Sign in to follow this  
bluefan75

So for some people it's ok to do....

In no way am I saying it's bad Ohio State got hammered for all the crap they pulled, but I did find it interesting that if the players sell their memorabilia, they're in trouble, but U of M can auction game worn pants, etc. and there is nothing wrong with that.

Rules are rules, I know, but it just goes to show who the NCAA is designed for. Not that there was ever any real question, but as I said, I did find it interesting.

One involves student athletes getting improper benefits ($$$$, it's a backdoor way of paying players if you allowed them to sell memorabilia, universities could give them stuff to sell) while the other is the program making the money. It's a pretty obvious distinction to me. Ohio State also had a lot of other problems. Dont see how this is even comparable.

Like I said, it simply reinforces who the NCAA really is in place for. Those items aren't worth a darn if the student athlete doesn't perform out there to begin with.... I know what you are saying, but it's obvious the rule is more about making sure the money goes to the "right" place first and foremost. "improper benefits" just allows them to couch it under "amateurism."

OSU had a ton of other things, yes. I just found it funny how who is selling memorabilia changes thiings so much.

yeah it really does make all the difference - that's not to say that the NCAA isn't an unjust cartel, because it totally is, but its definitely not showing favoritism to Michigan over Ohio in this comparison.

If what Ohio was doing were legal, you'd prolly see players changing their unis every series in order to sell each one of them. It would basically be indirect payment.

So if a player sells his jersey now, it's illegal, but who's to say they can't save up their stuff, and sell it after their last game? Would that be permissible?

So if a player sells his jersey now, it's illegal, but who's to say they can't save up their stuff, and sell it after their last game? Would that be permissible?

They can sell whatever they want as soon as they are done playing. It would not effect their eligibility because they don't have to be eligible for anything.