mavscougars

Tigers bring Ramon Santiago back for 2 years

I just read on MLB TRADE RUMORS that the Tigers have given Ramon a 2 year offer (contract). I like the move and i'm glad he's coming back. What are your thoughts?

Ramon! My pick for free-agent lock! (really out on the limb, me)

I am perfectly okay going with a Santiago/Raburn platoon at 2B. Resources should be prioritized towards the acquisition of a 3B.

Wait... The title and description are contradicting.

"Tigers bring Ramon Santiago back for 2 years" says that a contract has been agreed too... The description though says that it is only an offer...

I doubt he accepts if the Pirates are offering him a starting job.

I'm not surprised that Santiago is coming back. I said a couple weeks ago that I wouldn't be shocked if we made no changes to the starting lineup at all, and one of the changes that I think most people assumed would be a pickup at 2nd base. Now that's almost certainly gone, since Santiago was adamant that he sign someplace where he could start.

I also think we might see a combination of Inge and Maicer Izturis at 3B, as well as Izturis spelling Santiago at 2B occasionally, so i actually think if Izturis comes over, those two spots will be essentially set. And with Young Delmon, Ajax and Boesch with a Raburn backup in the outfield, along with Laird backing up catcher, our roster is pretty much set.

The only thing that might shake that up is signing the Cuban kid. That would make one of the outfielders expendable, but I would bet it would be for either a fifth starter, or solid middle of the bullpen guy.

We were a 95-win team last season. I think what I outline above is essentially the extent of our offseason moves.

"Tigers bring Ramon Santiago back for 2 years" says that a contract has been agreed too... The description though says that it is only an offer...

OFFICIAL_TIGERS Detroit Tigers

Tigers agree to two-year contract with Ramon Santiago. #tigers

I think the Pirates signing of Barmes killed Ramon's shot at a starting gig for them.

I need to know for how much.

via Morosi: @jonmorosi: Source says Ramon Santiago’s two-year deal with the #Tigers is worth around $4 million guaranteed.

via Morosi: @jonmorosi: Source says Ramon Santiago’s two-year deal with the #Tigers is worth around $4 million guaranteed.

Down with that!

Great deal. He can platoon at 2B with Raburn and be the backup SS. He's a very good defender, especially at 2B and he knows how to handle the bat even if he isn't overly talented offensively. Probably better than giving something for Izturis. Cheap considering the market this year really. I hope they go for a big 3B upgrade that isn't Ramirez now.

Great deal. He can platoon at 2B with Raburn and be the backup SS. He's a very good defender, especially at 2B and he knows how to handle the bat even if he isn't overly talented offensively. Probably better than giving something for Izturis. Cheap considering the market this year really. I hope they go for a big 3B upgrade that isn't Ramirez now.

Meaning what? He swings with enough control on the bat to ground out weakly to the right side of the infield? :wink:

I'm fine with bringing back Santiago for a couple more years and even committing to starting him for the first one, but I don't think we're out of the Izturis sweepstakes yet. And I doubt they commit to a 3B upgrade of any size for more than two years, unless the Tigers don't believe Castellanos will come to anything.

I guess the Tigers didn't want to hand the job to Worth. I'm a little surprised, even though I think we're better off with Santiago.

Tigers got Santiago back for $4M total for two years and Maicer Izturis was going to cost $3.8M for one year.

I have no problem with that...I am not blown away or super excited, but I like it none the less.

THere are arguably few if any guys who would be more productive starting 2Bs than a Raburn/Santiago combination. Reasonably available guys that is. I'd much rather use the money on a 3B or upgrade on Delmon in LF.

I love it. He's perfect for the team. He does a solid job when he's in there, with a more-than-decent glove and some key hits. Then he sits for a while, keeps working hard, and keeps his mouth shut. I think that there is tremendous value in that contract.

I'd be very surprised if the Tigers went into the season with Santiago/Raburn and Kelly/Inge. I believe they will upgrade one of those spots. I'd rather it be third base, but there seems to be more players available at second.

Edit: Actually the last part is not true. Izturis and Prado can play 3B as well if not better than second. So, there are probably equal possibilities at both positions.

Edited by tiger337

I have zero qualms with this. Santiago is the type of guy you need as a role player on a great team. Consistently solid defense, a little bit of pop in his bat that can be a spark plug for a short time and overall, some pretty consistent hitting. You know you're going to get .250-.260 from him for the year most times and get solid defense. I like it.