Sign in to follow this  
bluefan75

Man, I knew Canadian broadcasters had no clue, but....

Being here in Canada, we're unfortunately stuck sometimes with restrictions on what we can watch, and ESPN and FOX Sports etc are considered "dangerous" or something so we can't watch them without going ot some pretty great lengths.

Just watching a TSN promo for the Sugar Bowl(they're carrying the telecast here), and it was "Denard Robinson leads the Michigan Wolverines against perennial power Virginia Tech." Michigan, playing "perennial power Virginia Tech." U of M has more disappointing seasons that are better than Va Tech's best seasons, yet Va Tech is the "perennial power."

I guess when the audience is such that I've given up trying to explain that there is a difference between Michigan and Michigan State, Oregon and Oregon State, etc.("aren't they the same school?"), you can't be too surprised by this crap, but still...

No question, but throw out the little 3 year RR experiment, and you're basically describing Michigan's last half century. Va Tech's a johnnycomelately to that party in comparison. Against several other opponents, it would be an apt description. It's a little dramatic when it's against an opponent who has had 2nd strings that would have pounded their first team most years.

Well they need a way to bill each team... Denard Robinson can carry the Wolverines, you can't say that about a player on Va. Tech.

if you don't like the TSN broadcasts, couldn't you just watch ESPN3? They carry every bowl game that is on ESPN networks (which is like 95% of them)

Michigan only won 10+ games 6 times in 13 years, and only once in the last 4 years of Lloyd Carr. I would say VT has been a better program than Michigan since the turn of the century (2000). Michigan only has won 10+ games 4 times in that span while VT has won 10+ 10 times in that span.

if you don't like the TSN broadcasts, couldn't you just watch ESPN3? They carry every bowl game that is on ESPN networks (which is like 95% of them)

It's not a TSN broadcast as they will be showing ESPN's feed. Also, we cannot get ESPN3 here because you need to be in the US, but the smart ones (me) do the VPN thing to hide the IP.

I guess when the audience is such that I've given up trying to explain that there is a difference between Michigan and Michigan State, Oregon and Oregon State, etc.("aren't they the same school?"), you can't be too surprised by this crap, but still...

But, but "Ohio" and "Ohio St' are the same :silly:

I don't really care that much how a game is billed or the fact that no one on the streets of Canadian cities cares about U.S. college football. What do I care about is access to game broadcasts. The fact that my cable provider, Shaw, in Vancouver picks up ABC Detroit in HD, the Big Ten Network in HD, we get a bunch of Pac 12 games from Seattle ABC, the Notre Dame games, a bunch of SEC games on various CBS affiliates, the Score picks up Saturday night games from the Pac 12, any Thursday night games say from the ACC or Big East are usually picked up by one of the Canadian networks, etc. I don't think we're doing too badly up here, all things considered. There are few big games I can think of this year that we couldn't access, except the odd Saturday night ESPN game that for some reason wasnt' carried by a Canadian station (probably due to a MLR or NHL conflict). And it seems we didn't receive Penn St-Houston today either, but doesn't sound like we missed much there.

Michigan only won 10+ games 6 times in 13 years, and only once in the last 4 years of Lloyd Carr. I would say VT has been a better program than Michigan since the turn of the century (2000). Michigan only has won 10+ games 4 times in that span while VT has won 10+ 10 times in that span.

*cough* strength of schedule *cough* it's gotten a bit better since they moved to the ACC, but really? I've gone back to 2003 so far. If an opponent is ranked in the top 10 they are not very likely to beat them(1 win against #10 Clemson), and the season where they face more than 3 ranked opponents is rare. unless they've caught Miami or FSu early enough in the season when the name still carries the high ranking for them, the conference is bereft of ranked teams. I'll give them credit for scheduling a ranked team OOC, but they could win one of those games once in a while as well.

That's almost as bad as awarding the MNC on the basis of 12-0 as opposed to who did you go 12-0 against? Forgive me for being harsh, but I think in the BT they are only a slightly better looking Purdue under Tiller. Michigan would be in the BCS every other year playing their schedule. While va Tech would have been better than RR's first two teams for certain, can you say they would have been better than Carr's teams playing U of M's schedule?

