chasfh

Comerica Park Renovations?

I just got a tweet from the official Tigers account saying:

BREAKING: Tigerfest has been postponed to 2013 because of renovations to Comerica Park. Full Story: http://t.co/Ynqk3vve

But when you click a link, you get some MLB page with some sort of error message.

Does anyone here know the nature of the renovations? I hope a much better scoreboard is part of it.

Delete the beta part

From the article

While Tigers fans can look forward to an improved ballpark atmosphere next season, including upgrades to the enormous left-field scoreboard, the work required to get it done is going to take some patience through the long Michigan winter.
The upgrades to Comerica Park are among the biggest since it opened in 2000. The Tigers opened a new retail store called "The D Shop" last spring, and retail sales jumped 26 percent over the previous year. The success earned the team recognition as MLB's Club Retailer of the Year.

Details on the scoreboard upgrades are expected to be announced soon. The scoreboard is largely the same as when the ballpark opened, and has shown its age at times over the last few years.

At the same time, new scoreboards, including huge video boards and improved graphics, have had major effects on ballparks around the Majors. A giant video board and LED scoreboard was one of the highlights of a massive renovation of Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City before the 2009 season, and helped modernize one of baseball's older ballparks. The Phillies updated their scoreboard last offseason with an HD board that stands as the National League's largest.

Working on as large of a scoreboard as Comerica Park -- still one of the biggest in the big leagues -- takes up space and time around the ballpark for new parts and the equipment to install them. That's where the Tigers, who have held a fanfest event for about the last 15 years, encountered challenges, then concerns.

I've sat in section 345 once. If you ever wondered why the left side of the scoreboard's quality was worse than that on the right, it's because it had 3 different colored light bulbs all over it. If we see efficiencies at home with energy saving light bulbs and LED's, it would only make sense to remove it for a higher quality, more energy efficient board.

Imagine having all of that power on for 81 times a year for over 4 hours. The operating cost alone has to add up.

I have been complaining about the scoreboard for years. So this is good news assuming its a hd screen. I realize I am not at the game for the scoreboard but its just sad comparing it to the scoreboard at progressive field and many others in the majors.

I have a really good source that tells me they are changing the dimensions of the outfield as well and they are naming the left field power alley Aramis' Alley. Wonder what that means.

I have a really good source that tells me they are changing the dimensions of the outfield as well and they are naming the left field power alley Aramis' Alley. Wonder what that means.

Aramis already signed with another team...

For the love of god...move TigerFest back to the JOE!

Just dress appropriate. Your outside in January, come prepared. I love getting back into Comerica as the ball fever begins to itch more.

Just dress appropriate. Your outside in January, come prepared. I love getting back into Comerica as the ball fever begins to itch more.

I don't think his comment had anything to do with the weather. They cancelled TF because of renovations to Comerica. Hence, move it to the Joe.

they have always had a problem for fans in left field with the sun between 7-8pm ish. Not sure how they fix that...a giant retractable screen up over the 1b side of the stadium?

Funny how the story says:

Working on as large of a scoreboard as Comerica Park -- still one of the biggest in the big leagues -- takes up space and time around the ballpark for new parts and the equipment to install them.

They have to be referring to total structure size, because as far as I can tell, it's mostly advertising and green space. It looks to me like less than a quarter of it is dedicated to video and scorekeeping -- and even those parts are frequently used for advertising:

1024px-Comerica_Park_scoreboard.jpg

So from that standpoint, Comerica has what I think is the most disappointing scoreboard in the majors.

Now, if you want to do it right -- I mean really right -- use Miller Park as your model:

miller-park.gif

Very cool... It's gotta be an HD board. That'll be nice.

It better be an HD board. We went to Baltimore and Rogers Centre this summer, both parks opened at least 9 years before Comerica, and they have HD boards. Baltimore had to retrofit their existing board and they did a nice job.

Here's a really radical idea: tear down the board in left field and build a new one in center field, above the fountain. That way, everybody in the park has a good angle to view it. Who needs to stare at the DAC, anyway?

They can't move it to the Joe because the Wings are playing on th 14th and 21st. I'm guessing the 28th is too late because of the caravan and spring training?

I agree with Chas, that scoreboard may be large in its totality, but for all of its girth, it is rather unimpressive with its "scoreboard" offerings outside of advertising. (I guess it's true, it isn't the size that counts.....:silly:)

I assume that the statues would likely be moved if there is heavy work being done around that area. If in fact they are moved, I wonder if they replace them in such a way to allow room necessary for the long overdue Whitaker/Trammell combo statue?

I never really noticed how bad that thing sucks until just now. I had a friend who worked on the construction and he told me that they screwed up in the placement...I think it became common knowledge...I always thought it looked too far in the left field area.

I would not mind them moving it, but I am not sure if it is logistically possible..you would need 4 new footings...BIG footings.

A new HD screen that is a little larger would be nice.

Nice to see Illitch opening the wallet and spending some of that extra cash he got from the playoffs....it is really nice to live in a town where the owner appreciates the fans and spends that money....it could be sooo much worse...owner wise I mean.

You'd really only need two new footings. One right where the Dunhams and Pepsi signs meet in that pic above, and one to the right of the existing scoreboard. Move the whole thing over from there. They could either remove the two left most footings completely, or put another giant billboard up there.

Moving it this far right would also hide that hideous parking garage next to the DAC.

I think they should just reduce the size of it. It's obnoxious looking. They really hyped it up as the "Largest scoreboard" but big deal.

I've always wanted them to make the back wall of the bullpen (the old home run fence) a little nicer (stone, brick, something) so it doesn't look so obvious that the bullpen was not originally there. I know, I am nitpicking incredibly hard, but that's always stuck out to me.

Man am I glad that they are changing it. When I went to my first game at Copa I didn't really think anything of it. But two years ago when I saw them in Baltimore and then followed them home and went to some games at Copa I realized how horrible the scoreboard was. Honestly it's like a glorified Minor league scoreboard right now.

Never been to Comerica Park. I live in Australia.

What I would like to know is that when they built the stadium, did they make provision for future upgrades in seating? I know that Tiger Stadium had a lot more seats than Comerica. It is nice to see the city over the outfield perimeter, but could they build more bleachers and still keep some of the view of Detroit?