CapitalTigers

2012 Offseason thread

Gosdar and Backus both seemed to get better as they healed up. I liked our OL play this year at all 5 spots to be honest. We need youth and depth, as Backus is old, Cherilus has had injuries, and Raiola/Peterman won't be around for the long haul exactly, but the starting unit is one I feel comfortable with.

You'd really go as far as to say you're comfortable with that starting line? You're right, Backus is old, and got beat more than a few times by good DE's. All it takes is one good solid hit on Stafford (or any QB for that matter), and he could be out again....see the Julius Peppers hit from two years ago, or even though it didn't result in an injury, look at how Jared Allen single-handedly destroyed Backus, and how much added pressure that put on Stafford in a game we snuck away with. That's not someone I feel comfortable with, especially against the kind of pass rushing DE's he's going to line up against. Also not a huge fan of Peterman. My final breaking point was in the NOLA game where he was damn near falling over himself trying to pull on blocks. Not only opening up that gap, but taking people out & causing mayhem on the line at the same time....yeah, no thanks. I mean, I don't even like Raiola, but I'm good with keeping him over those two.

Obviously, if those are our best options (please no....), and we have no other choice, then we stick with them. But no way would I say I'm comfortable with what we've got right now.

I heard a stat recently the Lions blitzed less than any team in the league this year. I have a problem with that, especially considering how weak our defense was late in the year. The Lions stubbornly stuck with their 4 man rush and it killed them against the Saints in the playoffs. The blitz might not have been any more effective against Brees but you have to at least try it more often to make something happen.

Problem is it's basically an instant touchdown everytime the Lions blitz (see green bay game #2) because the coverage is so horrible. Until they find a CB who can cover anyone in a single man to man look they can't afford to blitz.

I think this was a big part of the lack of pressure too, it's no doubt the D-Line was not as good as advertised, but at the same time when you can only rush 4 every play it's going to be tough to get a ton of sacks.

I think we should cut Williams and let Tulloch walk. To me, Tulloch is nothing more than a plug and play linebacker and we got better production out of that position including coverage with Levy last season. We should make a run at Courtland Finnigan ... this team is void of any bump and run corners that our physical. A fallback would be a one year contract to Trufant or Carlos Rogers.

Avril is a must re-sign. I'd be comfortable drafting any position in the draft as long as we continue the best available philosophy but signing Finnegan should be a priority in my opinion and he obviously won't come cheap.

Finnegan would be a great CB pickup, although expensive as previously noted. I'd love to see Brent Grimes (CB-Atlanta) and/or LaRon Landry (S-Wash) in a Lions uniform next year. Both are coming off injuries so they may be available for cheaper than expected.

Finnegan would be a great CB pickup, although expensive as previously noted. I'd love to see Brent Grimes (CB-Atlanta) and/or LaRon Landry (S-Wash) in a Lions uniform next year. Both are coming off injuries so they may be available for cheaper than expected.

I have a lot of faith in Mayhew to get the pieces in place. If LaRon Landry is available, I would go after him asap.

IMHO, the Lions are in a good position and should trade draft picks for younger veterans(3-5 years in the league) that would be/are available.

I don't think the Lions' cap situation will allow them to sign their own players and sign top tier free agents. I've seen some suggestions to allow Tulloch to walk, which isn't bright imo. He's a very good player, I hope the Lions re-sign him.

Honestly, I save the dough by letting Avril sign elsewhere. He's popular, but we need flexibility and we can draft one DE in the 1st two rounds if the value is right. We can get a decent part of Avril's production next year from LoJack and Willie Young pretty cheaply.

I don't think the Lions' cap situation will allow them to sign their own players and sign top tier free agents. I've seen some suggestions to allow Tulloch to walk, which isn't bright imo. He's a very good player, I hope the Lions re-sign him.

Yep, Tulloch is very important. I think given this teams depth, Tulloch is more important than Avril and we probably have to cut ties with a damn good DT like Corey Williams as well.

