in the off-season or acquiring Nash, I'll wait and hope Parise is there for the signing.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

On TGOR this morning on the Team 1200 in Ottawa Pierre MacGuire said he strongly believes Holland makes a run at Rick Nash with a serious offer. What would the cost be. and would this even be fair to any other team?

Disregard.