KleShreen

Red Wings to host Winter Classic in 2013/14?

I doubt they will do a rematch in the winter classic any time soon. So rule out the Blackhawks. We need to remember, the teams that play in this game all have some kind of history. Considering how the Wild appear to be on the rise, we will be in the same conference starting after this year, we are division rivals in every sport except hockey (until next year) and they have a long storied history, I would not be surprised to see Minnesota as our opponent.

While any true Wing fan would drool over the thought of playing the Leafs outside, it just wont happen. A Canadian team won't get to play in the WC until some kind of agreement is made in the future with the TV stations and everything. NBC would be losing a big chunk of viewers if there is one less American team.

Oh, that's right-- hockey is only cold in the north! I totally forgot that the Panthers play on a sheet of hot ice!

Hey, thanks for being an unnecessary doucher about it!

Please go through the past winter classics and tell me the team furthest south to have played in one? Don't you think that rather than sticking the same teams in the game year-after-year, the NHL would have mixed it up by now? Or are you just that ignorant?

Don't you think that rather than sticking the same teams in the game year-after-year, the NHL would have mixed it up by now? Or are you just that ignorant?

The NHL doesn't care about anything besides getting the biggest draw that they can. If that means they have to keep involving some of the same, and more popular teams, I'm sure they'll have no problem doing so.

Hey, thanks for being an unnecessary doucher about it!

Please go through the past winter classics and tell me the team furthest south to have played in one? Don't you think that rather than sticking the same teams in the game year-after-year, the NHL would have mixed it up by now? Or are you just that ignorant?

Hey, no problem! At least I'm not referring to a fellow human as a complete waste!

Your post stated that the southern teams were the ones not wanting to play in the Winter Classic, due to the temps. You made no reference to what the league wanted.

I highly doubt any of the southern/western teams even WANT to play outside on January 1st...

I think you are right, the league probably would have a preference to northern teams, but your initial statement of a southern team not wanting to play outside is just goofy.

Hey, no problem! At least I'm not referring to a fellow human as a complete waste!

Your post stated that the southern teams were the ones not wanting to play in the Winter Classic, due to the temps. You made no reference to what the league wanted.

I think you are right, the league probably would have a preference to northern teams, but your initial statement of a southern team not wanting to play outside is just goofy.

Well, it's good to see that talking about the availability of NHL teams for outdoor games is apparently comparable to someone putting other people's lives in danger and having no remorse about it.

And I beg to differ on the last part. I'm willing to bet that before the league decided to put Philadelphia and Pittsburgh in the game multiple times, they most likely inquired as to if those southern and western teams wanted to participate.

I think the reason a southern team hasn't played in the Winter Classic is that a marketable team or large enough fanbase has not emerged. Sharks win the Cup and a breakout star leads them to the Cup, and I'm sure both the NHL and the Sharks would be keen on the Sharks playing in the Winter Classic.

Edited by lordstanley

It's all about the TV ratings a team would draw. Both teams have to draw huge locally.

I checked StubHub prices for tomorrow's game and they're several hundred dollars.

It's all about the TV ratings a team would draw. Both teams have to draw huge locally.

I checked StubHub prices for tomorrow's game and they're several hundred dollars.

That's a big reason you won't see a southern or warm weather team in the game. The league is relying on fan bases who have nowhere to go and who'll sit in front of the TV on New Year's Day.

I haven't paid much attention to any build-up to this year's Winter Classic, but the Flyers and Rangers face off at 3pm Eastern (not 1pm Eastern) today.

Sportsnet Radio's "Hockeycentral" has been discussing the option of Detroit WC 2013 today, one interesting point that popped up was how it works between the team and the NHL. Basically, the NHL takes what the gate revenue would have been at (for example) the Joe, so lets say 1.5 - 1.8mil, and "buys", or pays the Wings whatever the gate would have been. Then they buy the TV rights for the game, and after that, the game is then owned by the NHL.

This may have been common knowledge for some, but I just found it interesting and worth sharing if some were wondering about how it happens. The hosts liked entertaining the idea of playing at the Big House and the spectacle it would create, but it's fair to assume that this should be at Comerica for many of the reasons that have already been mentioned.

This discussion definitely makes me excited though, it would be a tough ticket to pass up.

And I beg to differ on the last part. I'm willing to bet that before the league decided to put Philadelphia and Pittsburgh in the game multiple times, they most likely inquired as to if those southern and western teams wanted to participate.

I think it unlikely, in that there aren't Southern / Western teams with as much following as the Northeastern / Midwestern teams, and the event is about NBC / NHL drawing as much of a TV audence as they can.

Also, I do not understand why Southern or Western teams would not want to play in the Winter Classic. Is it because you think the players are not acclimated to the cold weather? I would expect just about every hockey player is acclimatized to cold environments. It isn't uncommon for a hockey rink to be as cold as it is outdoors for the Winter Classic.

Whether a southern or western team wants to play in the game (They all do), it will never happen unless they win the Cup and even then they will play in the northeast or midwest where it will be cold. No in Detroit would care if the Panthers played Nashville in the game, nor would the rest of the country. You put your best teams on display in your marquee event to garner the biggest payday and best exposure for your sport.

I think the Wings should host and the visiting team should be the NHL All-Stars. Not every team has to be represented, but many would be. Gets the whole league involved. Showing the same teams year after year gets old after awhile - the novelty of outdoor play in a baseball stadium isn't that compelling after the first couple, except for fans of the two teams involved.

And if you don't care about crowd size but are instead looking for novel places to host a game that would stand out on TV, set up a rink and portable stands on the Vegas Strip, under the Golden Gate Bridge, Disneyland, on South Beach, among the cacti in the Arizona desert, as Aspen resort, a Minnesota lake. You can make the ice happen.

Edited by lordstanley

Just saw a facebook post saying NHL has confirmed the 2013 Winter Classic will be at Michigan Stadium against the Leafs.

Hmm apparently it isn't confirmed yet. I guess it came from some sports radio station in San Diego? That doesn't make sense.

Just saw a facebook post saying NHL has confirmed the 2013 Winter Classic will be at Michigan Stadium against the Leafs.

I saw the same, but there's been nothing in the News, Freep or nhl.com conforming it.

Seems the speculation is caused by a quote from Caps owner Ted Leonsis confirming they won't be hosting the next game.

Edited by dadair6

I know... Puck Daddy wrote a thing making it sound like it's definately Detroit but that was dated Yesterday.

Stupid Down with Detroit.

Toronto Maple Leafs @ Detroit Red Wings

Big House

8:00 pm

January 1st, 2014

Eh?

First night game outside, largest attendence in hockey history, etc.

cough.

xD

Seems like the NHL's worst kept secret at this point... Do you guys think it could be a night game? Sure it'd be pretty damn cold, but logisticlly it makes sense...

- People will go regardless of the weather

- A 1:00 game is competing with 4 or 5 bowl games... Hockey will always be below the sports totem pole to football and odds are that at least one of those bowl games will be competitive.

- An 8:00 or 8:30pm game is competing with the end of the Rose Bowl and Fiesta Bowl only. Much better odds people will tune in.

I would go... By then, I will know if I am accepted to UM or not, so it could be my first trip onto campus as a Wolverine.