I would rather cut Vanden Bosch and Williams lose instead of losing Avril. If the Lions draft Konz or Adams, they can cut lose Backus or Raiola and save more money. I really think if Willie Young was given more playing time, he would be a solid DE. If I remember correctly, he was the one who caused the Brees fumble. He always seems to get pressure when he gets playing opportunity.

I would rather cut Vanden Bosch and Williams lose instead of losing Avril. If the Lions draft Konz or Adams, they can cut lose Backus or Raiola and save more money. I really think if Willie Young was given more playing time, he would be a solid DE. If I remember correctly, he was the one who caused the Brees fumble. He always seems to get pressure when he gets playing opportunity.

I would consider cutting KVB and Williams even if we are not able to bring Avril back. KVB is clearly on the downside of his career and Williams is not good enough to justify having extreme depth at one position when we have so many holes at other positions.

I don't understand the love fest for Tulloch. He is a nice run stopper and has great instincts but continually had problems getting deep enough on his drops in pass coverage this year and has stiff hips. In a passing league, that really limits your effectiveness unless you are playing a very run orientated offense.

I would love to bring Landry in if he is healthy. He would be a big upgrade over Spivey and will probably give us better bang for our buck than going after one of the top corners in free agency.

Tulloch will depend on price. No way I pay him elite MLB money. A lot of LBs got paid in the last couple years, like Timmons,Beason,Ryan etc. and I don't want to pay him anywhere near what those guys got. If he wants solid starter money and acknowledges that he'll probably come off in nickel packages either this year or in the near future, then we should bring him back.

IMO, they will not let Avril walk. He will definitely be franchised at the least and I think within a year they will work something out. They like him a lot and he has been very productive. Even when he was getting 6 sacks per, he was doing it in half the snaps of your average starting DE. I think he'll get 6/45-50 with 15-20 guaranteed. The last 2 years of course will be inflated dummy years.

I don't think it will come down to cutting Vanden Bosch. Williams I could see, but he's getting old and there won't be much of a market for him at big money. He'll probably renegotiate for a smaller salary ,not just moving money,if asked. If not you cut him and move on with Fairley,Hill and maybe add a depth body to replace Fluellen. Mike Martin baby! I think Avril and Calvin are both formalities, they will get paid whatever it takes in the end. I'm not saying they'll pay Avril Demarcus Ware or Julius Peppers money, but I don't think he will be asking for that in the end.

I'd like to get one youngster in there at S, but if we brought HArris back to start with Delmas with Spievey working as the #3 and continuing to learn the position, I could live with that. Harris was actually pretty solid for us. This is assuming we upgrade CB big time though.

I'd like to get one youngster in there at S, but if we brought HArris back to start with Delmas with Spievey working as the #3 and continuing to learn the position, I could live with that. Harris was actually pretty solid for us. This is assuming we upgrade CB big time though.

I don't agree that Harris was solid...I thought he was horrible for the Lions. There is a reason the Bears cut him...he can't play and is past it even at a relatively young age (29). I think the Lions are in even more of a need for upgrade at S than at CB. I think injuries really limited Chris Houston and Eric Wright can be pretty good at times. Spievey is just too green at S and his speed is questionable. I'd LOVE to see Laron Landry back there to compliment Delmas. Definitely feel we can get better at CB, too, especially with numerous free agents in 2012.

I saw a quote from Mayhew saying they want to bring Backus back. IF the Lions go into next season with the same starting OL I will cry, because they were horrid.

Eric Wright needs to go, he was about as bad as they come at the CB position. Defense definitely needs some help in order to be a good run stopping team.

I saw a quote from Mayhew saying they want to bring Backus back. IF the Lions go into next season with the same starting OL I will cry, because they were horrid.

Eric Wright needs to go, he was about as bad as they come at the CB position. Defense definitely needs some help in order to be a good run stopping team.

I think a healthy Fairley would help the run game, but I'm not an expert!

I don't agree that Harris was solid...I thought he was horrible for the Lions. There is a reason the Bears cut him...he can't play and is past it even at a relatively young age (29). I think the Lions are in even more of a need for upgrade at S than at CB. I think injuries really limited Chris Houston and Eric Wright can be pretty good at times. Spievey is just too green at S and his speed is questionable. I'd LOVE to see Laron Landry back there to compliment Delmas. Definitely feel we can get better at CB, too, especially with numerous free agents in 2012.

Gunther is high on Speivey. I am pretty high on Ricardo Silva. I think the Lions are in great shape at safety. You can never have enough corners.

Gunther is high on Speivey. I am pretty high on Ricardo Silva. I think the Lions are in great shape at safety. You can never have enough corners.

Your evaluations are puzzling sometimes. IMO, we were incredibly weak at safety this season, and what was most concerning is that Speivey was physically and mentally outmatched. He didn't understand his positioning and he got beat by receivers on a consistent basis.

I will defer to you on Silva, because we haven't got much time to evaluate since he hasn't played much. What is his ceiling?

I have a hard time believing Silva will turn into anything, besides the glowing reviews he got before this season he hasn't really done much (although didn't he have a lot of tackles one preseason game? I do hesitate to put stock in preseason warriors though). I know he was hurt, but he was practice squad wasn't he? Why didn't another team take interest?

We are not going to be able to upgrade over Backus next year. I had hoped we would have a young left tackle in place by now so Backus could move to guard or right tackle but the Lions have failed to spend find somebody in the draft. We need to draft one high this year. Stafford's development should allow us to eek one or two more years out of Backus at left tackle.

There are some elite guards to be had this offseason, either by free agency or the first round of the draft, and that is the route the Lions should go. If we were just to significantly upgrade at right guard, I think it would make our whole line look better.

Tulloch will depend on price. No way I pay him elite MLB money. A lot of LBs got paid in the last couple years, like Timmons,Beason,Ryan etc. and I don't want to pay him anywhere near what those guys got. If he wants solid starter money and acknowledges that he'll probably come off in nickel packages either this year or in the near future, then we should bring him back.

IMO, they will not let Avril walk. He will definitely be franchised at the least and I think within a year they will work something out. They like him a lot and he has been very productive. Even when he was getting 6 sacks per, he was doing it in half the snaps of your average starting DE. I think he'll get 6/45-50 with 15-20 guaranteed. The last 2 years of course will be inflated dummy years.

I don't think it will come down to cutting Vanden Bosch. Williams I could see, but he's getting old and there won't be much of a market for him at big money. He'll probably renegotiate for a smaller salary ,not just moving money,if asked. If not you cut him and move on with Fairley,Hill and maybe add a depth body to replace Fluellen. Mike Martin baby! I think Avril and Calvin are both formalities, they will get paid whatever it takes in the end. I'm not saying they'll pay Avril Demarcus Ware or Julius Peppers money, but I don't think he will be asking for that in the end.

I tend to agree they will not let Avril walk. I don't agree with paying him franchise tag money but if it was for just one year, I would not have a problem with it. The problem is he will want that kind of money on a multi-year deal.

I doubt there were 10 OLs that outplayed the Lions this year. Backus was generally excellent other than the game where Jared Allen treated him like a ragdoll, which he did to just about everyone this year. If we can get a Konz type, I'd be ok with upgrading at C to a guy who can move the pile a little more, but overall I think our interior OL is a strength. Raiola is a good fit for this team given that we will always likely be pass heavy. He handled all of the mental duties of a C very well too. Cherilus could be upgraded and doing something like drafting a 1st rounder to play RT this year while taking over for Backus in a year or 2 isnt' too bad of an idea IMO. I can live with Cherilus coming back though, ideally with a decent backup brought in, though they do like Fox.

They were 16th in sacks allowed while #1 in pass attempts and 13th in yards per attempt with below average RBs and few big plays to skew the average, other than Best early.

Edited by Nastradamus