John_Brian_K

Playoff Game 1: January 7, 2012 @ 8:00PM Detroit Lions -v- New Orleans Saints

Drew Brees throws 6 interceptions and the Lions score 31 points in the 2nd quarter.

Lions 58

Saints 37

It's a playoff game and I'm so excited I can't turn my TV off ESPNNEWS re-runs, so I'll go all out in my prediction... This will be a long one...

Lions win the coin toss (tails never fails) and defer to the 2nd half... New Orleans recieves the ball to start.

1st Quarter

New Orleans returns the ball to the NO 37, and Drew Brees marches them down the field for a TD without even breaking a sweat.

7-0 NO, 11:47 left in 1Q

Detroit gets stuffed on the return at the 13 and it looks like it will be a long game. Stafford takes the field and hits a 56 yard completion to

Calvin... Smith runs the ball up the middle once or twice, and Stafford eventually gets bored of that before scoring the TD... Schwartz surprises everyone by succesfully faking the field goal, with Hanson passing the ball to Scheffler for the conversion.

8-7 Detroit, 4:06 left in 1Q

As New Orleans gets the ball back, it looks like it will be a quick score again, with Brees taking them down the field to the Detroit 14. He tosses the ball to the end zone, but Adrian Arrington falls down on his route and Chris Houston picks it off, returning it to midfield before Brees tackles him.

8-7 Detroit, 0:34 left in 1Q

Detroit runs the ball up the middle for a gain of 2 to end the quarter

8-7 Detroit after the 1st Quarter

2nd Quarter

Detroit continues to move down the field before being halted on 3rd and Goal from the 8... Hanson kicks it through.

11-7 Detroit, 9:57 left in 2Q

New Orleans gets the ball back and it is clear they are a great team. They start completely embarressing the Lions secondary. Brees throws for 17, 12, 22, and 39 on consecutive plays to get to 1st and Goal. Darren Sproles walks it in for the TD.

14-11 New Orleans, 7:11 left in 2Q

Detroit gets the ball and Stafford sends a message right back to Brees with a 62 yard reception to MegaTron on the 2nd play of the drive to re-take the lead.

18-14 Detroit, 6:24 left in 2Q

Brees gets the ball at the NO 41 and starts working the clock a bit... Payton actually thinks he'll be able to run right by Ndamukong & crew and they are stuffed on 4th and goal from the 1.

18-14 Detroit, 1:41 left in 2Q

Stafford gets to work quickly, and puts the New orleans secondary in shambles. Vilma fakes an injury with 34 seconds left, which will result in a fine later... Hanson kicks a 34 yard field goal through as time expires in the half.

21-14 Detroit, End of 1st half

Detroit gets the ball to start the 2nd half and Logan is stripped. The ball is brought back for a TD New Orleans and all of Detroit wants to cruicify Logan.

21-21 Tie, 14:47 left in 3Q

Detroit gets the ball and Logan makes another mistake, taking the ball out from 8 deep and getting taken down on the 7... Stafford gets the ball and starts leading them down, but is eventually stopped and Detroit is forced to punt.

21-21 tie, 10:22 left in 3Q

Detroit's secondary starts to show up for once and Brees throws 2 incomplete sacks... He tries to throw a 3rd time too and with no one open he is sacked by Suh... Some Saints linemen try picking a fight with him, he does not retaliate, and the NO players are flagged.

21-21 tie, 8:55 left in 3Q

Stafford airs it out again, showing why Detroit is back on the map. He has no trouble giving Detroit the lead again.

28-21 Detroit, 5:31 left in 3Q

The Saints start running the Lions to death, as the D-Line keeps guessing pass on the run... the 3rd quarter ends with New Orleans on the Detroit 2, getting ready to score.

28-21 Detroit, end of 3rd quarter

Drew Brees trys sneaking it up the middle and gets stuffed on 3rd and goal... They go for it on 4th and goal with a play action that every Lion on the field falls for. Jimmy Graham is wide open for the Touchdown.

