Deleterious

2012 NBA Draft

When: No clue. End of June sometime. Maybe the 28th?

How the draft lottery works

Some good draft sites. Feel free to add your own.

NBADraft.net

2012 NBA Draft - ESPN

DraftExpress - NBA Draft, NCAA/International Basketball Website.

HoopsHype - NBA Draft 2012

The Pistons have their own 1st and 2nd round picks. They also have Houston's 2nd round pick from the Buddinger trade. It is top 40 protected this year though. So it is possible they don't end up with it this year.

I feel pretty confident we will get a top 5 pick this year. And the lottery would have to screw us to end outside of the top 3. We have no post defense and teams teams are going to score on us at will. We got blown out by Cleveland at home...that is saying something.

Pretty impressed with Anthony Davis today. He missed a lot of the first half with foul trouble. But came back strong to put up 18 points, 10 rebound, 6 blocks and 3 steals. Needs to add some weight but he is really athletic. Perfect PF to put next to Monroe.

I was really impressed with Kidd-Gilchrist too.

One of the advantages of having a terrible roster like the Pistons. You can just take the BPA and not worry so much about position.

One of the advantages of having a terrible roster like the Pistons. You can just take the BPA and not worry so much about position.

Agreed, but I would prefer a big to stick next to Monroe, preferably one that can hide his defense a bit.

Pretty impressed with Anthony Davis today. He missed a lot of the first half with foul trouble. But came back strong to put up 18 points, 10 rebound, 6 blocks and 3 steals. Needs to add some weight but he is really athletic. Perfect PF to put next to Monroe.

I dont agree. The Pistons need to draft a big regardless.

I dont agree. The Pistons need to draft a big regardless.

I disagree. You use the draft to stockpile talent regardless of position. You use trades and free agency to shape and mold your team by targeting individual positions.

Davis was a bust when i saw him in person at Assembly, but Kidd-Gilchrist was really good. Like him a lot. Davis needs to improve consistency, and stay on the floor longer for me to consider drafting him #1 at this point. Huge potential though.

I have this unsettling feeling that we'll end up picking 7th and then take a shooting guard...

Davis was a bust when i saw him in person at Assembly, but Kidd-Gilchrist was really good. Like him a lot. Davis needs to improve consistency, and stay on the floor longer for me to consider drafting him #1 at this point. Huge potential though.

I don't see him as inconsistent at all. His scoring numbers are, but his defense and rebounding seems to be there every night. His inconsistent scoring numbers probably come from the fact he is playing with so much talent around him. They don't need him to score every night.

I have this unsettling feeling that we'll end up picking 7th and then take a combo guard who can't really play either position.

fixed!

Versatility!

Yeah - since the team has holes, we don't want players who are good starters at 1 position, we'd rather have players that are OK off the bench at two positions.

That's the Joe D way!

I do not agree with a big no matter what. If we pick 3rd or 4th and Barnes and Jones are the 2 BPAs, we sure as hell better not pass just because someone else is taller. I'd love to get Drummond or Davis for their defense, but we need talent above all. Its not like we are any better at scoring than post defense.

I do not agree with a big no matter what. If we pick 3rd or 4th and Barnes and Jones are the 2 BPAs, we sure as hell better not pass just because someone else is taller. I'd love to get Drummond or Davis for their defense, but we need talent above all. Its not like we are any better at scoring than post defense.

I agree the Pistons are pretty much in a position where they need to go BPA but what happens if we are picking between say Kidd-Gilchrist and John Henson and we have Gilchrist rated only slightly higher. I would not be opposed to going with Henson in that scenario because wings are easier to come by where as long shot blockers who are also quality players are hard to find. (this is completely hypothetical because I actually like Gilchrist quite a bit better than Henson)

I don't see him as inconsistent at all. His scoring numbers are, but his defense and rebounding seems to be there every night. His inconsistent scoring numbers probably come from the fact he is playing with so much talent around him. They don't need him to score every night.

At this point, I could care less where he is at offensively. Davis is an elite defensive talent and you draft him to be a game changer on the defensive end. Anything he gives you on offense his first 3 years in the NBA is a bonus.

I agree the Pistons are pretty much in a position where they need to go BPA but what happens if we are picking between say Kidd-Gilchrist and John Henson and we have Gilchrist rated only slightly higher. I would not be opposed to going with Henson in that scenario because wings are easier to come by where as long shot blockers who are also quality players are hard to find. (this is completely hypothetical because I actually like Gilchrist quite a bit better than Henson)

I agree with this(though I also like Kidd Gilchrist enough to take him over a Henson type), but that is not the same as big at all costs.

Pistons will be in the lottery, but I too doubt they will be in the top 5, believe it or not there are teams worse off in the NBA then the Pistons. They've got enough vets to keep them in mediocrity for years.

Pistons will be in the lottery, but I too doubt they will be in the top 5, believe it or not there are teams worse off in the NBA then the Pistons. They've got enough vets to keep them in mediocrity for years.

I don't agree here. This team is bad. Currently tied for 2nd worst in the league. This is as good year to bottom out.

I don't think we'll quite get there, but I sure hope we get a top 4 pick. Any of Davis,Drummond,Barnes or Jones would be a franchise changer to some degree IMO. However, worst case we get one of Lamb,Kidd-Gilchrist(great fit),Sullinger or maybe Beal or Henson and that's not terrible either. Nobody wants another guard, but if they are the best player by a good margin, as could be the case with Beal or Lamb, we might have to pull the trigger. It won't be a PG though. An athletic F who can defend like MKC or Henson would be more ideal though.

I don't think we'll quite get there, but I sure hope we get a top 4 pick. Any of Davis,Drummond,Barnes or Jones would be a franchise changer to some degree IMO. However, worst case we get one of Lamb,Kidd-Gilchrist(great fit),Sullinger or maybe Beal or Henson and that's not terrible either. Nobody wants another guard, but if they are the best player by a good margin, as could be the case with Beal or Lamb, we might have to pull the trigger. It won't be a PG though. An athletic F who can defend like MKC or Henson would be more ideal though.

I like Kidd-Gilchrist too. He's not a top 5 guy, I like him though. I really like Thomas Robinson too. Very disappointed in Terrance Jones and Harrison Barnes. I don't see Harrson Barnes having the elite athletiscm to match 1-3rd of the hype he has received. Not at the NBA level. Not sure how to comp him. Maybe a weaker MArvin Williams with better 1-on-1 off the dribble game? I don't know, he's no future star IMO though.

I think BArnes is pretty good. I think his polish,IQ and work ethic will make up for some of the athleticism he lacks. He's not Blake Griffin, but he's not a scrub in that department either. He really has his 3 ball working this year, he has nice length and commitment on the defensive end and he can get to his spots and get shots off on offense, and make them of course. I'd be thrilled to get him here personally if we got the 3 or 4 pick.