KleShreen

Red Wings to host Winter Classic in 2013/14?

Despite the fact that Illitch owns Comerica and not Michigan Stadium, I can't believe that you wouldn't be able to make the economics of hosting at a 110,000 seat facility over a 40,000 facility favorable to all parties concerned. And hosting at the Big House would be a much better hook - Comerica is meaningless to the national sports audience.

cough.

xD

Seems like the NHL's worst kept secret at this point... Do you guys think it could be a night game? Sure it'd be pretty damn cold, but logisticlly it makes sense...

- People will go regardless of the weather

- A 1:00 game is competing with 4 or 5 bowl games... Hockey will always be below the sports totem pole to football and odds are that at least one of those bowl games will be competitive.

- An 8:00 or 8:30pm game is competing with the end of the Rose Bowl and Fiesta Bowl only. Much better odds people will tune in.

Even all the Michigan fans who are watching their team in the Rose Bowl? ;)

That's what I'm saying! Right after Michigan beats USC you can turn it over to NBC... Or bring a radio with you to the game.

Michigan will not be in the Rose Bowl, they will be playing a week later in the BCS Title game against ___________.

Encouraging ESPN story, the best of both worlds

NHL eyes Maple Leafs-Red Wings Winter Classic at Big House, second rink in Detroit - ESPN

The NHL has all but finalized details to hold next year's Winter Classic between the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, while continuing negotiations for a second outdoor rink in downtown Detroit where all ancillary events would be held, a source told ESPN.com Friday.

The league would like to have the matter settled by the All-Star break in late January, according to the source.

The Jan. 1 game between the Original Six rivals would be played at the University of Michigan's "Big House," which, at 110,000-plus seats, is the largest college football stadium in the country. Ann Arbor is about 43 miles west of Detroit.

But cognizant of the need to include the City of Detroit in the process, the league would like to build a second outdoor rink in downtown Detroit, probably at Comerica Park, the home of Major League Baseball's Detroit Tigers.

The negotiations between the league, the City of Ann Arbor and the Red Wings are not completed. There is a definite sensitivity to making sure Detroit isn't left out in the cold, as it were, given the long-time loyalty shown the beleaguered city by the Ilitch family, which owns both the Red Wings and Tigers.

The source also said next year's Winter Classic will include new events that also would be held in downtown Detroit.

This year's Winter Classic at Philadelphia's Citizens Bank Park featured an alumni game that drew 45,000 fans. An American Hockey League game also was sold out at the ballpark, although ticket sales for those two games were bundled with the sale of tickets to the main Winter Classic game.

The ice surface at Citizens Bank Park also was used for other hockey and public skating events over the New Year's holiday. A similar plan is being considered for Detroit, given the NHL's desire to market the event as a celebration of the sport.

The annual Great Lakes Invitational, a college tournament that features Michigan State, Michigan and other top college invitees, is among the events being considered for the downtown rink. That tournament is usually held at Joe Louis Arena, the Red Wings' permanent home, in late December.

Scott Burnside is an NHL writer for ESPN.com.

I can't believe NBC is just willing to give CBC such a large chunk of their revenue by including Toronto in this. I was one of many running my mouth that no Canadian team would ever partake in this event, I was wrong.

I can't believe NBC is just willing to give CBC such a large chunk of their revenue by including Toronto in this. I was one of many running my mouth that no Canadian team would ever partake in this event, I was wrong.

Maybe they'll play up the U.S. vs Canada angle. The Olympics get good ratings even when only half the teams playing in a game are American. Of course the difference being try telling fans in Chicago or Philly that the Wings should be embraced for one day as "America's Team".

Good chance I would go see M play at the GLI @ Comerica, I used to goto at least 1 "College Hockey at the Joe" game every year.

It would be cool if there was an OHL game hosted (most likely would include Plymouth or Saginaw and Windsor - but gotta think its very unlikely)

Michigan AD Dave Brandon says Big House a possible site for NHL's Winter Classic | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Some key obstacles to make it happen that he brought up:

1) Stadium is closed up for awhile by Jan 1. Employees may be at a bowl game?

