dbt

Suh suspension - 2 Games

Valenti is a jerk -- I don't blame Suh for his reactions. Just because Suh has made some mistakes doesn't give Valenti the right to be a jerk towards Suh.

He had the right to ask the questions. He couldn't have done the interview without asking those questions. But he should've realized the answers he received were likely and had a better plan of attack to ask those questions again, if he wanted to pursue them. Going to something like, "was it difficult to watch those games while suspended?" or something like that would've been interesting. It wouldn't have been the primary answers people would've wanted to hear, but I think people would've found the potential answer interesting. Ask a question or two like that, relax him and then ask the other questions in another way. But, honestly, his answers, while not directly answering what they asked, were legitimate responses.

I've always followed the school of asking something simple, calming the environment before banging into the hard questions when you have a defensive source you need to talk to and need as much information as possible. That person you are talking to has a mental wall up and is in "defensive mode" before you start that interview. They know why you are calling. Setting the interview with an "easy" question or even a question beyond the subject does three things.

1) Relaxes the person you are interviewing

2) Makes it more likely they'll answer the questions.

3) If they don't answer them initially makes it more likely they won't hang up or end the interview. More than likely, there will be questions that are important that can be addressed that you can get answered if they don't hang up or leave.

The way Valenti approached this interview may work for radio if you want to create an image for his show, but it was probably the worst way you could've approached it in terms of getting real information. He may have failed getting his primary questions answered anyway if he approached it differently, but he would've had a better chance to get "something" and get other meaningful questions answered. For instance, I would've liked to know what he felt while watching his team play while he was at home. What did he learn from the experience? All sorts of other stuff. Instead, they chose to go with a blitzkreg and - predictably - got nothing. But, honestly, they got nothing in a very respectful way from Suh. I've been hard on him (I called him pretty much a Tyson thug), but I don't see anything he did wrong in this interview from a class perspective. Might not like his answers or I might of hoped for more, but his image went up a half-notch with the way he presented himself during that interview.

I'm sure Foster supported Valenti on the air, but I'm sure if you could get him aside, he'd be the first to admit from a professional standpoint that was poorly handled. Honestly, he probably should've pulled Mike aside and took over the interview. It became clear he wasn't going to be able to do anyone any good with that strategy.

Anyone with common sense would've hung up like Suh did.

Valenti is a blowhard. He's not even a Detroit sports fan (he's from NY), only a MSU Spartan fan. If you notice, when he talks about local sports teams (Lions, Tigers, etc) he always refers to them as "they"...when he talks about the Spartans it's "we". Guys like Valenti in the local media are going to drive a wedge between Suh and the city of Detroit and when the next contract time comes, Suh will leave town.

A bunch of stuff... : )

I think it's all part of Valenti's radio shtick. It seems to work as he gets good ratings -- then again it could be a result of having no real competition, as WDFN is a mere shell of its former self.

Suh was very respectful. He is obviously tired of hearing about the stomp and wreck. Would not be surprised if he got a big earful from Schwartz and other players along the lines of "its not all about you big guy, remember all your actions impact everyone in the locker room." Suh just playing is very close to the vest and focusing on that.

I would say EVERYONE wants this to just fade away and this may be the best way to accomplish that...continuous no comments.

Valenti should have dropped it and moved on to quesitons about Oakland.

I have to LOL that Valenti actually started arguing with/contradicting Suh, and then wondered why he hung up.

Reminds me of a phone-peddler getting into an argument with a customer and then wondering why they wouldn't buy anything.

Deadspin also framed the title of that article/clip in the complete wrong way. I realize they are trying to get the most amount of hits they can, which is why they did it, but Valenti comes off as the idiot in this one.

Valenti I've always felt acts the way he does cause it gets ratings. He reminds me of the trolls over on the ESPN boards with the way he talks and the things he has to say. I think overall he is trying really hard to get an ESPN radio show in NY and get back to where he came from. He doesn't even like the Detroit sports teams from what I can tell. Even when the Wings/Tigers/Lions are doing well he still trashes them that they aren't doing enough.

As for 97.1 they lost me as a listener when they were trashing a mother that lost her daughter to suicide. I turned off the morning show and have never listened to 97.1 since then. Plenty of other things to listen to then what they have on there.