CapitalTigers

2012 Offseason thread

Suh's contract is good through 2015, which is a voidable year. CJ is in the last year of his deal and will be making $14 million. I absolutely disagree that we should franchise Avril, he's earned a payday, but at no where near franchise tag numbers which will be around $11 million. He deserves a KVB size contract at somewhere around $5 million a year...which is also what I'd like to see Tulloch sign at.

I think you are dead on with your observations regarding Avril. He is a nice player but franchise money should be saved for the impact players and cornerstones of the franchise.

I can live without Gunther Cunningham. Steve Spagnuolo is available and would be a nice fit. This Lions defense is similar to the Giants defense he used to coach.

I heard a stat recently the Lions blitzed less than any team in the league this year. I have a problem with that, especially considering how weak our defense was late in the year. The Lions stubbornly stuck with their 4 man rush and it killed them against the Saints in the playoffs. The blitz might not have been any more effective against Brees but you have to at least try it more often to make something happen.

The sooner they re-sign CJ to a new long-term deal, the better I'll feel. Even though the Lions are obviously better, I still feel like he'll get out of town as soon as he can. Just a hunch.

I think the Lions could afford to cut some of their more expensive veterans if it would save them money and allow them to retain some younger players or fill other holes. I know fans love Burleson as a possession receiver but Johnson and Young are both very strong possession receivers as well so I think Burleson is replaceable with a younger, faster, receiver. KVB and Corey Williams could easily be replaced by Willie Young and Sammie Lee Hill without much drop-off at all. Hill, in particular, really came on strong late in the season. We lose some depth but you gain that back by going out and drafting younger, cheaper, players with upside in the later rounds (as we did a few years ago with Young and Hill).

The sooner they re-sign CJ to a new long-term deal, the better I'll feel. Even though the Lions are obviously better, I still feel like he'll get out of town as soon as he can. Just a hunch.

Out of complete paranoia or what?? He's in an absolutely perfect spot right now. Good young team with a great QB that should be around for quite a while.

The contract Fitzgerald got from Arizona could make things tricky. I think Johnson deserves to be the highest paid player in the NFL but 15 millions dollars plus for a receiver seems absurd to me.

The contract Fitzgerald got from Arizona could make things tricky. I think Johnson deserves to be the highest paid player in the NFL but 15 millions dollars plus for a receiver seems absurd to me.

No, thinking that the Lions might pay CJ too much money is absurd. What combination of substitutes for $15MM would you advise would be superior to having CJ for $15MM? It boggles my mind to think that anybody who watches CJ regularly could worry about keeping him because of how much salary it would take.

Fans have been forever warped by the fantasy sports mindset. Do we really think that we as fans can possibly know where to place a ceiling on someone's value such that we should say "no!" to our team's wish to sign/pay a certain amount? I barely trust the average NFL brass to figure out the complexities inherent in determining "true" player value in the context of salary caps, team finances, roster construction, on the field competitiveness, and comparative evaluation of other contracts (esp. given that every team has their own environment/limitations/talent mix/competitiveness considerations/etc. to factor into their own player pricing) -- why would I ever hold my own opinion or the opinion of any fan or sportswriter in sufficiently high enough regard to agree with the thought of vetoing (even if it's just a post on a sports blog) the Lions keeping CJ because he's too expensive?

Out of complete paranoia or what?? He's in an absolutely perfect spot right now. Good young team with a great QB that should be around for quite a while.

I just feel like he's gonna wanna go to a place that's a consistent contender. There's not many guys who are the best in the league at their position who are on a team that isn't competing for a super bowl when their contract comes up.

And before anyone comes in using absolutes, note that I said "not many" and "when their contract comes up"

Edited by KleShreen

I just feel like he's gonna wanna go to a place that's a consistent contender.

The Lions are getting closer to a consistent contender. Stafford just completed his first full season and is clearly the best young QB in the NFL. CJ will stay in Detroit.

After the past two games the defense has played(missed tackles, no pressure on QB, bad communication in secondary, etc), it is clear the Lions need to concentrate on their pathetic defense.

I heard a stat recently the Lions blitzed less than any team in the league this year. I have a problem with that, especially considering how weak our defense was late in the year. The Lions stubbornly stuck with their 4 man rush and it killed them against the Saints in the playoffs. The blitz might not have been any more effective against Brees but you have to at least try it more often to make something happen.

Every time they blitzed they got burned pretty badly.

The Lions are getting closer to a consistent contender. Stafford just completed his first full season and is clearly the best young QB in the NFL. CJ will stay in Detroit.

After the past two games the defense has played(missed tackles, no pressure on QB, bad communication in secondary, etc), it is clear the Lions need to concentrate on their pathetic defense.

The Lions are nowhere close to being the Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, Packers or Saints. Those are what I would consider "consistent contenders"

Suh's contract is good through 2015, which is a voidable year. CJ is in the last year of his deal and will be making $14 million. I absolutely disagree that we should franchise Avril, he's earned a payday, but at no where near franchise tag numbers which will be around $11 million. He deserves a KVB size contract at somewhere around $5 million a year...which is also what I'd like to see Tulloch sign at.

