Bambino Lino

The Return of Gerald Laird!

this does feel weird...like taking back an ex girlfriend or something.

However, if Laird means that Alex's knees and other moving parts are healthy enough to ACTUALLY HIT THE DANG BALL in the postseason, I'll take it.

Wishing we acted on Kelly Shoppach. Laird is okay in a limited role, I guess.
I'm not sure how you know they didn't "act on" Shoppach, but he's likely holding out for a chance to start, which he won't get here.

Shoppach would have been ok too, as he hits lefties well, but lets not pretend we'd be in any better shape with him if Avila got hurt. Lesser defender, slightly better hitter. Nothin' to see here IMO.

This is not a bad deal, folks. They need a solid backup, which he certainly is. He knows most of the pitching staff already, he is comfortable with the coaches and management, gets along great with Avila and will accept his secondary role. I have no problem with this at all.

This is a good addition. Hopefully we get him without paying too much. He is a good fit for our current need for someone to keep Avila from being totally used up in a couple of years. He has good chemistry with a lot of the pitching staff that was here during the tenure of his last stint with us.

Good move by D.D. bringing back a guy that is familiar with the staff and hopefully was somewhat reasonably priced, if so, D.D. may have saved a few bucks to throw at 2nd/3rd base and another starter.

I'm not sure how you know they didn't "act on" Shoppach, but he's likely holding out for a chance to start, which he won't get here.

It stated he was one of our targets, which means we probably spoke with him, but probably couldn't come to terms because he wanted twice the money Laird did. I'd be surprised if Shoppach gets a starting job after hitting .175 last year. Laird is average defensively at this point in his career.