28-28 Tie, 13:57 left in 4Q

Matt Stafford gets into the zone now, and nails each of his recievers right in the chest... 1st down, 1st down, 1st down... On the first run of the drive, Smith bobbles the hand off, leading to a mad pile up for the ball, which the Saints come up with on the New Orleans 47.

28-28 Tie, 9:15 left in 4Q

Brees makes his job look easy, and six plays later Lions fans are cussing at the TV.

35-28 New Orleans, 6:44 left in 4Q

Stafford and Smith put the game in their hands and start marching down the field as a Lions team that will not yield. At the New Orleans 39, with no timeouts left and the clock rolling down below a minute on a 4th and 6, Stafford chucks it up into the end zone... Johnson goes up, makes the finger tip grab, and half of Detroit blows its lid.

35-35 Tie, 37 seconds left in 4Q

Darren Sproles attempts to stick a dagger in Detroit's heart, bringing the ball all the way to Detroit's 37 (would be a 54 yard field goal). Payton sends Brees out to get a bit better field goal position... Cliff Avril and Nick Fairley combine for the insane sack, taking them to the 45 and out of any reasonable field goal range (would be 62)... Payton allows the clock to expire, taking us to OVERTIME.

35-35, end of regulation

Overtime #1

The Saints win the toss and take the ball to start.

Hanson kicks the ball through the end zone... Brees starts leading them down, but the D holds, thanks in part to another Suh sack, his 4th of the game... John Kasey hits a 53 yard field goal, giving Detroit the ball thanks to the new Playoff Overtime rule.

38-35 New Orleans, end of OT possession #1

Logan returns the ball to the Detriot 35 and Stafford goes into Matty Ice mode with a 30 yard completion to Titus Young... They seem to hit a wall at this point, going to 4th down. With the game on his shoulder, Stafford delivers the ball to Calvin on a silver platter, despite him being triple covered... With the ball on NO 20, Jeff Backus completely misses an assaignment and Stafford gets blindsided, losing the ball... Luckily, Dominic Raiola is right there to fall on it (those that read this all deserved that :D)... Stafford then throws it up to the end zone one last time, and Calvin does his job one more time. TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS!!!

The other half of Detroit explodes and we run all the way to Green Bay.

41-38, Detroit, FINAL

Final Stats

Matthew Stafford: 54/59, 558 yards, 5 TDs, 0 INT

Drew Brees: 41/51, 451 yards, 4 TDs, 1 INT

Calvin Johnson: 15 receptions, 267 yards, 3 TDs

Ndamukong Suh: 4.5 sacks

Edited by mr0zip0

Gameday. No point in trying to predict anything anymore. Time to just hope for the best and enjoy the day.

I'll dedicate my last post (the prediction) to you Shelton. :grin:

Before I gave up as a Lions fan, I made up my own lyrics:

We lose some home games

And on the road we're really lame

Well now the playoffs seem a dream

And if we make it we'll be reamed..ow!..ow!..ow!

More than not we'll fail

And our fans they'll wail

Down the drain we go

The Lions we sure blow

Hopefully this can be retired today.

There was a time when the Tigers had a song that went

Tiger Tiger baseball team, searching for that pennant dream. Tiger Tiger baseball team.....

(and ends with) That's Detroit's baseball team.

I changed it to

Tiger Tiger baseball team, spent the 90s getting creamed.

Tiger Tiger baseball team, getting out of the basement is just a dream.

That's my lousy baseball team.

Only the lyrics a fan can sing about his own team. :classic:

I was at the Dec 4th game and Fairley owned the Saints until he got injured! since Suh was not there, the front four looked bad and could not get to Brees..our secondary was shot too and gave up a couple of long balls..Brees dinks and dunks his way down the field and will go long one out of 10 plays..I think IF we have the bad boy front four as advertised and a running game, we will have a good chance..oh, and none of the crappy penalties that screwed them..GO LIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

90 minutes boys.