2) Liquor license to sell beer. Michigan Stadium doesn't have one. Believe it or not, it is quite a pain to get one. The state makes it difficult.

3) Michigan campus itself is closed Jan 1

Also... what about parking? Don't you park on golf courses during football games? Not an option in January with the snow/mud.

Michigan AD Dave Brandon says Big House a possible site for NHL's Winter Classic | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Some key obstacles to make it happen that he brought up:

1) Stadium is closed up for awhile by Jan 1. Employees may be at a bowl game?

2) Liquor license to sell beer. Michigan Stadium doesn't have one. Believe it or not, it is quite a pain to get one. The state makes it difficult.

3) Michigan campus itself is closed Jan 1

Also... what about parking? Don't you park on golf courses during football games? Not an option in January with the snow/mud.

I don't see the 3 points you listed in the article as being insurmountable. They've played off-season in stadiums before. Parking I could see as a real pain though. By the way, I'm not that familiar with Ann Arbor, does a golf course really allow parking on its fairways - wow, would think that would cause irreparable damage.

Edited by lordstanley

I don't see the 3 points you listed in the article as being insurmountable. They're played off-season in stadiums before. Parking I can see as a real pain though. By the way, I'm not that familiar with Ann Arbor, does a golf course really allow parking on its fairways - wow, would think that would cause irreparable damage.

Yes, you can park on the golf course on Saturdays during the football season. The course is the U of M home golf course, so it's not a bad course. I don't believe any of the cars are parked on the actual fairways, but I could be wrong. I've only walked through there a few times. I don't think they allow parking if it has rained a lot that week.

Parking will be an issue. There is no way they would allow parking on the golf course, and who knows how bad it would be if there is snow. If there is snow, then many of the other places that have parking will be closed too. The only place to park then would be the high school.

I think parking would be the biggest issue. You could end up with a bad scene. Wouldn't stop them from having the event but it could turn it into a real embarassment. 110,000 tickets sold and 40% not there at game time. If it's bitter cold and snow on the ground you'd have long lines for shuttle buses.

I'm not that familiar with Ann Arbor in terms of the football games to know for sure what the parking logistics would mean. I just know how crowded it gets around Comerica/Ford Field when you are talking a crowd less than 1/2 that size, and those are areas with parking structures and lots already there. How many of the 100,000 fans at Michigan games drive there? How would a typical student go? Drive or bus or walk? Guy on the radio said they'd be parking in Ypsi for this game.

Parking by far would be the biggest issue. Whenever I would go to a game I parked about 2 miles away on a residential street with the other 50k cars.

From reading Brandon's comments it seems to me he really doesn't want to host it and it will take an incredible financial offer from the league. He seems to be saying it will be too much of a headache on the school's part.

That's how I read it. not to mention.... if UM is having a bowl game that day, then they'd be competing on national TV against a game in their home stadium.

Can the NHL use the term 'Big House'? Is that trademarked by the school? Would they allow it's use in direct competition with a UM game on another network?

That's how I read it. not to mention.... if UM is having a bowl game that day, then they'd be competing on national TV against a game in their home stadium.

Can the NHL use the term 'Big House'? Is that trademarked by the school? Would they allow it's use in direct competition with a UM game on another network?

The NHL's deal with UM will probably give UM the chance to change the game time depending on the UM bowl game... Something like, if UM goes to the 5:00 Rose Bowl or a Bowl not on New Years Day, the Winter Classic will be held at Noon or 1:00 - if it is the 1:00 Capital One Bowl or Outback Bowl or Gator Bowl or (you get the idea), then the Winter Classic will be held at 4:00 or even 8:00.

Pittsburgh vs. Washington in 2010 at Heinz Field was moved to primetime due to various delays and ended up being an under the lights game.

Now let's see what the league does with ticket prices. Michigan was smart by making the tickets affordable for the Big Chill to fill the place. If the NHL does something along the lines of $30-$40 I think it could sell out easily. Anything higher and getting 110k+ could be a challenge.