number20

Suh's excuse

Wow, some of the overreactions to this incident here are laughable. Suh went overboard and should be fined, but he should NOT be suspended. The NFL fined Brian Robison (DE Vikings) $20k with no suspension for this incident (and wasn't even ejected from the game):

Suh's actions were not worse than this one, so if the NFL is fair they will fine him $20-25k only. Suh has already been suspended for half a game by being ejected in the 2nd half.

I don't see a way he isn't suspended for at least one game. The worst part for Suh is the fact he asked for a meeting with Goodell earlier in the season and then did this yesterday. Even if the NFL wouldn't have suspended him if this happened earlier in the season, I think they definitely will just because of the Public Opinion around it.

"In the past few hours, I have had time to reflect on yesterday's game and I want to sincerely apologize for letting my teammates down, the organization, and especially to my fans who look to me for positive inspiration," he said in a statement released on his Facebook page.

"Playing professional sports is not a game. It is a profession with great responsibility, and where performance on and off the field should never be compromised. It requires a calm and determined demeanor, which cannot be derailed by the game, referee calls, fans or other players.

"I want to reiterate my commitment to working to become a better player, and professional -- on and off the field. My reaction on Thursday was unacceptable. I made a mistake, and have learned from it. I hope to direct the focus back to the task at hand -- by winning."

After a confusing explanation, Suh seems to have had a change of heart

Much better statement... Hopefully he's sincere.

He's worthless if he doesn't find a way to compose himself and play within the rules. And if the Lions had any balls, they'd come out and say that type of play won't be tolerated. But they don't.

a) It absolutely doesn't make him worthless. It's not like he's getting kicked out of every game. He one of the 5 most valuable players on the team, IMO.

b) What in the world would that accomplish? You, me, Suh, and everyone else already knows that they don't want him to go around kicking people. Pouting to the media and saying things like "We will not tolerate this behavior" doesn't do anything.

I love Suh, he is a great player, stats dont tell you what kind of difference he makes on a field. This stuff is just frustrating as hell to watch. The same mentality that makes him great, also causes probelms for him. The officiating was some of the worst I have ever witnessed in a football game and no doubt he was frustrated, but obviously no excuse. And of course it was gonna be a huge story with all the dirty talk surrounding him and the fact it was a nationally televised game. He just looked terrible in what he did. I think after he calmed down he released a statement that seemed heartfelt and I hope this is a turning point for him going forward.

I think Suh is rightfully repentent now, although he does deserve a short suspension. His kick does not compare to Haynesworth's, imo.

He also needs to mature on the field, so he can be respected and feared by his peers. They don't fear him, because they don't respect him..

Nobody fears/respects him, ey? Then why is he constantly double-teamed?

If this were an isolated incident or only about Suh I wouldnt feel the way I do. But its not isolated its systemic. Its been building for 2 years and is costing a good young team. The Lions, not just Suh, have gained a rep as a dirty team. I dont care what fans say but its affected the officiating. Two plays about 1 minute apart prove this. Stafford is hammered long after the ball is released, no call. On the ensuing GB possession KVB gets a roughing on a similar play. KVBs hit was cleaner than the hit on Stafford. You can see the negative impact even on regular penalties through the timing of when penalties are called. Big play in the game, flag on the Lions.

As for being more disappointing than 0-16 we expected the same old crap that season. 0-16 or 2-14, who cares we were devoid of talent. This team should be different but is it really? I see the same old Lions more often than not. I see a team on the field that lacks discipline and a coaching staff unwilling or unable to rein them in judging from the fact the problems in that area not only continue, but grow worse.

Im in no way advocating dumping anyone and infering that anyone has from these posts is disingenuous.

The problem with Suh now is not just that the refs are looking to flag him. It's that opposing players will now think they can get into his head and cause him to lose his cool. He is going to be tested by opponents every week, and watched by refs who have a trigger finger on their flags. He seriously needs to develop some maturity.

I think Suh is rightfully repentent now, although he does deserve a short suspension. His kick does not compare to Haynesworth's, imo.

He also needs to mature on the field, so he can be respected and feared by his peers. They don't fear him, because they don't respect him..

Every single meeting concerning offenses against the Lions seriously addresses the Suh factor and how to combat it. They might think he's a dirty player. They may not respect him as a person. But they certainly respect what he can do to an offense on the field.

