KleShreen

Red Wings to host Winter Classic in 2013/14?

I think there'll be bigger demand for the Alumni game than the WC itself. I agree that 100,000 will be tough to fill if they are pricing them high. If most tickets are near $100 even, they won't do it. If they price enough at $30 they will. Don't worry about the gate.

I don't trust the NHL office to do anything right. I first thought they'd price tickets in the $40-50 range, but I really think they're going to price them at $100+. The Big Chill tickets were $25.

With the stadium being much bigger than any other place the game has been, the NHL has to be smart about this. Seats at the top can't be going for 100+ as it wouldn't be condusive to the overall area and the fans that want to go. And if not, then I guess I will open the wallet up because high price or not, I will attend this game.

With the stadium being much bigger than any other place the game has been, the NHL has to be smart about this. Seats at the top can't be going for 100+ as it wouldn't be condusive to the overall area and the fans that want to go. And if not, then I guess I will open the wallet up because high price or not, I will attend this game.

And that's why they'll have no problem selling the tickets because enough fans think the same way you do. I mean they can't give away the College Hockey tickets at the Joe and the managed to get 100,000 people for the Big Chill. Not to mention, enough Maple Leaf fans with deep pockets will eat up what the Detroit fans won't. Plus the Red Wings have a huge fan base nationwide. I don't think they will have any problem selling 100k tickets at $100 or more.

Ticket prices announced today. They'll range from $89 to $279 with most prices at $129 and $149. No word on when they might be available to the general public. Wings full and half season holders get first dibs.

Ticket prices announced today. They'll range from $89 to $279 with most prices at $129 and $149. No word on when they might be available to the general public. Wings full and half season holders get first dibs.

Now, according to this posting on KuklasKorner (KuklasKorner : The Malik Report : WiiM offers some preliminary Winter Classic ticket-pricing info?), there will be no public sales for the Winter Classic. However, I don't know how true this is or if it's just the Griffins trying to boost season-ticket sales.

Update: Well this is incredibly discouraging. According to an email Josh Howard received from the Grand Rapids Griffins, there will be no public sale of Winter Classic tickets:

As we enter our beautiful summer months, we are looking forward to our 17th Season this year. We have some exciting events coming up this year including the Winter Classic Game between the Detroit Red Wings and the Toronto Maple Leafs. There will be no public sale for this event and the Griffins are one of the only places you can purchase tickets to this historic event. Tickets will be made available to many of our ticket plan holders.

I can't see how there won't be any available to the public. My friend who has had Wings tickets since the sixties says he was told he could only buy the same number of tickets to the WC as he has for his seasons. For both teams that would total about 40k. I don't think the league and the sponsors will get the other 75k.

Fingers crossed that I have tickets. My STH friend called an hour ago and said they can buy seats starting tonight. He can buy 2 WC tickets for every season ticket. The $89 seats are on the field (no risers) and the best $129 seats were corners rows 80-90. We opted for the $149 sears which are corner in row 31. We figured if we're paying $129 what's another $20 for better seats. The ticketing was done through Ticketmaster to where you're stuck with their "best available." The package also requires you to buy GLI tickets at $18.

As long as he intended to buy the two extras for me and my wife we're in. If its only for me we'll pass and pick up some on StubHub.

Winter Classic to include two alumni games

DETROIT -- Next season's Winter Classic between the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs will include two alumni games and around 100 players from the storied franchises.

"You've got two teams that have been in the league forever," said Wendel Clark, who is among the former players lined up to represent the Maple Leafs. "It's a great idea to have the second one to open up the option to have more guys to be a part of it."

Representatives from both teams announced preliminary rosters at a news conference Wednesday at Comerica Park, where the alumni games are scheduled to take place Dec. 31. The 2012-13 editions of the Red Wings and Maple Leafs will play the Winter Classic on Jan. 1 at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor.

Gordie Howe, Ted Lindsay, Chris Chelios and Larry Murphy are expected to appear for the Red Wings at the alumni games, along with Mickey Redmond, John Ogrodnick, Luc Robitaille, Dino Ciccarelli, Mark Howe, Chris Osgood, Mike Vernon and Alex Delvecchio.

Red Wings general manager Ken Holland also said four members of Detroit's "Grind Line" -- Kris Draper, Kirk Maltby, Darren McCarty and Joe Kocur -- are expected.

"Four guys on one line," Holland said.

Clark was ready with a retort.

"It felt like that some nights," he said.

Clark, Darryl Sittler and Doug Gilmour are expected to represent the Maple Leafs, along with Rick Vaive, Darcy Tucker, Felix Potvin, Mike Palmateer, Kevin Maguire, Dave Andreychuk, Curtis Joseph, Johnny Bower, Ron Ellis and Jim McKenny.

More players will need to be added, obviously, and Holland said he'd certainly reach out to former Detroit stars like Steve Yzerman, Sergei Fedorov and Nicklas Lidstrom.

"Obviously we're going to ask all them," Holland said. "Some people we've asked. They're interested. They want to make sure they can clear their schedule."

Holland also held court for a bit on his team's off-season, which is off to a tough start after Lidstrom's retirement and the decisions by free agent targets Zach Parise and Ryan Suter to sign with Minnesota instead of coming to Detroit. Holland didn't want to give any names of other options, but he did field a question about Phoenix's Shane Doan.

"I think Shane Doan obviously has to make a decision if he wants to play with Phoenix," Holland said. "The media likes to create a lot of stories. At the end of the day, players have got to make personal decisions that fit their wants and needs. If and when he decides he wants to leave Phoenix, obviously I think he'd be a player that all 30 teams in the league would love to have."

I always thought it was silly that people thought Lidstrom would come back because he "looked excited" to play this one game.

Wow the Wings Alumni team looks more like a HOF game. Lidstrom, Federov, Gordie, Chelios... The list is incredible.

I can buy up to four Winter Classic tickets today through the Wings. I already have tickets and wanted to offer fellow Motowners a chance to buy them through me. I looked earlier and the only seats available were in the corners near the top. You have to buy a ticket to the first day of the GLI also. The approximate cost for one package is $160 with the fees, $129 for the WC, $18 for the GLI plus approximately $6.25 in fees. For an additional $10-$20 the GLI tickets can be upgraded to better seats.

If anybody is interested just PM me and we can work out details.

Edited by dadair6

I'm out. Gone. Done. El Fin.

Three work stoppages in 18 years and all under the watch of Bettman. I won't watch another NHL game as long as he is in charge.

Depicable human beings.

I have heard it said that if you walked into Gary Bettman's office and toss him a hockey puck, he will spend the better part of a day trying to open it.

At this point I'm not sure I will ever be back. As much as we'd like to be part of the Winter Classic next year, which it sounds like it will be rescheduled, I don't know if I can give the league another penny. Just plain ridiculous.

I hope everyone gets a refund for their tickets instead of keeping them in hopes they play in 2014. The NHL is a joke. I'm glad I didn't get tickets and make plans to fly out for this like I wanted to originally. I would have been even angrier.

I hope everyone gets a refund for their tickets instead of keeping them in hopes they play in 2014. The NHL is a joke. I'm glad I didn't get tickets and make plans to fly out for this like I wanted to originally. I would have been even angrier.

I bought my tickets through a friend who is a season ticket holder. The league will dictate what's going on with the money as the game is their event. It wasn't included in the Wings ticket packages this year. If they don't refund the money, I'm guessing there will be some type of legal action somewhere.