mavscougars

Young for Prado. Will it happen? Tigers and Braves talk trade

Rope-a-dope by the Braves. I can see it now -- they have proabably ID'ed another Tiger minor league pitcher they want.

"Well Dave, sorry we couldn't do business today, see you soon..... well....wait....maybe....what say you thow that left-hander you aren't all that high on. No he's not much but he'd be a nice organizational fill for us....."

The rest is History as they say....

just DO NOT trade a pitcher to the Braves.

I'm guessing they might want a Third Baseman to take over for Chipper, since Prado was the heir apparent, possibly this guy: Nick Castellanos Picked by Detroit Tigers in 2010 MLB Draft - YouTube ....NO! But, I would trade Oliver and Castellanos for Prado and Jurrjens tho.

That would mean the Braves would be trading Jurrjens for Oliver.... sign me up for that one!

Rope-a-dope by the Braves. I can see it now -- they have proabably ID'ed another Tiger minor league pitcher they want.

"Well Dave, sorry we couldn't do business today, see you soon..... well....wait....maybe....what say you thow that left-hander you aren't all that high on. No he's not much but he'd be a nice organizational fill for us....."

The rest is History as they say....

just DO NOT trade a pitcher to the Braves.

I feel like the Braves probably want someone like Brayan Villarreal, Jose Ortega, or Brenny Paulino. That's the type of guy they like. Oliver would probably be a reliever for them, too.

I feel like the Braves probably want someone like Brayan Villarreal, Jose Ortega, or Brenny Paulino. That's the type of guy they like. Oliver would probably be a reliever for them, too.

I'd give them Villarreal, Paulino and Young for Prado

2011 AAT Magglio Ordoñez

If they want Andy Oliver for Martin Prado, I'd take it. We all overrated that guy.

Not me. I've called him a LH Nate Cornejo all along. Deer in the headlights...

Not me. I've called him a LH Nate Cornejo all along. Deer in the headlights...

I'm not sure I see the similarities. Oliver is a lefty that can hit 95. Cornejo was damaged goods from overuse. He just didn't have the stuff to get anyone out with that 84 mph fastball.

Martin Prado is a plus hitter, and can play both 2B and 3B. I'd give Delmon + Andy Oliver if need be, or Raburn.

This pretty much sums up where I'm at, although I doubt they bite on Delmon.

I wonder if they would do something like Boesch and Oliver for Prado and Minor. Boesch would be a great get for them and they have a surplus of young pitchers.

I wonder if they would do something like Boesch and Oliver for Prado and Minor. Boesch would be a great get for them and they have a surplus of young pitchers.

No.

2011 AAT Magglio Ordoñez

Elaborate? I don't agree. While Minor is certainly worth more than Oliver, Boesch is worth more than Prado too. A year away from arb still, 2 extra years of control and a player the Braves would overall prefer IMO, as they have soured on Prado a bit from what people are saying. I'd sweeten it with a relief prospect if necessary.

THen we play Prado at 3B and sign Dejesus,Cespedes or some other OF, something we can't do at 3B.

Methinks this is a fair swap....at least from the Braves perspective. Certainly better tHan Elmon

Not sure if I'd consider Oliver a legit trade chip ATM ..even Dombrowski seems to be down on him, to the point of eliminating him as a viable option for the immediate future...why would any other Gms invest as much a gamble in him? It seems Turner, Below, Wilk, Smyly, and perhaps even Voss have stepped ahead of him on the depth chart.

I'd propose a deal of Austin Jackson and prospects Bruce Rondon, Casey Crosby, and Gustavo Nunez for Prado and Jonny Venters. Continue the search for a new centerfielder, as well as a new leadoff hitter.

Elmon is just not gonna get it done with Frank Wren, IMO.

Would you trade Raburn for Prado?

Probably. Prado is the better defender @ 2B, probably better suited for the top of the order than Raburn. But I'd still look to move Young and get a better defender in LF (likely seperate moves). The Tigers could still roll with Young in LF and Prado @ 2B which is better than Young in LF and Raburn @ 2B. I still think Raburn in LF and Prado @ 2B is the best of the 3 options (not that these should be the only options considered on November 16th).

And then what?

We're then stuck with Young in LF and no one in RF?

Dirks?

Really......?

oH hAI Ryan Raburn!

/ducks

"Look, Frank, it's true that Raburn doesn't play well in the beginning of the year, but we're in the North! It's cold in the North! Surely, playing in a balmy April day in Georgia will allow his bat to flourish, right?

And besides, you totally owe me."

And then what?

We're then stuck with Young in LF and no one in RF?

Dirks?

Really......?

Well Young or Raburn in the OF is a lot better than Inge at 3B anyways, but what I said was that we could sign a FA replacement for the OF MUCH easier than we could sign a similar 3B. Dejesus and Cespedes are who I prefer.

Even if we had to go with Young/Raburn/Dirks, which I don't want to do, we'd still be a better overall team with Minor in that 5 slot and Prado hitting 2nd and playing 3B than with Boesch in RF and Oliver doing whatever. The Braves OTOH have a pitching surplus and need a young, cost controlled slugging corner OF.

Methinks this is a fair swap....at least from the Braves perspective. Certainly better tHan Elmon

Not sure if I'd consider Oliver a legit trade chip ATM ..even Dombrowski seems to be down on him, to the point of eliminating him as a viable option for the immediate future...why would any other Gms invest as much a gamble in him? It seems Turner, Below, Wilk, Smyly, and perhaps even Voss have stepped ahead of him on the depth chart.

I'd propose a deal of Austin Jackson and prospects Bruce Rondon, Casey Crosby, and Gustavo Nunez for Prado and Jonny Venters. Continue the search for a new centerfielder, as well as a new leadoff hitter.

Elmon is just not gonna get it done with Frank Wren, IMO.

Well Truman made the point they might want a RHOF and if that is so this may not work out. Not really sure though. Boesch does hit lefties well so maybe it doesn't matter.

Venters is a stud, but if we are going to go after one of their young pitchers I want a starter. Bullpen guys can be found and Venters got a really heavy workload for a young guy last year. Fell apart at the end as did Kimbrel. They have 4 young starters plus Jurjens, so I'd like to get a SP out of the deal.

I'm not saying Oliver is a particularly valuable trade chip who is specifically coveted, but all teams have Wilk/Below types. Oliver still has impressive stuff and some upside if he can get his control down a bit. He's kind of a throw in to complete the deal built around Boesch, not the guy that entices them to do it. Teams trade for risk/reward type prospects all the time in deals like this. I remember when Cleveland traded Lee to Philly they took back a prospect just off Tommy John because of his upside and potential. Teams would rather gamble on a high end talent rather than take back AAAA, organizational types.

Don't think they want Jackson as they just got Bourn.

Prado would be a tremendous addition for the spots he fills in the order and the field.

Assuming that covers either 2B or 3B, I hope the Tigers continue to try to improve the other spot. On MLB radio this morning they said the Mariners are trying to entice the Tigers, Giants or a 3rd team I can't remember (Rockies, maybe) to take Figgins off their hands for a mediocre prospect with the Mariners paying a big portion of Figgins' salary. His time in Seattle has been a disaster, but if he could return to anywhere near his Angels' production, a Figgins/Prado combo in the infield and atop the order would look nice. It would be worth a cheap gamble to find out about Figgins.

Then if those (assuming) low-costs are made, and if they think Cespedes is the real deal, they could probably go all-out for him to finish off the position player re-tooling without sacrificing any player talent of real consequence.

All of this sounds scary good in theory.