CapitalTigers

2012 Offseason thread

They have the physical talent to do the job.

I hope the Lions think they have the physical talent to do the job, otherwise why would they have drafted them?

There are reasons why other teams passed on the CB's and they were available when they were taken.

Report: Detroit Lions, Cliff Avril $2 million per season apart on contract negotiations | MLive.com

If Avril is asking for 4/42 mil deal with 21 guaranteed, sign the man. That is extremely reasonable. Guarantee all of the first year - treat it exactly as you would the franchise tag - and that means you are working with a 3 year, 31.5 mil contract with 10.5 guaranteed after 2012.

And do it today. Eliminate the Titus Young story from the news.

If you want to keep him after 2012, you aren't going to get a better deal. He can get more than 3/31.5 if he leaves the team in free agency and it would cost 12.72 mil just to franchise tag him.

Ah, seems the story was poorly reported.

The initial NFL report said Avril people is looking more than 4/42 mil. That was then reported as Avril is looking at approximately 4/42 mil. The 2 mil a difference may be right, with the Lions offering something around 10 a year with Avril looking for 12.

I can't believe that Cliff Avril would sign for anything less than 12 mil a year, which is why I would trade him.

Nope. Let him play like a to 10 end before paying him like one.

10.5 mil for a new contract on a 25 year old pass rusher you have to pay 10.6 mil anyway is an absolute steal. A good GM makes that deal - and I am guessing that is around what we are offering him.

I never fully realized how terrible a lot of sports journalism is. Twentyman and MLive completely botched the reporting from the NFL.com report.

Both Twentyman and MLive described Avril as seeking approximately 4 yr/42 mil when the NFL reported only that he is seeking a 4 year deal worth more than the 10.6 his franchise tag is worth per year.

There is absolutely no incentive for the Lions to sign him for any more than the franchise tag amount. If he wants $12 million a year, then play like he deserves it this year and he'll get it. If he doesn't play up to that number, we sign him for less next offseason...it's a win-win for the team. Either they get an elite DE and feel more confident shelling out the $$$ for him, or his production drops as does the contract.

Absolutely.

And with this front office I feel confident in assuming they would take value if it presented itself in a trade offer. That is the best thing about being a Lions fan right now, I can rest easy giving Mayhew the benefit of the doubt in all areas of roster management. He has been effectively aggressive in trades, excellent in drafts and solid in free agency signings.

If I was in the NFL and I could have a one year franchise tender or a long term deal, I would fight tooth and nail for that long term deal. Avril could sign the one year deal and then play lights out but then get injured in week 16 and lose all that he worked for, thru no fault of his own. I understand where these hold outs are coming from wanting their pay day.

But as some others have said, I don't see him lowering his demands just because the season is nearing.

That is 2 games lighter than I thought it would be.

I thought the same thing. He still loses 4 game checks, so I guess he's punished more than the organization. I wonder if Fairley gets the same.

Polian also used the word "dominant" in relation to the Lions. As a long time fan I'm very scared. lol

"Polian said the Green Bay Packers are "a great team," suggested the Detroit Lions are "very close to being a great team" and said the Chicago Bears "can be a great team if everything falls into place." All three could make the playoffs, Polian said, and the Minnesota Vikings will "give you a battle." "

Ranking the Lions ahead of the Bears? - NFC North Blog - ESPN

Lions' Nate Burleson: Calvin Johnson came to minicamp 'stronger, faster' | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Before the Lions broke minicamp earlier this month, a reporter asked receiver Nate Burleson to name a teammate who had a standout spring or surprised him in any way.

Burleson's answer, without much hesitation: Calvin Johnson.

.........Burleson said Johnson looked "stronger and faster" this spring and should put up more eye-popping numbers come fall.

Great news for the Lions as CJ is always ready to roll.

I hope Suh is ready to roll too. Big year for Suh would be great instead of Subway commercials, dating shows, etc.

Edited by nd1377

I'm a big Sean Jones fan. I'm not sure why, probably because he was great in college and that's what I remember most. I think he's an instant starter next to Delmas as things stand today.

There is a defensive end from Georgia, Montez Robinson who could be intruging as a post-Supplemental Draft UDFA. Some legit raw tools. Definite off the field concerns and he is very raw - but may be worth a practice squad stash.

There is a defensive end from Georgia' date=' Montez Robinson who could be intruging as a post-Supplemental Draft UDFA. Some legit raw tools. Definite off the field concerns and he is very raw - but may be worth a practice squad stash.[/quote']

Here's a list of all of them:

Eight players are eligible for the supplemental draft | ProFootballTalk