Time: 1:00pm EST

Line: Georgia -3.5

Television Broadcast Provided by:

ABC

Radio Broadcast Provided by:

www.spartansportsnetwork.com

Michigan-State-Pro-Combat-Uniforms-7.jpg

Edited by SpartanValor

1). When is the last time we have been favored in a game against a team with a winning record? Honest question.

2). I hope the players can get up for this game, because I sure as hell can't.

3). Even so, who cares? Its an exhibition game. And the fact that we'll see Andrew Maxwell only hammers home that point. Watching Maxwell will be my one takeaway from this game.

4). A completely pointless game...that gets made meaningful by the [insert adjective] media, BCS, and NCAA. Because if we lose, we're not going to like what we have to hear.

5). I was once in undergrad, and we only made one bowl game out of four years. And it was in Texas. In December. Perspective.

6). And yet, I've never felt more defeated. Mainly by "the system", because I am proud of this team, the seniors, and how far they've come. Its been an exercise trying to avoid any and all college football in the media the past week and a half!

7). I have to work Jan 2nd. Because its a Monday after a holiday. F the NCAA.

8). Go State. Please win. Because we know how important that August 1st Coaches Poll will be.

Edited by SpartanValor

I work for a small non-profit in Detroit and my office can thank me for having Monday, January 2nd off.

A month back or so it hit me that the "New Year's" games would be on the second...a Monday in which we were scheduled to work. I mentioned it to my boss - also a huge college football fan - and he was concerned. He looks into it, thinks we should be closed, gets approval from CEO...and boom...I can watch football with no vacation day! :classic:

Anywho, yeah - this game doesn't matter, but I'm still pretty pumped to a) gain well-earned respect with a win and b) send our seniors out with a W.

This is one of the best bowl games. It's certainly better that the god damn sugar bowl.

I don't quite understand the sentiment that the game doesn't matter. Where SI you draw the line where the games matter or not? Does a game cease to matter as soon as a trophy is out of reach? I think bowl games are fun, and I want to win them as much as any other game.

If a championship isnt on the line, then its just an exhibition. Dont get me wrong, id rather travel to certain destinations than others, but the game itself means nothing. It means far less than a game against the hoosiers, for instance.

So the notre dame game is an exhibition? Come on, man, it's a big ten sec matchup on new years day (observed). How can you not care?

So the notre dame game is an exhibition? Come on, man, it's a big ten sec matchup on new years day (observed). How can you not care?

Notre Dame game technically has implications...could impact national championship and bowl game standings...

Trust me, I care - but it's not anything like a Big Ten game where a win gets you closer to the BT title game. A bowl game win looks and feels nice, but doesn't really lead to anything.

Bowl qualification matters, but bowl games themselves don't?

I was just saying that while I don't really care about bowl game wins/losses outside the MNCG, a lot of people get all worked up about what bowl game you go to - whether or not you win - and would find a regular season game to be important in that seeding.

I also definitely care about getting to the Rose Bowl and would hope we'd put up a good showing, but if we lost it'd be better than losing in the BTCG.

I'm not completely dumping on bowl games, I just don't find them to be particularly meaningful. A lot of it is what team actually cares more in an exhibition game.

A couple minutes into the second quarter of the Alabama bowl debacle last year I shut it off and basically went on and enjoyed my game. Bummed? Sure...but not nearly as much as if it were a big game in October/November.

Edited by monkeynuts

So Maxwell will get playing time in this game?

As for the game itself I'm always excited to watch State play cause I know this is are last game for 9 months. And its the last game for so many great players that I will miss very much. As for the end result I think we will roll them. The only good teams they played all year they lost to so I expect the same.

Bowl qualification matters, but bowl games themselves don't?

The reason beating Indiana is important is not related to bowl qualification, but for conference championship implications.

Outside of the national championship game, bowl games matter only to the extent of bowl prestige/where I want to vacation. People don't mention the last time they won the rose bowl, they talk about the last time they went to the rose bowl. Getting to the rose bowl means you won your conference. Winning the rose bowl means...well, I guess you had a slightly more enjoyable trip?

There are no on the field benefits of winning a bowl game, outside of the natioanl championship. MSU won't even get a pre-season ranking boost if we win this game, because we lose so much on offense, we'll be perceived as "re-building". I just can't see how winning this game means anything- on the field.

Off the field, of course it might make us feel a little bit better about the season. But thats it.

Can somebody please tell me why the HELL Directv doesn't have HD locals in Lansing MI!?!?! If I am forced to watch this game in SD, I am going to be one pissed off Spartan!!!

A few things...

Going into this season, one goal I had for this team was to FINALLY win a Bowl Game. As far as I am concerned, this is our biggest game of the year... leads into our next seasons success.

Glad I am not seeing the "practice is valuable" and "getting ready for next season" articles like the last few years. I think it really shows where our program has grown and a lot of our recruits are already there, with a lot of young players making an impact.

Johnny Adams asked NFL for draft update. Can't imagine him leaving or getting a very high look. Maybe late late rounder. Needs next year to dominate.

I really hope Jerel Worthy ends up coming back. Just imagine the prospects of our defense with him returning... not holding my breath, but it would be a really nice post-xmas gift.

Anyone have any suggestions about where to watch the game in the Lansing area? My inlaws don't have the game in HD, and my other plans fell through. I need a big screen and an environment without distractions!

Feeling confident going in to this one. Hope we get the win, and send out this class as winners (and over the SEC, no less).

I hate Jim Delaney, and on a directly related note, the FOUR big ten games on at the exact same time today. I hope Ohio State gets lit up, but Florida is awful.

I'll be forced to watch the rose bowl, because of the company I keep, but I hope Bielema stubs every damn last toe on his body. Over/under 50 for the Ducks?

What do you mean by no distractions? BW3's in EL might be a good option. The Spartan HOF place by the Eastwood Townecenter is probably a possibility. There is a Champs out there too.

That pizza place in the Hannah Center (I think thats what those shops are called, on Hagadorn by Hubbard) is a surprisingly good place to catch a game. They totally re-did that place, and expanded, turned out to be a nice place to go after the Wisconsin game in 2010.

Yeah, I thought of BWs... I just meant not a bunch of other games/things going on at the same time. But I guess the Outback will get 95% of the interest in EL.

I haven't been there in probably 10 years... It's a good place, though?

What do you mean by no distractions? BW3's in EL might be a good option. The Spartan HOF place by the Eastwood Townecenter is probably a possibility. There is a Champs out there too.

Random question pertaining to nothing of importance:

Why is it abbreviated BW3? Shouldn't it be BW2?

Random question pertaining to nothing of importance:

Why is it abbreviated BW3? Shouldn't it be BW2?

Buffalo Wild Wings®

Their FAQ says the original name was Buffalo Wild Wings & Weck. Click the "Company information" link to read it.

I watched the MSU/Gonzaga bball game up at Woody's Oasis on Grand River a few weeks back. That place is great for no distractions since nobody in there generally cares about sports...but they have a few TVs so you can watch in general peace and quiet. :classic: