hail2mich

GDT: Ohio State at #15 Michigan 11/26/2011

Don't know why, but was interested enough to catch about 80% of the game. Something about the fan base here must have induced me.

So what did you think of the game? It'd be interesting to hear an "outsider's" persepective.

Congrats on beating OSU.

Just like everyone else.

Yes, because MSU beats them ever-so-often, too. I get that it is a down year for Ohio State, but there is nothing wrong in being pumped over UM beating OSU for the first time in forever.

I have no idea how Ohio State managed to put up 34 and came down to the last minute of the game in Ann Arbor. If this weren't Michigan's first win in 7 games, I think I would be a little embarrassed about that performance yesterday. I'm not trying to troll, I expected the game to be over at halftime, but Ohio State made it more of a game than it should have been.

Play calling and clock management again reared its ugly head on the OSU side and that is something that will haunt Fickell for now. It has been an issue in other games, beginning with at Miami. The clock management is something that is inexcuseable for a head coach. Play calling, I guess that can be taken with a grain of salt. But then when the two are combined to call a clock killing spike on 3rd & 6 with a minute left, that's an issue going to hang on Fickell's resume a bit.

Braxton Miller is going to need to learn some touch on his throws. That's something that should have been worked through during the regular season rather than holding him to a dozen passes per game. Or maybe the best learning process for him was to gain some limited success and build upon that. I guess its easy to make assumptions from the outside. But his feel for the pocket seems pretty advanced for a freshman with his skills. I think he's confident back there and willing to wait for an open receiver rather than pull the ball. I don't know that he would have gained much today by pulling and running more often with the way Michigan was playing him.

And thank you for posting that clip of the botched Michigan punt. The expression on his face was priceless.

So now, horray for Ohio State, the AD and uppers have decided to take the spoils of a 6-6 season and head to the Insight.com Bowl or some silly made for ESPN production on some not New Year's Day day rather than doing the smart thing and starting the impending bowl bans now. I would not be surprised to see a 3 year ban, the result of which could include Miller leaving to play elsewhere.

Congrats on beating OSU. I definitely wanted OSU to win (bowl implications for State if they lose the B1G championship game), but was pleased with how the game ended up from an entertainment standpoint. The pictures of the fans celebrating after are pretty damn cool too.

Great YouTube find. The Michigan Replay show with Bo and Larry Adderley that aired after Michigan's 22-0 victory at Ohio State. in 1976. The best starts halfway in - students watching the game in on-campus bars, Ann Arbor street celebrations afterwards, scenes from the team bus after the game, hero's welcome at Metro Airport, Al Ackerman, questions for Rob Lytle about his Heisman chances, Ufer's calls of the game's big moments ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cP1G7Sas40

And here's the entire 1hr 22 min second half of that 1976 game, with every snapped called by Ufer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_wt5YI9Z-I&feature=related

Edited by lordstanley

So if Georgia beats LSU, does LSU still play for the title? Just a general question and I didnt want to start a new thread.

I don't think Michigan will be in the top 14 of the BCS this week.

I have no idea how Ohio State managed to put up 34 and came down to the last minute of the game in Ann Arbor. If this weren't Michigan's first win in 7 games, I think I would be a little embarrassed about that performance yesterday. I'm not trying to troll, I expected the game to be over at halftime, but Ohio State made it more of a game than it should have been.

If you watched how Miller played, you would have an idea of how they scored 34. UM put up 40 on that osu defense though. And osu is 6-6 but has the talent of a 10 win team. I dont know too many UM fans who thought this would be a blowout. So im not embarrassed at all. A 10 win season, after the past 3 years, is beyond excellent.

So if Georgia beats LSU, does LSU still play for the title? Just a general question and I didnt want to start a new thread.

I don't think Michigan will be in the top 14 of the BCS this week.

Right on the edge now, and one of state/wiscy will lose as well as Georgia going to lose.

It's pretty unlikely they won't be top 14.

EDIT: I see you said this week, yeah they'll be 16th next week, but move up to 14th after that.

Edited by TigerNation

If you watched how Miller played, you would have an idea of how they scored 34. UM put up 40 on that osu defense though. And osu is 6-6 but has the talent of a 10 win team. I dont know too many UM fans who thought this would be a blowout. So im not embarrassed at all. A 10 win season, after the past 3 years, is beyond excellent.

If you would have watched Ohio State for most of the season, you would have an idea about thier lack of talent this season and how scoring 34 is awfully unexpected. No WRs, a freshman QB (who is certainly skilled, just young), and not a lot of returnees on a defense which has been overrated this season. I'm no expert, but I expected 7-5 out of them this season. 10 wins out of this season would've required a few more Akrons on an 18 game schedule.

Edit: The 34 points scored is 3rd most this season for the Buckeyes. In BIG play, they scored: 7, 27, 17, 33, 34, 23, 14, and 34.

Edited by Casimir

Can we please stop calling the Big 10 the B1G? I am losing it here.

How about Leaders & Legends? :)

Play calling and clock management again reared its ugly head on the OSU side and that is something that will haunt Fickell for now. It has been an issue in other games, beginning with at Miami. The clock management is something that is inexcuseable for a head coach. Play calling, I guess that can be taken with a grain of salt. But then when the two are combined to call a clock killing spike on 3rd & 6 with a minute left, that's an issue going to hang on Fickell's resume a bit.

Braxton Miller is going to need to learn some touch on his throws. That's something that should have been worked through during the regular season rather than holding him to a dozen passes per game. Or maybe the best learning process for him was to gain some limited success and build upon that. I guess its easy to make assumptions from the outside. But his feel for the pocket seems pretty advanced for a freshman with his skills. I think he's confident back there and willing to wait for an open receiver rather than pull the ball. I don't know that he would have gained much today by pulling and running more often with the way Michigan was playing him.

And thank you for posting that clip of the botched Michigan punt. The expression on his face was priceless.

So now, horray for Ohio State, the AD and uppers have decided to take the spoils of a 6-6 season and head to the Insight.com Bowl or some silly made for ESPN production on some not New Year's Day day rather than doing the smart thing and starting the impending bowl bans now. I would not be surprised to see a 3 year ban, the result of which could include Miller leaving to play elsewhere.

Well, I agree that the final score was not indicative of the skill/coaching level of each team. Michigan should have won that game by more than six. It's not hard to see how it ended up so close, though. Michigan fumbled the ball in their own zone leading to a quick 7 points for OSU. They had the botched punt in their own zone, leading to a quick 3 points. They had a TD that was reversed on replay, and the ensuing play saw them lose 25 yards on penalties, the combination of which cost them 4 points.

All told, Michigan outgained OSU by 70 yards, had 23 first downs to OSU's 18, and was able to control the clock late as the game was closer than it should have been. I certainly don't feel embarrassed by any of these numbers. OSU didn't make it closer than it should have been, Michigan made it closer than it should have been.

I think this was still a good OSU team, though. Miller is a talent, and it looked to me that he has improved as the season has progressed. Posey was playing. Brown seemed to be open quite a bit. They averaged 9 yards per pass. Shazier seemed to play well in sweat's absence. No Pryor meant that it wasn't going to be a special season, but they played MSU, Nebraska, Michigan, and PSU close. The Purdue loss should have been a win. They beat Wisconsin. A 3-5 big ten record doesn't look good, but when so many of those losses were close, they seem much closer to an 8.5 win team than a 6 win team.

As for self-imposing a bowl ban, I doubt the NCAA gives much credit to a team that decides to forgo a bowl game after a 6-6 season, so they might as well use the extra practices to get better now.

If you would have watched Ohio State for most of the season, you would have an idea about thier lack of talent this season and how scoring 34 is awfully unexpected. No WRs, a freshman QB (who is certainly skilled, just young), and not a lot of returnees on a defense which has been overrated this season. I'm no expert, but I expected 7-5 out of them this season. 10 wins out of this season would've required a few more Akrons on an 18 game schedule.

Edit: The 34 points scored is 3rd most this season for the Buckeyes. In BIG play, they scored: 7, 27, 17, 33, 34, 23, 14, and 34.

Posey is one of the best WR in the big 10 and he only played the last 2 games. Miller apparently took his game to another level against Michigan. He wasn't Troy Smith because he actually missed a couple throws, but there's no way the guy we saw Saturday only completed 47% of his passes. Compared to Taylor Martinez's performance in AA the week before, Miller looked like Cam Newton yesterday.

