mavscougars

Young for Prado. Will it happen? Tigers and Braves talk trade

I just read on MLB that the Tigers are shopping Delmon Young for Martin Prado of the Braves. What are you thoughts on this?

Edited by mavscougars

Wouldn't bother me a bit. Prado is more versatile and better defensively and fills a number of roles. Delmon has a higher upside potential, but the Tigers need help at 3b/2b/of and Prado gives them more freedom to make better deals to fill out their roster. If they don't find the right 2b at the right price, they can move Prado there and find a LF.

I hope they can find some kind of leadoff hitter though. I like AJ and want him in CF, but not at leadoff.

Not a fan of this. Prado has some pop in his bat, but not a fan of giving up Young.

Please explain your reasoning behind this. Prado is only 2 years older than DY. Prado has a career .293/.341/.775 line. DY has a career .288/.321/.749 line. Not a huge difference, besides OBP, which is what we need right now. This, along with the fact that Prado is much more versatile and a much better defender at positions of need. This along with getting rid of DY's overpaid, overrated butt? If this trade went down with only a middling prospect sent to them as well, i would probably pee myself.

EDIT:

Also, depending on who else we can get a good deal for, we can throw prado at either 2B, 3B or left field. Helps the team tremendously.

Edited by cbraendle

Sounds like the Braves have lost a lot of confidence in Martin Prado. I love the fact of giving Delmon Young's 2013 contract status to some other team to have to sort out. When Young has a monster 2012 season, let the Braves figure out if he's worth $10-ish million to sign per year when he can't field is position very well in the OF.

Honestly, I think Young has a very high offensive ceiling but you have to include his defense costing you some runs too. Prado had a ugly year last year but compare Prado's ugly year against free agent Santiago and see what you think.

If I may, it makes sense to put Prado at 3B, but his offensive numbers are better over his career from his 2B playing days al-la Peralta 3B vs. SS situation. Any objections to sticking Prado at 2B and doing something else with 3B?!?

Sounds like the Braves have lost a lot of confidence in Martin Prado. I love the fact of giving Delmon Young's 2013 contract status to some other team to have to sort out. When Young has a monster 2012 season, let the Braves figure out if he's worth $10-ish million to sign per year when he can't field is position very well in the OF.

Honestly, I think Young has a very high offensive ceiling but you have to include his defense costing you some runs too. Prado had a ugly year last year but compare Prado's ugly year against free agent Santiago and see what you think.

If I may, it makes sense to put Prado at 3B, but his offensive numbers are better over his career from his 2B playing days al-la Peralta 3B vs. SS situation. Any objections to sticking Prado at 2B and doing something else with 3B?!?

Seems like they're looking at prado to play 2B. If Prado hits .280/.320/.415 is -3 runs at 2B, he's essentially neil walker, who was worth 3 wins last year. That's way more than Delmon, even with the overstatement of MIF guys' WAR. At 3B, if he rebounds to his normal level, he's a 3.5-4 win player because his defense is better at 3B. I don't really care where they play him, it depends on who else we'd get to play the other position.

Prado would be a tremendous addition for the spots he fills in the order and the field.

Assuming that covers either 2B or 3B, I hope the Tigers continue to try to improve the other spot. On MLB radio this morning they said the Mariners are trying to entice the Tigers, Giants or a 3rd team I can't remember (Rockies, maybe) to take Figgins off their hands for a mediocre prospect with the Mariners paying a big portion of Figgins' salary. His time in Seattle has been a disaster, but if he could return to anywhere near his Angels' production, a Figgins/Prado combo in the infield and atop the order would look nice. It would be worth a cheap gamble to find out about Figgins.

Then if those (assuming) low-costs are made, and if they think Cespedes is the real deal, they could probably go all-out for him to finish off the position player re-tooling without sacrificing any player talent of real consequence.

Delmon has a higher upside potential...

Young has over 3,000 career PA's, including the playoffs. He is what he is. This notion that he's got some sort of huge upside potential is purely based upon being the #1 overall pick in 2003. That was 8 years ago and really has nothing to do with what Young is today. And that is a league average bat and below average defender.

I would take Prado in a heartbeat. He's a superior bat, a better defender, and plays multiple positions. And every position that he plays, is a position of need (2B, 3B, LF). It would give us a lot of flexibility.

Although the flexibility is theoretical, because I think Leyland would pigeon hole him in the least valuable spot --- LF --- even though he should be at 2B or 3B.

I would rather let Young walk rather than sign him, so to get anything for him would be pretty agreeable to me.

To get Martin Prado - an actual player with value who fills team needs well - I'd be willing to sweeten the pot without thinking twice.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

Tigers Interested In Martin Prado: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

TUESDAY, 10:55am: "There is a trade brewing between the Braves and Tigers centering around Prado for Young," reports ESPN's Jim Bowden. However, MLB.com's Mark Bowman says there won't be a Young-Prado deal, as the majority of the Braves' front office isn't interested in Young.

Would you trade Raburn for Prado?

Yes, Raburn can hit better but Prado is a better and more versatile fielder, and younger.

Buster says the Braves aren't interested in Elmon for Prado.

Rope-a-dope by the Braves. I can see it now -- they have proabably ID'ed another Tiger minor league pitcher they want.

"Well Dave, sorry we couldn't do business today, see you soon..... well....wait....maybe....what say you thow that left-hander you aren't all that high on. No he's not much but he'd be a nice organizational fill for us....."

The rest is History as they say....

just DO NOT trade a pitcher to the Braves.

Edited by Gehringer_2