Sign in to follow this  
SpartanValor

Outback Bowl: MSU v. Georgia

Got to salute any Big Ten team that goes into the heart of the SEC country and whips an SEC team...although Tampa is on the 1-75 corridor so its got its share of snowbirds. Props! It was almost as satisfying as Appomattox Courthouse. Which will occur tomorrow night although not against an SEC team but still VT is part of the Confederacy.

I wouldn't want to turn college football into a new civil war if I were you, because if you did, the outcome would have been a hell of a lot different.

Eh, beating Georgia in Florida is more impressive than a BCS bowl win over West Virginia, Virginia Tech and/or Clemson IMO. The BCS games outside the national title are...as the BCS even admits...not necessarily the best teams in the country. I know perception is a BCS game is big...and I guess I want one...but I'm happy with this Georgia win.

Just because UGA was in the SEC doesnt make them any better than their ranking shows. VT and Clemson are both rated higher and for a reason. UGA was an overrated team as it is, look at their schedule, they didn't really beat anyone other than Auburn who was barely a top 25 team. They didnt have to play LSU, Alabama, or Arkansas in conference (until LSU in the title game). The SEC east stunk this year. And a BCS game means a hell of a lot if you ask me and State fans agree, there is a reason State fans were so pissed off they didnt make it and Michigan did, if this game was similar why would they have even cared?

I am not trying to discredit MSU win by any means. It was a good win against a pretty good team. Getting a bowl win gets one of the monkeys off of msu's back. The next one is making a BCS game (or winning the Big Ten outright).

Edited by Johnny Mac

Yeah, I thought of BWs... I just meant not a bunch of other games/things going on at the same time. But I guess the Outback will get 95% of the interest in EL.

I haven't been there in probably 10 years... It's a good place, though?

I ended up going there at halftime. So yes, you can totally blame the first half on me. But the atmosphere was great! I got the only available table, and it was fun to watch/feel the mood turn around.

My only complaint is that they turned the TV I was watching off at the end of the game before I was ready to leave... they probably lost a few bucks making me leave before I was otherwise going to.

Good effort by MSU but...same old Sparty

If MSU wants respect, they need to win these type of games

Now do they get respect? In your eyes, I'm guessing no.

Congrats to the Spartans on such a terrific and thrilling victory! My Kellen Moore-less (and 20 or so seniors-less Broncos) look forward to playing the Spartans next season. QB up for grabs for BSU, which may put true freshman Nick Patti from Orlando at the helm in his first college game. He's a lot more physical than Moore, and even ran for 60 yards per game. His arm and legs could create a really thrilling change in the way Boise State runs their offense. I hope he's ready for the show. Cheers!

Congrats to the Spartans on such a terrific and thrilling victory! My Kellen Moore-less (and 20 or so seniors-less Broncos) look forward to playing the Spartans next season. QB up for grabs for BSU, which may put true freshman Nick Patti from Orlando at the helm in his first college game. He's a lot more physical than Moore, and even ran for 60 yards per game. His arm and legs could create a really thrilling change in the way Boise State runs their offense. I hope he's ready for the show. Cheers!

Thanks! I'm really excited for that game as well...a Friday night game to start the whole season.

I wouldn't want to turn college football into a new civil war if I were you, because if you did, the outcome would have been a hell of a lot different.

Im sure Oregon won the Civil War this year. :)

Nah, the SEC is just missing the competition from a strong Michigan program. There is no magic reason the SEC is doing better lately.

Edited by ROMAD1

Did you guys catch the sideline shot with audio, when Maxwell was explaining to the 5th year senior what Georgia was doing on defense? I already believe Maxwell is the more talented player (and was obviously far more respected out of high school, and was an elite 11 QB), but if he has the football IQ to go along with that...Really makes me think we might get an upgrade at the QB position as soon as next year.

Not to minimize the value in losing the factor of experience, but Maxwell will also be a RS Junior. I'm really excited for the future. I still think 2013 will be our year (for NC/Rose Bowl, our schedule is cake), but I think next year will be awesome as well, especially with OSU, Iowa, Nebraska, and ND at home rather than on the road. My only question mark is the WR core, but I think thats easier to build on offense than RB or OL (which should be much improved with the return of Burkland and Treadwell, at the very least). Might also get guys like Nate Klatt on the OL.

