KleShreen

Red Wings to host Winter Classic in 2013/14?

I have a bad feeling that the "Hockeytown" brand/trademark will take a beating on this.

Anybody happen to know how far in advance tickets go on sale for the Winter Classic?

Anybody happen to know how far in advance tickets go on sale for the Winter Classic?

Nothing has been announced relating to tickets, but I would imagine late summer for general public. The Wings season ticket holders will get first dibs locally since the game isn't going to be part of their package next year. From reading about this past year's prices, people are going to surprised/pissed when ticket info is published. The median ticket to last year's game was $200 and you also had to buy the supporting games tickets. The total cost for those seats were about $330 with the fees.

Now, it's going to be tough to package the Winter Classic with the support games because they're using different sized venues, but I'm sure they'll do something. The more I think about it, if my season ticket friend can't get us tickets we'll probably just go the StubHub route. We thought of getting a season ticket package next year, but figured the seats would suck at JLA so we're just going to take that money and get tickets on the secondary market if needed.

I may be in the minority, but I don't think there are any seats that "suck" at JLA.

If you're up high in the corners there are some bad seats. I also should have mentioned my seats we buy from a STH are center ice last row of the upper level. I love those seats.

We got tickets for the game in Chicago quite easily on Ebay so with even more being available, it shouldn't be overly difficult to get tickets to this. With their being two rinks, I doubt they can package tickets together and force people to buy them because of the distance between the rinks. If you want to go, you will be fine with finding seats online somewhere.

Nothing has been announced relating to tickets, but I would imagine late summer for general public. The Wings season ticket holders will get first dibs locally since the game isn't going to be part of their package next year. From reading about this past year's prices, people are going to surprised/pissed when ticket info is published. The median ticket to last year's game was $200 and you also had to buy the supporting games tickets. The total cost for those seats were about $330 with the fees.

Now, it's going to be tough to package the Winter Classic with the support games because they're using different sized venues, but I'm sure they'll do something. The more I think about it, if my season ticket friend can't get us tickets we'll probably just go the StubHub route. We thought of getting a season ticket package next year, but figured the seats would suck at JLA so we're just going to take that money and get tickets on the secondary market if needed.

I checked Stub Hub a few days before this year's classic and the listed prices were like a WS game. Some below $200 and others $500.

If the NHL thinks they're going to sell 100,000 high priced tickets they are in for a rude awakening. For me personally I'm fine with going to a minor league/college game instead of a packed Michigan game. I'd rather be downtown at a slower pace.

I won't miss this for anything. I love games at the Big House and I love the Leafs even more. I will be there and in attendance, wouldn't miss it.

I signed up for the additional information on the red wings site this morning and not long after I got a call from the Red wings ticket office. The lady essentially told me that the only way to for sure get a ticket was to be a season ticket holder next season or buy a minimum 20 game package. She said that as of right now they thought that there would be only about 2000 tickets to be sold to the public in a lottery style system when it's all said and done. I think this is more a ploy to use this excitement to get fans to buy wings season tickets than anything else.

The radio host over here in Grand Rapids also speculate whether or not they will even be able to fill the place. I think it there will for sure be over 110,000 people there, but I'm just curious how many tickets will actually be on sale to the public and how they will do the sales. Will they make season ticket holders buy the packages of all tickets to make sure comerica is full? It would be hard to make non-season ticket holders buy tickets for detroit and ann arbor, but I'm sure people would just to go.

She said that as of right now they thought that there would be only about 2000 tickets to be sold to the public in a lottery style system when it's all said and done. I think this is more a ploy to use this excitement to get fans to buy wings season tickets than anything else.

Yep, it's like how on every broadcast this season Ken Kal says something like "tonight was the Wings' 54th consecutive home sellout. Fans, join us for the Wings' next home game Monday against the L.A. Kings, only a few thousand seats remain so act now".

The more we thought about it the more we're leaning towards just going the StubHub route if our friend can't get extra tickets. I guesstimated a 20 game package in the upper level corner would run between $1,600 and $1,800 for two seats. I'll just take half that money and use it on WC tickets.

Sounds like Yzerman not planning to play in the alumni game?

No, he issued a statement shortly after the press conference. Sounds like he's not even coming up for the festivities.

The radio host over here in Grand Rapids also speculate whether or not they will even be able to fill the place. I think it there will for sure be over 110,000 people there, but I'm just curious how many tickets will actually be on sale to the public and how they will do the sales. Will they make season ticket holders buy the packages of all tickets to make sure comerica is full? It would be hard to make non-season ticket holders buy tickets for detroit and ann arbor, but I'm sure people would just to go.

I was listening to Sean, too, and felt like he was more of speculating whether or not the size of the venue would support the ticket prices that have been seen at other Winter Classics.

Would the CFO of American Airlines ever fly United? Hate to say it, but Yzerman is a businessman now as a GM and not a hockey player. His business, the Tampa Bay Lightning, are a competitor to our business. I want to see the Captain as much as the next guy, but understand the marketplace decision.

Would the CFO of American Airlines ever fly United? Hate to say it, but Yzerman is a businessman now as a GM and not a hockey player. His business, the Tampa Bay Lightning, are a competitor to our business. I want to see the Captain as much as the next guy, but understand the marketplace decision.

Yep, that's how I see it too. Oh well, more roster space for a possible Johnny Ogrodnick appearance.

Does this mean Nick Lidstrom is coming back next year?

10541915-large.jpg

This is the first thing that popped into my head when the Red Wings twitter feed posted who was there from the Wings. I don't think theres any way he misses this.

I'd think the Wings will make a huge push for him to come back too, so he can help develop Brendan Smith more.

Would anyone want Fedorov invited back for the alumni game? I'll say absolutely!

Of course, the 3rd best Red Wing of the past 20 years should be there. Hope that the fans who booed him on previous returns have grown up by now and gained some perspective.