He's worthless if he doesn't find a way to compose himself and play within the rules. And if the Lions had any balls, they'd come out and say that type of play won't be tolerated. But they don't.

Guess they do have balls...

The Lions, in their statement, called the incident “unacceptable”.

"The on-field conduct exhibited by Ndamukong Suh that led to his ejection from yesterday's game was unacceptable and failed to meet the level of sportsmanship we expect from our players," the statement read.

"Ndamukong has made many positive contributions to the Lions on and off the field. We expect his behavior going forward to consistently reflect that high standard of professionalism.

"We have been in contact with Commissioner Goodell's office and were advised that, like any on-field matter, Thursday's incident is subject to review by the league office and that subsequent discipline would be determined by the league office."

After a confusing explanation, Suh seems to have had a change of heart

It all starts with the twirp of a HC...not suprising considering the actions of his players when he was with the Titans.

Suh is an embarrassment and a fool...and to be honest, I wish I could say I saw what all everyone sees when they talk about how great he is.

...also, where is all this young talent everyone else see? The glass qb?...other than CJ, I don't get it...

It all starts with the twirp of a HC...not suprising considering the actions of his players when he was with the Titans.

Suh is an embarrassment and a fool...and to be honest, I wish I could say I saw what all everyone sees when they talk about how great he is.

...also, where is all this young talent everyone else see? The glass qb?...other than CJ, I don't get it...

Stafford

Johnson

Titus Young

Pettigrew

Willie Young

Suh

Delmas

Levy

Avril

Fairley

Best (when healthy)

I feel silly addressing this post seriously when I have legitimate doubts about your knowledge/allegiance as a Lions fan, especially since Stafford has played in every game this season, and has always shown a lot of toughness. Do I really need to remind you of Stafford throwing a TD to Pettigrew for the win against the Browns with a freshly separated shoulder?

Edited by Vonlenska

Do you not understand what it takes to be a great defensive lineman? This is not a position where stats tell everything. To say his actions are a disgrace...I can see your argument. To say he is not good is just absurd. As for all the young talent, you must be blind. Vonlenska covered that list. I suggest you find a new team.

I'll take Suh stomping on a packer. Good, play with an edge. The bad boy image hasn't hurt the lions. They play with an attitude, and they win. They aren't elite yet, because they still have some holes talent wise. It has nothing to do with Suh stomping a packer, and everything to do with Wright and Berry being over-matched, Spievey being a liability, a poor runningback group and a middling offensive line.

What DOES piss me off is the players faking injuries (I'm looking at your Berry) when they screw up. I missed a tackle, lay on the field. I got burned in coverage, start limping. Nothing infuriates me more than watching a guy screw up, lay on the field, and be healthy again 5 plays. You aren't hurt, stop trying to make excuses.

And the whining to the officials (Stafford especially). Everyting wasn't pass interference (both offense and defense), you aren't being hit late.

Just strap up the helmet and play.

I'll take dirty play and aggressive/stupid penalties (ala Suh) over the whining and excuse making I saw on Thanksgiving.

I don't like dirty players and I don't care what team they play for. Suh is a tough guy, I just wish he wouldn't take cheap shots.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

All the hyperbole around this is extremely thick.

The country hating the Lions? Truthfully I don't really care about that, because they're going to hate them whether it's because they're the Lions or they're from Detroit or some other reason, not just because of one incident that happened on the field during play.

This year worse than the 0-16 year just because of one second-year player is trying to play as hard as he can but lets his temper get the best of him at times? That is very ridiculous, even if it's only an opinion.

Granted, I personally feel that Suh should get a game off. He shouldn't have kicked at the guy in the first place and his explanation the first time was on the lame side. Schwarz and the staff need to get though to Suh to let him know that he needs to be more disciplined. Those are facts that I will not argue against.

To let this just be about Suh, and how "dirty" he is though, is erroneous. That game was getting very chippy well before that point. In my opinion, the refs let the game run away in terms of discipline until it was too late. Also, watching that replay, it looked to me that the Packer wasn't letting Suh get up easily.

Again, I am not letting Suh off the hook for what he did. I just also hope that the bigger picture surrounding this is taken into account.

When Suh is playing the 1 technique, by default he gets double teamed (most slide protections double the 1 to the MLB, unless it’s a blitz situation). With the Lions blitz % being relatively low, he is doubled more often than not. I believe the double teaming is not game planning against Suh, but more so a byproduct of him playing the 1 in their scheme.

That being said, when he is in single situations, I don’t think he is winning the % of 1 on 1 battle’s you’d expect from an elite level DT.

His sack totals last year were unreal for a 1 technique, but that was last year. He hasn’t played at the same level as last year, but he also hasn’t been asked to do as much (they are twisting much less than last year, and with better LB play, seem to be a little more gap conscious).

That’s a really long winded way of saying Suh is a really good DT, but is over hyped. Unfortunately for us, he’s noticed that being a little edgy has gotten him promotion deals most DL’s don’t get (just ask other Rd 1 DT’s drafted in 2010: Gerald McCoy, Tyson Alualu, Dan Williams, Jared Odrick, Torell Troup, Lamarr Houston, and Linval Joseph)

At the end of the day this is a 24 year old who got caught up in the heat of the moment, did something really dumb (that gets magnified by of slow motion), and is looking a lot worse because of a D- response that I perceive as a blatant lie.

I’m not convinced he will be suspended, but if he is, I think it will be less than two games. This alone hurts the Lions, but the residual impact form the refs, for he and others on the team, is far worse.

Does this outweigh the positive impact he has on the team… I’m not sure. One thing most would agree on, his negative impact outweighed his positive impact against Green Bay.

Is sack totals all your basing your opinion of him on? You seem to be leaving an awful lot out of that post.

Nobody fears/respects him, ey? Then why is he constantly double-teamed?

I meant it more like a TO type of situation. Great player, of course; but not respected by his peers. Suh has to clean up his act, while playing better football. He hasn't had nearly the season that he had last year.

Stafford

Johnson

Titus Young

Pettigrew

Willie Young

Suh

Delmas

Levy

Avril

Fairley

Best (when healthy)

I feel silly addressing this post seriously when I have legitimate doubts about your knowledge/allegiance as a Lions fan, especially since Stafford has played in every game this season, and has always shown a lot of toughness. Do I really need to remind you of Stafford throwing a TD to Pettigrew for the win against the Browns with a freshly separated shoulder?

His "4" posts lead me to believe he is a troll bears or packers fan.

Matt... I just want to warn you here... people are going to respond negatively to the tone of your posts. You certainly are allowed to have your opinion and can post it here, but do bear in mind because you have only posted 4 times and every one of those posts has been to comment negatively on Suh. People will assume you are not a Lions fan and are only trolling.

Think of it this way... you walk into a bar filled with Lions fans wearing Lions jerseys and such. You don't know a soul here and they don't know you. Then your say: "Schwartz is a twirp. Suh is an embarrassment and a fool. The Lions, other than CJ, have no talent." How do you expect the bar patrons will react?

I'm just saying that you can expect some hostile reaction to your comments.

Others.... this is certainly NOT a license to flame Matt. Engage him in good conversation and discussion. If we find out he's a troll later, the mods will take care of the problem.

Matt... I just want to warn you here... people are going to respond negatively to the tone of your posts. You certainly are allowed to have your opinion and can post it here, but do bear in mind because you have only posted 4 times and every one of those posts has been to comment negatively on Suh. People will assume you are not a Lions fan and are only trolling.

Think of it this way... you walk into a bar filled with Lions fans wearing Lions jerseys and such. You don't know a soul here and they don't know you. Then your say: "Schwartz is a twirp. Suh is an embarrassment and a fool. The Lions, other than CJ, have no talent." How do you expect the bar patrons will react?

I'm just saying that you can expect some hostile reaction to your comments.

Others.... this is certainly NOT a license to flame Matt. Engage him in good conversation and discussion. If we find out he's a troll later, the mods will take care of the problem.

Apparently Matt is from Portland, Oregon, according to his profile, and only has 4 posts (all anti-Suh related). Seeing as how Suh is also from Portland, perhaps Matt has some personal beef with Suh from the past. Maybe Suh schooled him back in high school football or something and Matt is still bitter.

Apparently Matt is from Portland, Oregon, according to his profile, and only has 4 posts (all anti-Suh related). Seeing as how Suh is also from Portland, perhaps Matt has some personal beef with Suh from the past. Maybe Suh schooled him back in high school football or something and Matt is still bitter.

Or it's entirely possible that Matt is just following the progress of a guy he knew from high school and his negative feelings about Suh's actions are born out of nothing more than his feelings about Suh's current actions. I don't want to assume that Matt is trolling or carrying a grudge from Highschool. Let's not lynch the guy before we get to know him in otherwords.