This year, MSU won at OSU, at Iowa, vs Wisconsin, vs Michigan, vs Georgia, and has won 22 games the past two years (and more big ten games than anyone else in the conference). JLS couldn't even get us bowl eligible! And our defense isn't even in the same zipcode as the defense we put on the field 4 or 5 years ago. And all we likely lose is Jerel Worthy? Wow. And the strides Gholston has made the past year and a half...if I had to keep one of Worthy vs Gholston, it would be a close decision. And Gholston is a true Sophomore vs a RS Junior in Worthy. Our D is so young, and so good...we're not going to lose many games with that core of players.

Can't wait for spring practice!

Did you guys catch the sideline shot with audio, when Maxwell was explaining to the 5th year senior what Georgia was doing on defense? I already believe Maxwell is the more talented player (and was obviously far more respected out of high school, and was an elite 11 QB), but if he has the football IQ to go along with that...Really makes me think we might get an upgrade at the QB position as soon as next year.

That's an observation that I was unable to make at the time because I was too busy screaming at the TV because the network was broadcasting private coaching sessions on the sidelines. They did it earlier too when Cousins was talking to Cunningham after we finally broke through with a TD. He was describing how he was reading the defense and how they could exploit it on future drives.

It may be unlikely, but someone in the Georgia clubhouse could have easily communicated to their sideline what MSU saw as a weakness in their defense. I've never seen anything like that. That seemed crazy to me!

I thought this was great on ESPN today...this decision by Coach D was really overlooked...

Best clock management: Michigan State trailed Georgia 27-20 late in the fourth quarter of the Outback Bowl when the Spartans were called for pass interference on third-and-3 from the Bulldogs' 37. The officials ruled that Georgia had completed the pass on the play even though receiver Malcolm Mitchell clearly dropped the ball. Dantonio challenged the ruling, despite the fact that Georgia was going to get a first down either way. Dantonio's successful challenge meant that instead of the clock running down toward three minutes, the clock was stopped and reset to 3:43. That extra time proved enormous, as the Spartans tied the game with 14 seconds left in regulation.

...and I can't help but chuckle to what was right below that...

Worst clock management: Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema was unsure if he could challenge the ruling when Oregon's De'Anthony Thomas hesitated and nearly left the end zone before kneeling down for kick-return touchback. As Bielema asked the sideline official for a clarification, he was charged with a timeout. That was the second timeout burned by the Badgers early in the second half. They dearly could have used the stoppages when the offense ended the game at the Oregon 25-yard line. Russell Wilson hurried to the line and was instructed to spike the ball with two seconds left, but officials ruled there was no time left.

Best and worst from Big Ten bowl season - Big Ten Blog - ESPN

Thought this was worth posting. From Keith Nichol, via Rexrode:

This was big for MSU, big for the Big Ten -- but as I said a few days ago, this was more about MSU's seniors than anything. And I think Keith Nichol, who had a big final day as a Spartan, may have summed up best what it meant to win and to get that touchdown pass from Kirk Cousins at a critical moment.

"“I hugged him at the end of the game, I said it’s just been a blessing to go along on this ride with him, to have someone like that on my side, in my corner," Nichol said of Cousins. "I couldn’t ask to be with a better person through a journey like that. And to connect like that … it was a big moment for the team...

“It’s something as a man, to go through something for four or five years and say you competed in college football and you made it through the grind of early-morning conditioning, workouts, whatever it is, walking off the field and knowing you gave everything you had – that’s the best feeling I’ve ever had. I mean, that was better than the Hail Mary catch for me. This is a game I will remember. I’ll see that Hail Mary catch for a long time, but I won’t remember that like I remember this right here. Hugging B.J. and Kirk, Foreman, Keshawn. I mean, that’s what makes college football so great. The relationships you have with those kind of guys.”

Didn't want to hijack a thread unless necessary.... also didn't want to step on anyone's toes.

Who's making the threads this year? Mine would be pretty terrible and basic. Man am I excited.

I re-watched this game last night. What a comeback... down 16-0 in the 3rd... the int's by our D. The poise by cousins in the 2 minute drill. The focus of our team. It was exhilarating all over again.