I don't really care that much how a game is billed or the fact that no one on the streets of Canadian cities cares about U.S. college football. What do I care about is access to game broadcasts. The fact that my cable provider, Shaw, in Vancouver picks up ABC Detroit in HD, the Big Ten Network in HD, we get a bunch of Pac 12 games from Seattle ABC, the Notre Dame games, a bunch of SEC games on various CBS affiliates, the Score picks up Saturday night games from the Pac 12, any Thursday night games say from the ACC or Big East are usually picked up by one of the Canadian networks, etc. I don't think we're doing too badly up here, all things considered. There are few big games I can think of this year that we couldn't access, except the odd Saturday night ESPN game that for some reason wasnt' carried by a Canadian station (probably due to a MLR or NHL conflict). And it seems we didn't receive Penn St-Houston today either, but doesn't sound like we missed much there.

I just have yet to hear a good reason why *any* game broadcast should be out of bounds to us. I have the same setup as you, but if U of M is on ESPN, I'm SOL. And with Disney/ABC trying to move more of their sports properties there....I'm actually hoping a basketball game is not a hot enough matchup to go to ESPN over BTN if it doesn't make CBS' lineup. I think I only saw half the football games because of this.

Whether we did or didn't miss much by not getting the PSU game here is irrelevant. What is the good reason that that feed can't be available for those of us who want it? god knows Jersey Shore is more than available.

I just have yet to hear a good reason why *any* game broadcast should be out of bounds to us. I have the same setup as you, but if U of M is on ESPN, I'm SOL. And with Disney/ABC trying to move more of their sports properties there....I'm actually hoping a basketball game is not a hot enough matchup to go to ESPN over BTN if it doesn't make CBS' lineup. I think I only saw half the football games because of this.

Whether we did or didn't miss much by not getting the PSU game here is irrelevant. What is the good reason that that feed can't be available for those of us who want it? god knows Jersey Shore is more than available.

I do agree. Not allowing ESPN on Canadian cable networks sounds like Communist China. I guess I'm a little spoiled because I still remember the '70s and '80s when no one college football team was allowed to make more than 3 TV appearances I believe (I know, ancient history).

But you wanna know something really outrageous? Not only can we not get FSN-D in Canada, but MLB Extra Innings isn't available in BC, never has been, and doesn't seem like it will be for the foreseeable future. It is impossible for me to watch Tigers games on my TV, as opposed to my PC, except for the odd game that Sportsnet picks up or when they play the M's or Jays.

My family has been with Bell Satellite basically since the beginning - over 10 years now at least. They have never offered "local" programming, for some reason my CBS/FOX/NBC/ABC have always been New York/Seattle, etc. I get an East and West, but no Detroit. Which means, no Wolverines on Saturdays, no Lions on Sundays, and no local news or anything like that.

This is my own fault, we had the chance to switch to Rogers last year but stayed with Bell for a better offer. Rogers does offer those local Detroit feeds, along with the OHL pack. (typing this makes me angry that I don't have it)

Access to online streaming and a VERY Lions heavy schedule on my TV for the first time ever this year has gotten me by, but it could be better.

As for ESPN, meh. It would be nice to get the games that aren't shown here, but as for their day to day programming I can certainly live without it. FSN Detroit is what I really want (Tigers and Red Wings coverage) but it almost makes it better when I get to see them play, makes it more of an event for me I guess.

TSN absolutely sucks at times, the channel gets changed at an amazing speed when the CFL panel comes on. I love the Score, but they aren't without their flaws as well. They push the WWE a little too much at times, and there is other filler that I don't care for. But they are the best option, and it's a shame they keep losing their best employees to higher paying jobs at Sportsnet and TSN. (Adnan Virk at ESPN, Cabbie to TSN, Sid and Tim to Sportsnet, the list is much larger im sure.)

As for the Sugar Bowl, im sure they were just trying to create interest for uneducated Canadian viewers. Puckdrop for Canada Russia is at 9pm tonight, so there will be VERY few people watching the 2nd half anyways.