Avril's going to get himself 8 or 9 per on a long term deal. A one year deal on the tag is always going to be a slight premium, so 11(10.5?) is hardly ridiculous. You don't let him walk for no compensation over that much for sure. Now if they/you aren't willing to pay him the 8 or so long term, its another story

The Lions are nowhere close to being the Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, Packers or Saints. Those are what I would consider "consistent contenders"

They are getting closer and what four out of five of those teams have is a franchise QB that makes them a great team. Detroit has Stafford and I consider him a rising star as long as he can stay on the field. You have to build to get to the point of a consistent contender and I think if the Lions add a few more pieces they can be there.

The biggest urgency for me, is upgrading/replenishing the older guys that aren't quite doing it for us - Van den Bosch, Backus and Raiola. Critical that we get a young, hungry, fresh and talented line to protect Stafford.

Do any of those teams have both the $$$ and the QB that Detroit could offer? Honest question.

Do any of those teams have both the $$$ and the QB that Detroit could offer? Honest question.

Exactly. Not only could the Lions enter the elite next year, but many of those teams are in cap hell. I know the Steelers are gonna take a hit in the offseason because of the cap.

The biggest urgency for me, is upgrading/replenishing the older guys that aren't quite doing it for us - Van den Bosch, Backus and Raiola. Critical that we get a young, hungry, fresh and talented line to protect Stafford.

I thought I heard/read in the shortened preseason that Jason Fox was looking good/impressive before his injury. I don't know if that meant he was ready to start or not but hopefully he can come back healthy and start for the Lions.

The Patriots, Steelers, Packers and Saints each have the QB that Detroit can offer. I have no idea on money, but it's another season away, who knows what their cap situation will look like then.

The Patriots, Steelers, Packers and Saints each have the QB that Detroit can offer. I have no idea on money, but it's another season away, who knows what their cap situation will look like then.

I personally doubt those teams will have the cash next year.

Also, can't the Lions just franchise him?

Lastly, why do you think he is going to look to bolt to another team? I don't think he is unhappy in Detroit, especially with the progress this year.

I personally doubt those teams will have the cash next year.

Also, can't the Lions just franchise him?

Lastly, why do you think he is going to look to bolt to another team? I don't think he is unhappy in Detroit, especially with the progress this year.

Like I said, I feel like he'll want to be with a team that is contending every year. He's proved what he can do, has the accolades, just doesn't have the title. I think the Lions have a better chance than say, two years ago, when Calvin looked like the most depressed person in the world every game on the sidelines, but I still don't know if it's enough to keep him in Detroit. I'd feel more confident in their chances if they at least make it to the NFC title game next year...I just think in the end, he'll want to be with a winner.

The Lions were 10-6, but, as I keep saying, the front office is going to earn their money from here on out.

This was a 10-6 team that made the playoffs, yet it still has great holes - LB, secondary, running game and some of the OLine spots. The Lions will try to address these issues while having to be concerned with some of their supposed strengths - Backus and VandenBosch for example - getting old and one wondering if they can be as productive another year as they were this year.

The Lions have established themselves a nice season this year, but it really is going to be a challenge to take it the next step. Heck, it is for every team. But I think a lot of people I talk to think it's a snap of the fingers, improve this spot and this team is 12-4 next year.

It is going to be a challenging offseason and it will be interesting to see what the Lions do. But, finally for the first time in a long time, even I find myself eagerly anticipating the path the Lions chose to take this offseason. Again, this is where they will truly earn their money or their legitimacy. I'm excited to see if they can do it.

Like I said, I feel like he'll want to be with a team that is contending every year. He's proved what he can do, has the accolades, just doesn't have the title. I think the Lions have a better chance than say, two years ago, when Calvin looked like the most depressed person in the world every game on the sidelines, but I still don't know if it's enough to keep him in Detroit. I'd feel more confident in their chances if they at least make it to the NFC title game next year...I just think in the end, he'll want to be with a winner.

Why isn't Detroit a 'winner' or presume he doesn't view them as a winner?

Given the ages of Brady / Brees / Rodgers / Stafford, a very good argument could be made he currently is in the best situation for him long term. You speak of going to New England as if it is a no-brainer. Even presuming they have the money and are willing to spend it on him (I doubt it), Tom Brady will be 36 when Johnson joins them in the hypothetical. Is that a good idea for Calvin to win a Super Bowl? I'm not sure as that it is. Drew Brees will be 34. Aaron Rodgers is the only one that makes sense out of that bunch at age 30, and that assumes GB will move heaven and earth for Johnson.

Two years ago is a completely different thing than today. I don't blame him for feeling miserable then - it is completely understandable - desireable even. But look no further than the Colts - 10 straight years of being a top team in the league then horrible this year and their future isn't assured by any means. I think most players understand it is better to look at where the team is at today, how well it is positioned for tomorrow, and forget about yesterday, because things change quickly in the NFL.

Besides, can't the Lions franchise Johnson?

The Lions were 10-6, but, as I keep saying, the front office is going to earn their money from here on out.

To be fair, and forgive me if I am wrong in my recollections, but you said essentially the same thing last year, IIRC.

I think the front office demonstrated it earned its' money. Obviously if the Lions flounder from here, then they need to be looked at and dealt with accordingly, but I don't think going from 0 -> 2 -> 6 -> 10 wins should have been expected or par for the course.