I played some beer bong earlier and dominated, I think that means good things to come for the Lions. Pretty sure at least.

DetroitLionsNFL Detroit Lions

S Louis Delmas active for the first time since Thanksgiving; #Lions will field all 22 starters vs. #Saints.

About damn time. So pumped for this game. A little appetizer with the Wings/Leafs first period and then playoffs!

dinner for tonight consists of chilli, cornbread and blue koolaid....that's right cornbread and koolaid!

It's a playoff game and I'm so excited I can't turn my TV off ESPNNEWS re-runs, so I'll go all out in my prediction... This will be a long one...

Lions win the coin toss (tails never fails) and defer to the 2nd half... New Orleans recieves the ball to start.

1st Quarter

New Orleans returns the ball to the NO 37, and Drew Brees marches them down the field for a TD without even breaking a sweat.

7-0 NO, 11:47 left in 1Q

Detroit gets stuffed on the return at the 13 and it looks like it will be a long game. Stafford takes the field and hits a 56 yard completion to

Calvin... Smith runs the ball up the middle once or twice, and Stafford eventually gets bored of that before scoring the TD... Schwartz surprises everyone by succesfully faking the field goal, with Hanson passing the ball to Scheffler for the conversion.

8-7 Detroit, 4:06 left in 1Q

As New Orleans gets the ball back, it looks like it will be a quick score again, with Brees taking them down the field to the Detroit 14. He tosses the ball to the end zone, but Adrian Arrington falls down on his route and Chris Houston picks it off, returning it to midfield before Brees tackles him.

8-7 Detroit, 0:34 left in 1Q

Detroit runs the ball up the middle for a gain of 2 to end the quarter

8-7 Detroit after the 1st Quarter

2nd Quarter

Detroit continues to move down the field before being halted on 3rd and Goal from the 8... Hanson kicks it through.

11-7 Detroit, 9:57 left in 2Q

New Orleans gets the ball back and it is clear they are a great team. They start completely embarressing the Lions secondary. Brees throws for 17, 12, 22, and 39 on consecutive plays to get to 1st and Goal. Darren Sproles walks it in for the TD.

14-11 New Orleans, 7:11 left in 2Q

Detroit gets the ball and Stafford sends a message right back to Brees with a 62 yard reception to MegaTron on the 2nd play of the drive to re-take the lead.

18-14 Detroit, 6:24 left in 2Q

Brees gets the ball at the NO 41 and starts working the clock a bit... Payton actually thinks he'll be able to run right by Ndamukong & crew and they are stuffed on 4th and goal from the 1.

18-14 Detroit, 1:41 left in 2Q

Stafford gets to work quickly, and puts the New orleans secondary in shambles. Vilma fakes an injury with 34 seconds left, which will result in a fine later... Hanson kicks a 34 yard field goal through as time expires in the half.

21-14 Detroit, End of 1st half

Detroit gets the ball to start the 2nd half and Logan is stripped. The ball is brought back for a TD New Orleans and all of Detroit wants to cruicify Logan.

21-21 Tie, 14:47 left in 3Q

Detroit gets the ball and Logan makes another mistake, taking the ball out from 8 deep and getting taken down on the 7... Stafford gets the ball and starts leading them down, but is eventually stopped and Detroit is forced to punt.

21-21 tie, 10:22 left in 3Q

Detroit's secondary starts to show up for once and Brees throws 2 incomplete sacks... He tries to throw a 3rd time too and with no one open he is sacked by Suh... Some Saints linemen try picking a fight with him, he does not retaliate, and the NO players are flagged.

21-21 tie, 8:55 left in 3Q

Stafford airs it out again, showing why Detroit is back on the map. He has no trouble giving Detroit the lead again.

28-21 Detroit, 5:31 left in 3Q

The Saints start running the Lions to death, as the D-Line keeps guessing pass on the run... the 3rd quarter ends with New Orleans on the Detroit 2, getting ready to score.