And like Shelton said, we gifted them 10 points with turnovers and 7 with a blown coverage. That stuff happens, although thankfully with far less frequency under Hoke than under RR.

Announcers discussed repeatedly how this was a different offense they were seeing from OSU. Playcalling was very aggressive, a lot of passing on first downs something they hadn't done a lot of before.

Posey is a top talent at WR not sure why some don't see that and Miller is going to be a good college qb before it is done.

As for self-imposing a bowl ban, I doubt the NCAA gives much credit to a team that decides to forgo a bowl game after a 6-6 season, so they might as well use the extra practices to get better now.

Its not so much gaining credit with the NCAA and hoping for a penalty reduction as it is just starting the bowl ban now and getting it over with sooner rather than later. I assume that a bowl ban would have this season count towards it if Ohio State had a self imposed bowl ban this season. So if Ohio State had announced no bowl this season, the NCAA comes back sometime in December or whenever with a ruling of say 3 games, the bowl ban would count for the 2011, 2012, and 2013 seasons. I may be wrong on that assumption, if so I'm sure someone will catch it.

Still have tons of talent. Miller played great and has progressed since his earlier season struggles. He will be a handful the next couple of seasons. After losing 7 in a row, UM needed this one any way they could get it. They gifted them some points to keep it closer than it should have been, but still was a great win for the program.

After losing 7 in a row, UM needed this one any way they could get it. They gifted them some points to keep it closer than it should have been, but still was a great win for the program.

Indeed. And good for Hoke, too. I wonder if there may have a been a bit of a backlash for not getting Harbaugh and "settling on Hoke" (which some seemed to believe at the time) if Ohio State had won? That'd have been a shame.

Indeed. And good for Hoke, too. I wonder if there may have a been a bit of a backlash for not getting Harbaugh and "settling on Hoke" (which some seemed to believe at the time) if Ohio State had won? That'd have been a shame.

Good point. Considering that Harbaugh has pretty much coached up a storm with the 49ers, if Hoke had not done well, I'm sure a lot of knives would be out for the admin that 'lost Harbaugh'.

Yes, because MSU beats them ever-so-often, too. I get that it is a down year for Ohio State, but there is nothing wrong in being pumped over UM beating OSU for the first time in forever.

I'm just talking a little smack... I know UM is pumped, and I get it. 7 years in a row is rough. I mean heck, MSU just broke a 7 game losing streak vs. OSU too -- although MSU didn't play them during some of their most successful seasons.

In all seriousness, you guys did a lot better than I thought you would do this year, despite a soft schedule, and it makes me a little nervous. So congratulations, and I hope, for the sake of the B1G, that you guys get a Houston draw, if you make the BCS.

I'm just talking a little smack... I know UM is pumped, and I get it. 7 years in a row is rough. I mean heck, MSU just broke a 7 game losing streak vs. OSU too -- although MSU didn't play them during some of their most successful seasons.

In all seriousness, you guys did a lot better than I thought you would do this year, despite a soft schedule, and it makes me a little nervous. So congratulations, and I hope, for the sake of the B1G, that you guys get a Houston draw, if you make the BCS.

Love it that the fan of the team that has Indiana as their yearly rivalry points out that the team that has Ohio State as their yearly rivalry had an easy schedule this year.

Not that it isn't true: no Wisconsin, and ND/OSU/Nebraska at home, but damn, we ain't gonna sniff a schedule this easy for another 10 years most probably. Starting next year, with ND/OSU/Neb on the road and Alabama in Dallas.

I find it interesting that some msu fans are trying to downplay michigan's win over osu because osu is down this year. These same fans went nuts when broke their losing streak against Michigan the year we were 3-9.

its a huge rivalry game players on both sides play way over their heads so how much the teams score doesnt matter to me

I find it interesting that some msu fans are trying to downplay michigan's win over osu because osu is down this year. These same fans went nuts when broke their losing streak against Michigan the year we were 3-9.

It's a rivalry... That's what fans do. lol.

It isn't that logical or sensical, and we'll all call foul when it happens against us, but next year if State has a down year without Cousins (a real possibility) and we beat them, State fans will whine and we'll celebrate, just like it was opposite in '08.

Ahhh, sports... :happy: