Sign in to follow this  
Yoda

Fun project I'd like to try (classic game threads)...

Without a doubt, the game threads here are a lot of fun, and I often wonder what it'd be like to go back and read game threads from some of the Tigers most memorable games. Well why not re-create them?

For instance, the last game of '87 versus the Blue Jays. For whoever wants to participate, there are places online where we can buy the DVD for like 10 bucks, but we'd have to make sure we all get it from the same place. That way we all start it at the same time and everyone's in sync. We can start a thread for it the day before where everyone can make their predictions and so forth, and obviously post throughout the game, as if it were happening live.

I really think it'd be a lot of fun, if enough people would be interested in this sort of thing. Seems like Jan-Mar would be a good time to try one out! If it goes as well as I think it could, we could do a bunch of others.

It would be good even if not everyone had the DVD. The rest of us could whine about the score not being posted often enough, and we'd be saying "what happened?" every time someone posted "aw crap" or "yes!!". If it was the NBC or CTV broadcast you might get Kubek in the booth, worth the $10 all by himself.

Haven't we done a fictitious game before during a rain our ot something similar? Was a lot of fun even if in fantasy.

Titus Tiger and I had to handle a real Game Thread by ourselves because nobody else was around. We made up responses "in persona" of other posters, which was a lot of fun.

Anyway, regarding Yoda's idea, I like it. Lemme know when this will happen and I'll see if I can join in. Best if it happens on a Sunday winter evening.

Wow......I just had visions of Star Trek convention pop thru my head. My goodness.....why would I want to fantasy post about a 24-year old ballgame that I already know the outcome to?

Just kidding......kind of.

Wow......I just had visions of Star Trek convention pop thru my head. My goodness.....why would I want to fantasy post about a 24-year old ballgame that I already know the outcome to?

Just kidding......kind of.

What if we didn't know the outcome? Is it possible to digitize a game off a cassette? If someone has a game taped and someone else could digitize it, we could all listen at the same time. That would be so cool. Dave and Rob have recorded games, I believe. MCS might know how to do this. He knows all about recording stuff, I am sure.

It could be a nondescript radio broadcast that none of us knew the outcome to and it could be posted somewhere and we could all log on and listen at the same time.

I tried something somewhat similar to this once or twice. I'd listen to one of my games and then post about it as I listened. I think I'd get to about three posts and then lose interest.

This would be a team thing. If I'm around there's a good chance I'd do it. I wouldn't base it on me being there one way or the other though. If I can do it, great. If I can't, or make it here late, then it won't impact anyone.

68 would be fun, the few of us STL guys could come on here and talk about getting crap thrown at us by our wife's for saying stuff like Shannon's a drunk, and Brock sucks.. :)

Come to think of it, at somepoint that 68' game 7 is probalby going to be on MLB net this winter, it has the past couple of years. Gosh they showed the whole series, last year, or the year before?

Come to think of it, at somepoint that 68' game 7 is probalby going to be on MLB net this winter, it has the past couple of years. Gosh they showed the whole series, last year, or the year before?

Yep. Got em all on DVR. Also purchased all 7 on DVD. eBay. You bet. :classic:

They are the full broadcast so they even include the commercials. Commercial breaks last an eternity now....not so back then.

Edited by Freehan_1968

68 would be fun, the few of us STL guys could come on here and talk about getting crap thrown at us by our wife's for saying stuff like Shannon's a drunk, and Brock sucks.. :)

How about "STFU McCarver!!"

Titus Tiger and I had to handle a real Game Thread by ourselves because nobody else was around. We made up responses "in persona" of other posters, which was a lot of fun.

Anyway, regarding Yoda's idea, I like it. Lemme know when this will happen and I'll see if I can join in. Best if it happens on a Sunday winter evening.

you wouldn't suppose to tell anyone that.

what about looking to see if there is a free game somewhere, I know either on the Tigers site or the MLB there was a free '68 world series game (radio)

What if we didn't know the outcome? Is it possible to digitize a game off a cassette? If someone has a game taped and someone else could digitize it, we could all listen at the same time. That would be so cool. Dave and Rob have recorded games, I believe. MCS might know how to do this. He knows all about recording stuff, I am sure.

It could be a nondescript radio broadcast that none of us knew the outcome to and it could be posted somewhere and we could all log on and listen at the same time.

You know someone would look it up on Baseball Reference or something and either take bets on how many time Inge would K or make predictions then say they are the new "Tim Mitchell"

Predictable jokes:

"Is GameDay frozen for you too?"

"Look at the rack of the woman behind the dugout."

"This team is gritty, they are ALL wearing stirrups"

"Lloyd would have sent him"

"What are you talking about 'craft beer' you can only drink PBR"