28-21 Detroit, end of 3rd quarter

Drew Brees trys sneaking it up the middle and gets stuffed on 3rd and goal... They go for it on 4th and goal with a play action that every Lion on the field falls for. Jimmy Graham is wide open for the Touchdown.

28-28 Tie, 13:57 left in 4Q

Matt Stafford gets into the zone now, and nails each of his recievers right in the chest... 1st down, 1st down, 1st down... On the first run of the drive, Smith bobbles the hand off, leading to a mad pile up for the ball, which the Saints come up with on the New Orleans 47.

28-28 Tie, 9:15 left in 4Q

Brees makes his job look easy, and six plays later Lions fans are cussing at the TV.

35-28 New Orleans, 6:44 left in 4Q

Stafford and Smith put the game in their hands and start marching down the field as a Lions team that will not yield. At the New Orleans 39, with no timeouts left and the clock rolling down below a minute on a 4th and 6, Stafford chucks it up into the end zone... Johnson goes up, makes the finger tip grab, and half of Detroit blows its lid.

35-35 Tie, 37 seconds left in 4Q

Darren Sproles attempts to stick a dagger in Detroit's heart, bringing the ball all the way to Detroit's 37 (would be a 54 yard field goal). Payton sends Brees out to get a bit better field goal position... Cliff Avril and Nick Fairley combine for the insane sack, taking them to the 45 and out of any reasonable field goal range (would be 62)... Payton allows the clock to expire, taking us to OVERTIME.

35-35, end of regulation

Overtime #1

The Saints win the toss and take the ball to start.

Hanson kicks the ball through the end zone... Brees starts leading them down, but the D holds, thanks in part to another Suh sack, his 4th of the game... John Kasey hits a 53 yard field goal, giving Detroit the ball thanks to the new Playoff Overtime rule.

38-35 New Orleans, end of OT possession #1

Logan returns the ball to the Detriot 35 and Stafford goes into Matty Ice mode with a 30 yard completion to Titus Young... They seem to hit a wall at this point, going to 4th down. With the game on his shoulder, Stafford delivers the ball to Calvin on a silver platter, despite him being triple covered... With the ball on NO 20, Jeff Backus completely misses an assaignment and Stafford gets blindsided, losing the ball... Luckily, Dominic Raiola is right there to fall on it (those that read this all deserved that :D)... Stafford then throws it up to the end zone one last time, and Calvin does his job one more time. TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS!!!

The other half of Detroit explodes and we run all the way to Green Bay.

41-38, Detroit, FINAL

Final Stats

Matthew Stafford: 54/59, 558 yards, 5 TDs, 0 INT

Drew Brees: 41/51, 451 yards, 4 TDs, 1 INT

Calvin Johnson: 15 receptions, 267 yards, 3 TDs

Ndamukong Suh: 4.5 sacks

ummm....I know you're pumped but....

get_a_life_web.jpg

S Louis Delmas active for the first time since Thanksgiving; #Lions will field all 22 starters vs. #Saints.

About damn time. So pumped for this game. A little appetizer with the Wings/Leafs first period and then playoffs!

s/

**** yeah Leafs/Wings. GO LEAFS GO.

Lions defense will surprise tonight.

Headed to a friends house for this one...

You know it is a big game when even Mr. Zip has a social life!

I wish that included Best to add speed to the backfield.

BIG bottle of Chimay for this one, first playoff game since 99 deserves a great beer!

Ooodles of respect for a person that knows a link so my non-cable having girlfriend can watch the game online..... (she has her kids with her and that is why she is not here in the sports cellar).

Ooodles of respect for a person that knows a link so my non-cable having girlfriend can watch the game online..... (she has her kids with her and that is why she is not here in the sports cellar).

Game's on NBC. Why would you need a link?

Or cable?

Absolutely smashed on Woodfords Reserve bourbon and rum, totally pumped for this, bring it on !!!!!!

LOL.

After the Chimay we move on to Willetts or Wild Turkey101